MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Need help (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/621036-need-help.html)

KleosTheGuy 12-31-2018 03:56 PM

Need help

Could someone recommend me some sites where I can buy an engine for a 2003 350z? Mine has 182k miles and it's pretty beat up so I'm looking to get a new one. Another question, do you guys think that if would better to get the new engine and replace it or to just buy another Z?

bealljk 12-31-2018 04:23 PM

What do you want out of this car?

Let me throw out some plausible scenarios...

#1 - I just need a reliable daily driver and dont care what I drive ... Then you should sell the car and buy a honda civic

#2 - I love the car want to keep it how it is but my engine is hurting ... Then you should have the engine rebuilt to OEM spec or find a low-mileage VQDE to drop in.

#3 - I'm bat-sh!t crazy, want more more more power, love turbos/supercharger/tuning/problem solving, I have copious amounts of disposable income and nothing better to spend it on ... Then you should get a built block, add turbos, and purchase a dyno...

dkmura 12-31-2018 05:05 PM

The other question you should ask yourself is how beat up is your current Z? Remember, even if you purchase a rebuilt short block, the ancillary parts (alternator, HVAC, clutch/tranny, etc.) have to be reused and could fail over time. It also sounds like you don't have the skills or ability to work on the Z you own, so you need to factor in good, skilled labor to rebuild your car.

As for referrals for sites, it's better to find a local machine shop to get some pricing on rebuilt VQ engines, and what it'll cost to install one.

bealljk 12-31-2018 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10980268)
a rebuilt short block

a rebuilt engine or a donor engine - there's not guarantee … something could break just as easily

Jap*vette 12-31-2018 10:41 PM

Me personally I would just drive it until something catastrophic happened. As for finding another engine I would check Craig's or any other "private seller app" but I think you will still get quite a few thousand more out of the original engine with regular maintenance. I still want a 350z lol good luck with your search!

AX8 01-01-2019 04:12 AM

I'd replace it. The whole car.

Happy Shopping, and with some luck and patience...
You could stumble on a low mileage, good priced replacement out there...

mr. sparco 01-01-2019 08:24 AM

ebay

Search on ebay "jdm vq35de" I used to engine swap my cars all the time back in the days. Won't be cheap but wouldn't hesitate on buying a jdm engine. Most import places give you a 30 day warranty.

kauai1800 01-01-2019 01:46 PM

If it’s not having problems then just drive it until it does. A rebuilt engine and installation labor cost about the same (or more) than the car is worth.

icer5160 01-02-2019 03:51 PM

I like importpartspro (IPP). They aren't cheap, but you would get a quality built or rebuilt engine. If you're on a slim budget, your best bet is grabbing a used engine from an AT 350Z at an auto dismantler that specializes in Nissans. This assumes you have the knowledge, tools, and stable (garage/work space) to handle an engine swap. It's not a very difficult task to achieve if you can keep things organized, but most importantly you need free time to do it. Time has always been my "Achilles Heel" when car projects come into play. If you don't have the means to do this yourself, I'm sure you could find a decent mechanic who would be willing to take this on. Labor costs vary widely depending on location, out here in CA the labor alone would outweigh the costs of parts and I trust most shops here about as far as I can spit, but that said if you look hard enough you will find an honest mechanic/shop. Whatever you do, I wish you luck!
-Icer

FlashEvolution 01-07-2019 09:56 AM

Why do you want to replace the engine? I have 180k on my 03 and the car has a very poor maintenance history from previous owners, but it doesn't skip a beat. In my opinion, I would drive it until it has issues or sell it while its still drivable and find something with lower miles if mileage is a concern. As far as used engine with warranty, I've purchased a few from LKQ (not VQs, but for other cars) shipped to my home with a 6 month/6,000 mile warranty. They have a few complete assembly DEs for sale for around $1,000

bad boyz 01-10-2019 10:30 PM

All the advice has been very sound just my .02$ baby it as much as possible and drive it while saving enough money for the swap at the same time save enough money to replace other components that also will need replacing quite soon,that way you can enjoy it while looking to restore it in the near future therefore causing you less stress!!