Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fix / Cover Rust on Fender Edge

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 AM
fcp4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix / Cover Rust on Fender Edge

Hello all! I know this is a 350z forum.... however, cars are very similar and probably rust in the same areas... so I am seeking advice on how to go about fixing some rust around my fenders. Autobody shops are quoting me in the $2-4K and being a college student thats just not possible (until I graduate in May) So what is the best way to fix some of this rust temporarily? sanding and painting with POR-15? coating it in a rust preventer and attaching one of those universal fender arch covers? Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with...

and would the 350z nismo fender flares fit on the G35?

Any help would be much appreciated... Thank You!

PASSENGER SIDE FENDER RUST BELOW

Passenger Side Rust

Passenger Side Rust

Passenger Side Rust
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________

DRIVER SIDE RUST (THE BAD SIDE)

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust
Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Well, one cheap fix would be to sand the rusty sections down to clean metal and apply a rust converter. The problem is getting to the inside of the fender and stopping the rust from eating away steel on that side. The rear fenders are dual wall, so it'll take some patience to get it done right. The good news is that it should dry to a hard, black coat that can be primed and painted over.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Well, one cheap fix would be to sand the rusty sections down to clean metal and apply a rust converter. The problem is getting to the inside of the fender and stopping the rust from eating away steel on that side. The rear fenders are dual wall, so it'll take some patience to get it done right. The good news is that it should dry to a hard, black coat that can be primed and painted over.
This is solid. ^^^

POR-15 works very well so long as you follow the directions very carefully and apply the sealer after treating the rust zones. Yours is a pretty bad case so it's going to take some diligent work to get to it all. The key is to work in small sections, one fender at a time. I've not had to work with rust in a long time given the quality of modern car bodies and a good schedule of maintenance. But did have two very small areas to deal with on my now-departed 240Z and as it did 30 years ago, the POR-15 worked great.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:52 AM
khnitz

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the same problem areas on the rear fender lips of my Z - my Z has spent all of its life in MI, and the previous owner did use it year round. My plan is to treat the rust as described by dkmura and micvelo, and then apply Nismo-look flares over the top to restore and support the fender lip. I like the Nismo flares because they are very thin and don't jut out too far from the body.

Now, if only I could find similar low-profile flares to treat and cover the fender lip rust on my 2005 Dodge Ram...
Old 01-21-2019, 01:51 PM
fatjoe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check out Chrisfix

I saw a youtube video from a kid calling himself chrisfix. His video was straight forward and seemed very your-friendly.