Beginning mods - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Beginning mods

Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM
  #1  
Anglikan
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Beginning mods

Hello everyone! Iíve heard of this website for a quite a while and decided to come here for help. Iíve had my 2004 touring 350z for a little over a year and Iím ready to move away from (mostly) stock. I already have an intake and exhaust on her, but I was never really taught about cars as a kid so I donít really know much. I understand some most of the basics but I was just looking for some help on first mods, or places to learn about what more I should do with my Z. If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!
Anglikan is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM
  #2  
Chihuahuamaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 85
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Welcome, the type of modifications will depend on what you want to do with the car. You say you have an intake and exhaust, you have to consider if it's worth it to bother with any extra power mods besides those.

On a 2004 I would look into replacing worn bushings, and ball joints/ tie rods, if they are bad.
Also changing fluids if you have no record of changing them.

A good way to search using Google is:
"what you want to search for" site:my350z.com.
It is likely that what you want to ask, has been covered many times over.
Chihuahuamaster is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chihuahuamaster For This Useful Post:
rustyschopshop (12-13-2018), Spike100 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 AM
  #3  
Anglikan
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster View Post
Welcome, the type of modifications will depend on what you want to do with the car. You say you have an intake and exhaust, you have to consider if it's worth it to bother with any extra power mods besides those.

On a 2004 I would look into replacing worn bushings, and ball joints/ tie rods, if they are bad.
Also changing fluids if you have no record of changing them.

A good way to search using Google is:
"what you want to search for" site:my350z.com.
It is likely that what you want to ask, has been covered many times over.
well, itís my daily driver. Lots of straight shots on back roads and a few nice turns I like to send it around. Yes, I desperately need to go around and replace all those, Iíve had a bad problem with my clutch making very loud rattles below 2k rpm. I keep my oil changes regular but thatís about it. If thereís any critical fluids I should be changing regularly as my oil please let me know, I would hate to keep abusing my car by not know what to keep up with.

Ive been making a lot of money to have a fun with, and everything I research on things like turbos, fuel injectors, and high flow cats, itís all confusing. I get many different answers on weather I need certain mods before I add another. Such as, people saying I MUST have better fuel injectors, but others say itís no problem at all. I just donít want to buy mods for my car and break it because I didnít get something else. (Fist things first though, new rims. Any suggestions?) thank you,
Anglikan is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:05 AM
  #4  
Heel Til I Die
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 748
Thanked 164 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Anglikan View Post
well, itís my daily driver. Lots of straight shots on back roads and a few nice turns I like to send it around. Yes, I desperately need to go around and replace all those, Iíve had a bad problem with my clutch making very loud rattles below 2k rpm. I keep my oil changes regular but thatís about it. If thereís any critical fluids I should be changing regularly as my oil please let me know, I would hate to keep abusing my car by not know what to keep up with.

Ive been making a lot of money to have a fun with, and everything I research on things like turbos, fuel injectors, and high flow cats, itís all confusing. I get many different answers on weather I need certain mods before I add another. Such as, people saying I MUST have better fuel injectors, but others say itís no problem at all. I just donít want to buy mods for my car and break it because I didnít get something else. (Fist things first though, new rims. Any suggestions?) thank you,
No offense OP, but you seem rather unknowledgeable when it comes to cars, and more importantly, your Z. Best advice is to keep reading and doing research. This site has a lot of useful info about maintenance, DIYs, etc. Everyone also has a different opinion on what the best _____ is. There are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself. Are you staying N/A or are you going F/I? Is your budget $3,500 or $35,000? Do you want more focus on suspension upgrades or are you trying to go as fast as possible in a straight line? You get the idea...

Read this: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...to-your-z.html

Then this: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

Heel Til I Die is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Heel Til I Die For This Useful Post:
rustyschopshop (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM
  #5  
Chihuahuamaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 85
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Well I would definitely take care of maintenance or any known problems before modifying anything else.
It's normal to hear some flywheel chatter at low rpms, but you will have to see if there's a real issue there.

As for fluids; coolant, transmission, and differential are the main ones. But these dont need to be changed as much as oil. I personally change these around 50k miles.

Thinking of turbos, you are getting to a whole different level of mechanical knowledge required, as well as cost. And in my experience, you can throw reliability/ daily driver, out of the question, when you add boost.

There are many wheel choices. The main thing to keep in mind is wheel width, and offset. You could also look into used take off wheels, from a 370z or similar. There are some nice looking options, and they are forged.

Again, all of these things will take alot of research and planning.
Chihuahuamaster is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Chihuahuamaster For This Useful Post:
Anglikan (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:57 PM
  #6  
Cracka350
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Cracka350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 141
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Hey Anglikan! All previous advice is very good. I have a lightly modded '05 Z as well so I have a feel for your situation.

-God forbid your front end ever get damaged (covered by insurance), tell the shop to order the '06 bumper cover. It'll cost you an extra $200 plus the two grill pieces.
-I also bought a used set of 06 wheels that are lighter and look better for 500 bucks.
-Urethane control arm bushings are great for the car but a super B to install them so get a friend whose handy. Apply the same to your diff bushings for crisper power transfer.
-I just spent 450 bucks upgrading the brakes to 06's. It's dual piston and wider diameter disks. Better braking for half the price of BBK's Write-up thread with pics
-Assuming your exhaust and mid-pipe are wider diameter than stock you can upgrade your y-pipe and get high flow cats. but you wont see any real gains unless you dyno tune. Thats gonna be 400-700 so that's down the road.

Start easy and build your wrenching skills man. There are alot of rusty and highly torqued bolts on your car so the right tools make the difference between getting the job done at 6PM or midnight. Ask me how I know.

Welcome to the forum
Cracka350 is online now  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM
  #7  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,886
Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,393 Posts
Default

Bear with me people, but it's been a while and it's time to pull out my now only once-annually line.....

Driver's school.

Or track days, autocross, etc.

There is NO better way to spend money to enjoy a car (ANY car) than to learn how to properly operate it.... go, brake, turn, stop. Knowing how to better manage your car at speed is something that requires NO hardware and it's the only "modification" that transfers to EVERY car you'll ever own without further wrenching, money dumping... just add practice.

Side benefit of "Driver modification" is it gives you a clearer understanding of what you (not your car) need to make your car do what you want it to do to suit your driving; e.g., it understeers.... add swaybars and adjust.... it bounces too much on dips, add both way adjustable shocks... etc. etc. That way, the car becomes suited to YOU, not the other way around.

There, said it. Haha....
MicVelo is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MicVelo For This Useful Post:
Anglikan (12-14-2018), dkmura (12-14-2018), khnitz (12-14-2018), RobPhoboS (12-18-2018), Spike100 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:06 PM
  #8  
Anglikan
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die View Post
No offense OP, but you seem rather unknowledgeable when it comes to cars, and more importantly, your Z. Best advice is to keep reading and doing research. This site has a lot of useful info about maintenance, DIYs, etc. Everyone also has a different opinion on what the best _____ is. There are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself. Are you staying N/A or are you going F/I? Is your budget $3,500 or $35,000? Do you want more focus on suspension upgrades or are you trying to go as fast as possible in a straight line? You get the idea...

Read this: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...to-your-z.html

Then this: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html
As i said in my original post, i have never learned much about cars in general, thats why i came here, i hoped to get some useful advice, which i have been getting that. also, maybe no so much as a straight shot car, but more looks with a little modding to make it just a bit faster, i dont want a track car but i want something a little more than what i have.
Anglikan is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 04:01 PM
  #9  
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mass
Posts: 6,382
Thanked 879 Times in 701 Posts
Default

I would go with diff bushings, and then a zspeed under shrowd
​​
dboyzalter is online now  
Old 12-14-2018, 04:11 PM
  #10  
Heel Til I Die
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 748
Thanked 164 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Anglikan View Post
As i said in my original post, i have never learned much about cars in general, thats why i came here, i hoped to get some useful advice, which i have been getting that. also, maybe no so much as a straight shot car, but more looks with a little modding to make it just a bit faster, i dont want a track car but i want something a little more than what i have.
If you've got between $2,500-$3,500 (range because of quality), you'll gain at most around 40 whp with bolt-ons and a tune. If you want to break 300 at the wheels N/A, it is possible, but you'll likely need to go F/I.

Even though I've just about maxed out my "power mods," I still feel like the best (or most fun) mods have been done to the suspension and upgraded clutch/flywheel. Slap on some lightweight wheels and sticky tires, and the Z comes alive
Heel Til I Die is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:30 PM
  #11  
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mass
Posts: 6,382
Thanked 879 Times in 701 Posts
Default

I have suspension mods, and light weight wheels and my Z just died in the middle of driving... I just put it in first and let orr the clutch and it started right back up... But that wasn't cool...

So I'm going to change my recommendation to ummm differential bushings and the Z speed undershrowd.
dboyzalter is online now  
Old 12-18-2018, 01:04 AM
  #12  
Shoomakan
Registered User
 
Shoomakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Posts: 66
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

So, in your situation I'd tackle things like this.

1. Make sure fluids, spark plugs, injectors and air filter are fresh.
2. Address your clutch/flywheel issue. Get a single mass flywheel in there with a stock clutch kit. That'll be fine for however much power you make without a turbo or supercharger. (SMFW = ~$400)
3. Make sure all bushings are fine, replace as necessary. Either OEM or a polyurethane aftermarket solution. But those get pricey quick.
4. Add a plenum spacer and a Y-pipe to your car. ($~450)
5. Re tune the car. (~$550)
6. Add a set of stiffer swaybars (non adjustable are fine, don't be duped into buying expensive adjustable units if your car is a street car that doesn't live on the track). (~$300)
7. Shock and spring combo. I have tried and highly recommend the Bilstein B12 kit. (~$1000)

I think the above is what makes a Z the way it should have been from the factory in terms of power and handling. It'll be reliable, fun, not too stiff, and still perfectly manageable to drive every day. If your budget won't allow that much money thrown at it I'd start with 1, 2, 3, and 6 and/or 7.
Shoomakan is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:40 PM
  #13  
onevq35de
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Sweaty South NC
Posts: 500
Thanked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Anglikan View Post
Hello everyone! Iíve heard of this website for a quite a while and decided to come here for help. Iíve had my 2004 touring 350z for a little over a year and Iím ready to move away from (mostly) stock. I already have an intake and exhaust on her, but I was never really taught about cars as a kid so I donít really know much. I understand some most of the basics but I was just looking for some help on first mods, or places to learn about what more I should do with my Z. If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!
Hit it with a cool 250 shot of n2o and call it a day, but don't forget to make a vid of the 1st time you use it. Can't beat n2o dollar per hp/tq.
onevq35de is offline  
Old 12-19-2018, 06:16 AM
  #14  
Franknbeans
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Franknbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: North of Pitt. PA
Posts: 245
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

When people say change your fluids.. .Make sure you do your bake fluid.

Who cares how fast you can go if you can't stop.

Get that clutch fixed.
Brake fluid
Stainless Brake Lines
Brake Pads

Late braking means you can make a viper give you a point by.



Last edited by Franknbeans; 12-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Franknbeans is online now  
Old 12-19-2018, 10:49 AM
  #15  
kauai1800
Registered User
 
kauai1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kauai
Posts: 115
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Aloha!
Agree with above ideas completely. For me thus far best mods are:
1) Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
2) Lighter 19" wheels from Advanti (about 23 pounds each)
3) Plenum Spacer
4) Replacing old *** headlights that were hazed up with some fresh ones
5) Gotta get a gearshift **** that you like!

I've already had lots of driving school classes in the past - they're really useful too for getting the most out of the car. Autocross too...
kauai1800 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JOMZSHAKES
Engine & Drivetrain
8
08-18-2010 11:20 AM
Wheelman
Engine & Drivetrain
12
01-26-2009 10:59 PM
TomConner91
Intake Exhaust
6
01-11-2008 10:44 PM
kaos1
Engine & Drivetrain
17
03-11-2005 06:27 PM
zzzyaaa
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
2
08-24-2002 06:41 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beginning mods


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: