2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan dealerships recommending 0w20?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 02:35 PM
heyyouduh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan dealerships recommending 0w20?

Recently went to a Nissan dealership in S Fl to get an oil change and the only synthetic they had is 0w20, they said that is what Nissan recommends now for a couple of years. Maybe for the gas mileage but that seems to be too low weight, esp if car's tracked.

My car has seen almost always Mobil 1 5w30, with a few Castrol synthetic 5w30 mixed in. I am sure for daily driving 0w20 will be fine, but will likely swap it back to 5w30 before next track day.

Anyone with experience using 0w20 in their Z? And is this really a thing in other parts of the country?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:40 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I live in Colorado and race throughout the country. Mobil 1 0-40 FS has been my oil of choice over the past four seasons. Whether it's near freezing in March/April or boiling in July/August, that particular spec has done quite well in UOAs for both my street and race Zs.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:53 PM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by dkmura
I live in Colorado and race throughout the country. Mobil 1 0-40 FS has been my oil of choice over the past four seasons. Whether it's near freezing in March/April or boiling in July/August, that particular spec has done quite well in UOAs for both my street and race Zs.
Thanks! I'll give it a try, looks like its on sale at Advance Auto Parts too.

I was a bit taken a back on the 0w20 recommended by the Nissan dealership, I asked if that's what they recommend for the GTR too they said for everything. I'm not too worried about daily but definitely don't think I'd run it hard or track it with a 20 weight.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

A lot of shops here in temperate Calfornia are offering 0W-40 as their go-to because it pretty much covers any weather we see here, even in the mountains where it snows (like Tahoe region, etc.). And why not? The point of multi-vis oil is to "self adjust" itself based on both environmental and internal engine heat, the first having a direct effect on the latter. But I agree that a 0w-20 is a little scary in higher temperature areas and/or for HD/track use.

I personally run 0w-40 Mobil 1 (like dkmura) in the Z and Motul 0w-40 in my Benz because that's what "my" shops recommend (Z Car Garage and my Benz independent shop) but interestingly, the Toyota dealership that services my wife's Highlander runs some odd spec like 5W-20 or somesuch because Toyota specs that.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:02 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

This reminds me that one time HKS created a new premium engine-based oil for the HR engine with the grade being at 0W42 & -4W31. I thought that was pretty crazy considering I am using Motul 5W30. Are these spec more beneficial for hard-driving/track days. I must guess so. I am just more surprised that a negative 4W31 exist.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 AM
heyyouduh

Originally Posted by MicVelo
A lot of shops here in temperate Calfornia are offering 0W-40 as their go-to because it pretty much covers any weather we see here, even in the mountains where it snows (like Tahoe region, etc.). And why not? The point of multi-vis oil is to "self adjust" itself based on both environmental and internal engine heat, the first having a direct effect on the latter. But I agree that a 0w-20 is a little scary in higher temperature areas and/or for HD/track use.

I personally run 0w-40 Mobil 1 (like dkmura) in the Z and Motul 0w-40 in my Benz because that's what "my" shops recommend (Z Car Garage and my Benz independent shop) but interestingly, the Toyota dealership that services my wife's Highlander runs some odd spec like 5W-20 or somesuch because Toyota specs that.
interesting, must be for fuel efficiency reasons, i mean most ppl don't drive their cars, even sports cars, that hard, I wonder if auto makers are trading off engine life for efficiency. FWIW I bought a 5 quart jug of the 0w40 I'll throw it in soon.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Once I get back up and going I'll be going to a slightly 5w, 10w weight ... not that I drive my car in cold weather and I dont hammer on it until I do reach temps but I want that extra protection ... but - wtbs, to each their own.