Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

K&N Cold Air Intake - IS IT SAFE FOR A 2004 z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Evenflow80

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default K&N Cold Air Intake - IS IT SAFE FOR A 2004 z?

Hi all. Brand new member here.

Yes I realize topics about CAIs are the most common around here. I did my research before even signing up to ask this question .

My concern is not about HP gains and sound or anything like that : my question is it is SAFE for my 2004 Z?

Money isn't the issue , I already bought it but can return . My stock air filter box broke and it's about $160 to replace OEM, and I already had the drop in K&N filter .

So I can either replace the broken filter box with the new K&N Cold Air Intake or order a new OEM filter box and keep using my drop in k&n filter .

My main concern is if the cold air intake is safe for my cars engine . It's an older car , 2004 with 142k miles on it. I don't want to get it the CAI and have dust and particles damage the engine .

So for the more experienced owners on here , is a cold air intake like K&N safe ?

PS I am not talking about the Typhoon, just the standard K&N Cold Air intake that sits exactly where the standard filter box would be.

Need to make a decision soon !

Thanks !
Old 04-07-2019, 04:05 PM
jmrsyrs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it. I run K&N CAIs on all my vehicles including the Z. Proper filter cleaning/oiling and regular engine oil changes and you'll be fine.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by jmrsyrs
Go for it. I run K&N CAIs on all my vehicles including the Z. Proper filter cleaning/oiling and regular engine oil changes and you'll be fine.
Thanks man. What year and mileage is your Z and how long did you have the CAI ?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Shoomakan

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't forget a twice yearly MAF and TB disassembly to properly clean them, too.

Ditched my Typhoon intake kit because of that, and because it occasionally shut off when I stopped at a light due to sucking hot air into the intake. Do with that what you will. My car made 292 to the tires with a stock airbox and stock filter, FWIW.

My opinion? It's justifiable to attach an aftermarket intake to the Z if you convert it to a bigger TB and MAF piping. But on a stock car with just a tune and bolt ons I'd stick to the stock box with a non oiled performance drop in filter.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Actually water is your biggest danger with an aftermarket intake. A friend went through a deep puddle and hydro-locked his engine, had to change it out. Make sure your bottom shroud/cover is in place if you run one. A salvage yard should have a good price if you choose to stay stock.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by jhc
Actually water is your biggest danger with an aftermarket intake. A friend went through a deep puddle and hydro-locked his engine, had to change it out. Make sure your bottom shroud/cover is in place if you run one. A salvage yard should have a good price if you choose to stay stock.
Isn't that for the lower hanging intakes though ? Something like the Typhoon for example ? The regular KN intake sits exactly as high as the normal filter box and the heat shield under should prevent water from bottom reaching it ?

Or is my understanding wrong?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

If you're referring to the short ram intake, then you should be fine. It's not really a "true" CAI since it's not drawing cold air from outside the engine bay any more than the OEM intake.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
If you're referring to the short ram intake, then you should be fine. It's not really a "true" CAI since it's not drawing cold air from outside the engine bay any more than the OEM intake.
I meant this one :
Old 04-08-2019, 03:46 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Agreed, thanks!

Originally Posted by Evenflow80
I meant this one :

Yes,a short-ram with a shield should work fine without the added risk of hydro-lock. You will have much more induction sound but higher intake air temp (It will not improve performance at all.) When I installed my Z1 "CAI" I measured only a 5-6 degree temp drop from stock position, so the original airbox was a great design for temp and water but keeps the VQ quiet. If the tube diameters are the same you won't need to reflash/tune the ECU. gl!

Last edited by jhc; 04-08-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by jhc
Agreed, thanks!

Yes,a short-ram with a shield should work fine without the added risk of hydro-lock. You will have much more induction sound but higher intake air temp (It will not improve performance at all.) When I installed my Z1 "CAI" I measured only a 5-6 degree temp drop from stock position, so the original airbox was a great design for temp and water but keeps the VQ quiet. If the tube diameters are the same you won't need to reflash/tune the ECU. gl!
Thanks! Is it obnoxiously loud ? I'm more into deeper rumbling sound than the loud , high pitched sound you often find in souped up old Honda street racers for example
Old 04-09-2019, 12:47 AM
Shoomakan

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks! Is it obnoxiously loud ? I'm more into deeper rumbling sound than the loud , high pitched sound you often find in souped up old Honda street racers for example

My Typhoon had it's own "sealed" box and it was still ****. If you don't want to learn a lesson for free that cost me $500 (typhoon + a new stock airbox) then by all means, feel free to pay it as well.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:18 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

The induction sound from the conical filter isn't that loud. It kind of sounds like a hiss at idle and a "growl" under load or WOT. It's hard to describe but definitely different than the typical eBay fart can noise...

Or whistle tips. [Insert Bubb Rubb video here]
Old 04-10-2019, 01:58 PM
jimbucks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wondering why you would want to add this? Seems to me there are a lot of problems (in general) with mods to the stock setup and sounds like it needs some periodic maintenance.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by jimbucks
Just wondering why you would want to add this? Seems to me there are a lot of problems (in general) with mods to the stock setup and sounds like it needs some periodic maintenance.
Mostly for the more aggressive sound . Plus I've used K&N for a while and they have a good reputation .
Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been running a K&N cold air intake for about 57,000 miles and it's fine. I think the model # was 57-6013 FIPK. I'm 100% satisfied. I've been using the same filter for all that time - just clean it, let it dry, then spray it with that red oil you get with their recharge kit and you're set. Definitely performance increase from 5000rpm - redline. Nice little air suction sound when I punch the throttle too. I don't remember what it sounded like before but I seem to remember thinking it sounded more aggressive when I got it back in 2012. Also the throttle body isn't dirty at all so I don't think there's any particulates getting in there.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by BlueSQ
I've been running a K&N cold air intake for about 57,000 miles and it's fine. I think the model # was 57-6013 FIPK. I'm 100% satisfied. I've been using the same filter for all that time - just clean it, let it dry, then spray it with that red oil you get with their recharge kit and you're set. Definitely performance increase from 5000rpm - redline. Nice little air suction sound when I punch the throttle too. I don't remember what it sounded like before but I seem to remember thinking it sounded more aggressive when I got it back in 2012. Also the throttle body isn't dirty at all so I don't think there's any particulates getting in there.
Yup that's the same one I got! Good to know from a first hand owner . I appreciate the response !
Old 04-11-2019, 02:39 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

when i had my z i opted for the dry filters, same thing with the vette. less maintenance, just water hose from the inside out, let dry and put back on.

btw, dont listen to jimbucks, just look at his posts
Old 04-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by travlee
when i had my z i opted for the dry filters, same thing with the vette. less maintenance, just water hose from the inside out, let dry and put back on.

btw, dont listen to jimbucks, just look at his posts
What's dry filter ? Is the K&N dry ?
Old 04-12-2019, 03:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

K&n are oiled
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup that's the same one I got! Good to know from a first hand owner . I appreciate the response !
Install note: Make sure you use the long hose clamp in the kit to brace the intake pipe to the saddle bracket that attaches to the engine. That part isn't written in the instructions but it's pictured (like they do with lego instructions).

I didn't do this and just let it sit on the saddle bracket which caused the whole thing to sit a fuzz too low and eventually the heat shield rubbed through a metal line that runs underneath it.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake - IS IT SAFE FOR A 2004 z?