Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear hatch won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Debi60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear hatch won't open

Hello, new here. I have an issue with my 2005 Nissan 350 Z, the rear hatch won't open, when I push on the release button on the back of the car, nothing. Can anyone help with this issue and help me fix it? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

There is a pull string under the strut bar to open the hatch from the inside of the car. If you can open the hatch using this emergency cord, you have access to the latch-actuator. The actuator may be the problem. There are YouTube videos showing how to repair the actuator. Mine failed at 102k miles,
Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Hi Debi,

Does the actuator actuate? Meaning, can you hear it trying to unlatch or unlock when you hit the button? If so, you might need to just give the hatch a little hand assist while hitting the button. The assist springs are notorious for wearing out on 350Z hatches. They are simple/easy to replace, but OEM replacements are expensive ($35-$45 each!) for such a simple piece.

Otherwise Spike has the right of it. You may need to replace the actuator, fairly easy to do. What's not so easy is climbing back in the trunk from the passenger compartment and pulling that "emergency release cord." I just hope you don't have a wiring fault.
-Icer
Old 04-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Debi60

No Icer it does not make any noise at all and we did open it via the emergency pull cord, so is that where the actuator is where the pull cord is? I am a bit concerned when you mention wiring....the car sat in our garage for about 1.5 yrs, upon getting it out we noticed a foul smell (yes mice had taken up living quarters in our Z) it took MONTHS to rid it of the smell so, we haven't been driving it, we did put mint soaked cotton ***** in the rig for the last few months, finally brought her out again After recharging the dead battery (which won't stay charged now) but I wonder if mice could have chewed on some electrical stuff? It starts fine after a jump but, we noticed the FM doesn't work only AM, I know odd...but besides that we are not noticing any other wiring issues...just the back hatch. As I mentioned the emergency release cord works but the back latch is not making any noise...could it be a fuse? I will check out the video on youtube and see if we can do the fix ourselves...neither of us being mechanically inclined it must be easy for us to tackle it lol Thanks for all the advice...
Originally Posted by icer5160
Hi Debi,

Does the actuator actuate? Meaning, can you hear it trying to unlatch or unlock when you hit the button? If so, you might need to just give the hatch a little hand assist while hitting the button. The assist springs are notorious for wearing out on 350Z hatches. They are simple/easy to replace, but OEM replacements are expensive ($35-$45 each!) for such a simple piece.

Otherwise Spike has the right of it. You may need to replace the actuator, fairly easy to do. What's not so easy is climbing back in the trunk from the passenger compartment and pulling that "emergency release cord." I just hope you don't have a wiring fault.
-Icer
Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Hi Debi,

The actuator motor itself is behind the furthest rear plastic trunk panel, where the latch catch is. You will need to remove a few other items to gain access, but it's not a difficult process. Since you mention the vehicle had a potential rodent infestation. You're going to want to check all your fuse boxes. The one under the hood is next to the battery and requires you to remove the plastic shroud to gain full access. The fuse box inside the passenger compartment is hiding behind a plastic foot well panel on the driver's side, just in front of the door, next to the dead pedal. A common location for rodents to nest is inside the Air-Con's blower motor housing. This can be accessed from the passenger side foot well, behind the lower dash panel. There are 3 screws holding in the blower motor along with a harness plug. It's fairly easy to remove, but not kind to one's back or neck. Rodents can gain entry easily to the duct-work in 350Zs since these cars never came standard with a cabin filter.

In the event of a wiring fault, you should just take the Z to a mechanic. Hopefully it will be a simple fix, usually chewed wires are only in the immediate area the rodents were nesting.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 PM
gulshan

I had same problem, i had to change the motor connected with Remote key. It cost me 350 AED plus labour.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:55 AM
gloriagloriawol

I have a 2014 Nissan Sentra. It's a two-door, but I'd like to add the hatchback option. I have the rear hatch open and it won't close. Here is the reliable website for your assignment assistance. I've tried everything from playing with the latch, to using a screwdriver to pry it open, to even trying to hit it with a hammer. Nothing works!

Last edited by gloriagloriawol; 09-05-2022 at 01:29 AM.