Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lines - Replace Fronts Only or Must I Replace Front & Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake Lines - Replace Fronts Only or Must I Replace Front & Rear

I am having a front brake job done (pads and rotors) next week. My brake lines are OEM and 15 years old now so I was thinking of having them replaced with stainless steel lines as preventative maintenance + performance mod "while I'm at it".

Is there any performance advantage to replacing only the fronts with stainless steel? Is there any drawbacks to replacing only the fronts? Or should I be doing both the front and rear?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Well, the rear OEM brake lines are also 15 years old, so it makes sense to replace them at the same time. Not only that, but there's less flex in SS brake lines, so leaving the worn (rubber) rears might not allow the brakes to function at an optimum level. Finally, most SS brake kits include both F&R lines anyway, so why not do them both "while you're at it"?
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
MicVelo (04-10-2019), Spike100 (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
...why not do them both
I'm not doing them, the shop is so if they're already having to root around in front I figured I'd just wait to replace the rear lines when I replace the rear pads to save on labor.

I read recently that since stainless lines dont flex like oem it would put more pressure on the old lines to run them together since theres less area to expand at operating temperature. Any truth to that?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:40 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Had mine upgraded to SS years ago. Was told they'd be more stable and never give you that 'mushy' brake pedal feeling. Not sure braking in this car is really the place you want to cheap out, but it's your car so YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSQ
I read recently that since stainless lines dont flex like oem it would put more pressure on the old lines to run them together since theres less area to expand at operating temperature. Any truth to that?
No, and I doubt any reputable race source that would state that...