MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   350z racecar or part time child commuter? (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/620831-350z-racecar-or-part-time-child-commuter.html)

Gadget 11-20-2018 01:26 AM

350z racecar or part time child commuter?

Current situation : 06 350z, no second car, 6 year old daughter that lives 10 miles away.

So I originally wanted to try and swap g35 rear interior in but saw that someone had tried and was doing good but then hit a barrier he couldn't work around. I then remembered seeing a child seat anchor in the hatch area which means the Z can technically have a car seat in it even though the manual recommends 12yr+ and an airbag shut off switch.

​​​​​​I have an idea of what to do that would be perfectly legal in my state but I'd really like to try and sit her in the back somehow for extra safety. Headroom wouldn't be an issue because she's only 4ft and space isn't an issue either because she's only 35lbs. I'm not worried about how ugly it looks, just as long as it's safe to get her through a 20 minute round trip a couple times a week.

My alternative idea is to remove the bucket passenger seat and replace with a low mount fixed position bracket and flat fabric seat to prevent sliding or sitting lop sided. Next I would remove the airbag completely from the passenger side as it is not required where I live for inspection.

Dont bother with "sell and buy a G or a beater" i have too much money invested in my Z and the money I'd spend on a commuter car to have my daughter in it twice a week would cost far more than modifying my Z to accommodate a short travel with a tiny passenger.

Thoughts and ideas?

bealljk 11-20-2018 05:58 AM

a few thoughts ...

Seeing that it's legal, moral, and ethical to strap a car-seat into your current vehicle I would do just that and channel / focus all this 'energy' on driving safe and responsible (mostly when she's in the car).

You can come up with the most elaborate (which contains the word 'labor') setup in the world but getting T-boned by a 18-wheeler will be a whole-n'other animal...and if you stow her away in the back you're just making it harder for the paramedics and fire-rescue to excavate her from a pile of crumpled metal.

Lastly, Nissan designed the car in it's current configuration (ie seats, seat belts, anchors, airbags, crumple-zones, etc) to safeguard passengers sitting in those designated areas ... by re-engineering this you are un-doing their countless countless hours of research, design, testing, etc...all for zero gain (at best).

other lastly - if you do start modifying the safety components of the car AND are in a no-fault accident you may have a very very hard time collecting money from your insurance or the at-faults drivers' insurance for damages or medical because you modified the safety elements of the vehicle.

next lastly - I know you said it ... but you drive this very nice (tons of money invested) rear wheel drive vehicle in NY weather? I'm not trying to get into a pissing match of who has more cash invested/lost/sunk in our vehicles but the best thing I ever did was buy a decent pickup for my daily and Colorado-winter driving - my z sits nicely in my garage - 15years old with 65k miles on it. Might you reconsider a second/winter/child hauler??

dkmura 11-20-2018 06:45 AM

Bealjlk makes some excellent points- I'll only say that your Z is NOT a racecar when all you're doing is stripping the interior. Don't do anything that gives personal injury attorneys another easy target for a lawsuit. Finally, I drive an inexpensive Nissan Versa when the snow flies, and keep my Z in the garage as well. Those type of cheap, FWD cars are safer when you add snow tires and isn't your precious daughter worth it?

terrasmak 11-20-2018 07:52 AM

Time to pull the pants up and be an adult. Sell the Z or just buy another car to haul the most important thing in your life around.

Freise 11-20-2018 08:18 AM

It's not what you are looking to hear but even the child seat anchor in the Z is a federal requirement to sell the vehicle, not a feature voluntarily put in by nissan so you can enjoy the car with a small child.

Gadget 11-20-2018 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by terrasmak (Post 10976998)
Time to pull the pants up and be an adult. Sell the Z or just buy another car to haul the most important thing in your life around.

Lol sell my car because my daughter lives 10 minutes away, ill just Uber.

Also the racecar comment was a joke lol I figured it was self explanatory. The thing is 3700lbs with only 300hp. Maximas make more than that. 350z are only good for looks and sending into walls.

Thanks to the one person who commented with useful information regarding seat placement and safety designed.

Ill be checking out fabric flat seats and multi point harness since basically that's what a car seat is and remove the airbags. The speed limit is 45 the whole way with minimal traffic.

Everyday is a risk, everything is a risk, i feel confident i can do this safely or as safe as i can and if that changes I won't do it. Yall other posters just wasted your time responding

Gadget 11-20-2018 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Freise (Post 10977007)
It's not what you are looking to hear but even the child seat anchor in the Z is a federal requirement to sell the vehicle, not a feature voluntarily put in by nissan so you can enjoy the car with a small child.

Yes I understand that. Im not interested in doing this to go joy ride with my 6 year old.. I won't be driving anywhere else with her in the car besides the flat 45mph road straight shot to her house. Once maybe twice a week 🤷*♂️.

bealljk 11-20-2018 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gadget (Post 10977010)
Lol sell my car because my daughter lives 10 minutes away, ill just Uber.

Also the racecar comment was a joke lol I figured it was self explanatory. The thing is 3700lbs with only 300hp. Maximas make more than that. 350z are only good for looks and sending into walls.

Thanks to the one person who commented with useful information regarding seat placement and safety designed.

Ill be checking out fabric flat seats and multi point harness since basically that's what a car seat is and remove the airbags. The speed limit is 45 the whole way with minimal traffic.

Everyday is a risk, everything is a risk, i feel confident i can do this safely or as safe as i can and if that changes I won't do it. Yall other posters just wasted your time responding

We live in the best county in the world and in the history of mankind - this is America and no one will stop you from doing whatever you want to your car. Even if it's against the betterment of you and your offspring.

But re-read your initial post - you asked for thoughts and ideas - which you got...now go and do whatever you please but don't be mad or upset that a slice of z-owners gave you a variety of opinions and/or suggestions that didn't line-up with your preconceived notions.

lifekenophobic 11-20-2018 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by terrasmak (Post 10976998)

Clearly, his "racecar" is far more important to him than his own flesh and blood. I had to re-read the original post to make sure I read the situation correctly. Sadly, I did.

Gadget 11-20-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bealljk (Post 10977012)
We live in the best county in the world and in the history of mankind - this is America and no one will stop you from doing whatever you want to your car. Even if it's against the betterment of you and your offspring.

But re-read your initial post - you asked for thoughts and ideas - which you got...now go and do whatever you please but don't be mad or upset that a slice of z-owners gave you a variety of opinions and/or suggestions that didn't line-up with your preconceived notions.

​​​​​Im not disgruntled in the slightest. I asked for thoughts and opinions such ideas on how to do it as safe as possible and things to be aware of. I got that from one response. The rest soo far are "Sell uR car" "if you care about your daughter" "you drive your z in the winter?!"

Gadget 11-20-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by lifekenophobic (Post 10977013)
Clearly, his "racecar" is far more important to him than his own flesh and blood. I had to re-read the original post to make sure I read the situation correctly. Sadly, I did.

Well yeah, if I crash and she dies and the car is totalled and I don't get any charges I can buy a real racecar with the ins money and child care im saving.

bealljk 11-20-2018 08:40 AM

time to close this thread before it burns to the ground...

and Gadget - be careful what you post on the internet ... it's forever ... you do get into an accident and a shroud insurance lawyer will dig this up and use it against you.

jhc 11-20-2018 09:09 AM

Wait, 6 yr olds sit in what kind of "car seat"?

dkmura 11-20-2018 11:44 AM

The thing is 3700lbs with only 300hp. Maximas make more than that. 350z are only good for looks and sending into walls.

As one who actually still races the Z33 in sanctioned road racing events, I beg to differ. The Z's handling and great brakes, combined with either DE or HR power, have been a serious threat for years. Whether the opposition has come from marques like Porsche (Boxter), BMW (E46), Ford (Mustang), Honda (S2K), Mazda (RX8) or others, the 350Z is more than just a good looking car. Sending it into a wall (or around a lamppost), is due to the driver's skill or (lack of) judgement.

BluestreamDE 11-20-2018 03:46 PM

350z are only good for looks and sending into walls...

Edgy... You told us!

If I crash and she dies and the car is totalled and I don't get any charges I can buy a real racecar with the ins money and child care im saving.

Goals af bro... Get your daughter killed, prove innocence, Buy GTR. You got life all figured out...

mr. sparco 11-20-2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget (Post 10976982)
350z racecar or part time child commuter? i have too much money invested in my Z

Pics of 350z.

Originally Posted by Gadget
Well yeah, if I crash and she dies and the car is totalled and I don't get any charges I can buy a real racecar with the ins money and child care im saving.

Sad.

bealljk 11-20-2018 11:00 PM

good lord were all a bunch of retards ... f'n retards and I put myself at the top of the retard list ... retard retard retard ... just a bunch of stupid mo'fo'n retarded sobs...

why I even responded to this thread and the invest 15cents worth of common cents was a huge mistake ... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

but, yes...I'd like to see pics and see how much is 'invested' into this car...cold air intake, tire-shop rims w/all season radials, harness bar, and 4point harness...

BluestreamDE 11-20-2018 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by bealljk (Post 10977071)
good lord were all a bunch of retards ... f'n retards and I put myself at the top of the retard list ... retard retard retard ... just a bunch of stupid mo'fo'n retarded sobs...

why I even responded to this thread and the invest 15cents worth of common cents was a huge mistake ... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

but, yes...I'd like to see pics and see how much is 'invested' into this car...cold air intake, tire-shop rims w/all season radials, harness bar, and 4point harness...

https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/...st-350z-2.html

Post#27, another run of the mill hellerflush z on stretched tires.

Heel Til I Die 11-21-2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gadget (Post 10977017)

You'll be fine... just don't try to do sick drifts tomorrow on Dugan Day

jhc 11-21-2018 02:24 PM

That's right- tomorrow is Thanksgiving!