MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Code P1065 & low acceleration symptom (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/621866-code-p1065-and-low-acceleration-symptom.html)

350zscrub 05-03-2019 05:21 AM

Code P1065 & low acceleration symptom

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for any ideas as to what the issue could be here, it's been ongoing for a few months now. I have a 2004 350z w/ 150k miles. Only mods are a K&N cold air intake, and Invidia Gemini catback.

It started right after I had a shop install a new battery, and coincidentally just 2 days later I was driving normally and out of the blue the engine got way louder and my acceleration was basically gone. It sounded like a bad exhaust leak. I drove it around a couple miles and no codes ever came on.

Had another shop look at it for me, they did some data logging and said it kept pulling timing & that the VVT wasn't doing anything. Long story short, all they did was replace the spark plugs & knock sensor/harness before I gave up on them and took my car back home to look at myself.

Test drove it a couple more times, finally got some codes: P0011 'A' Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) and P0021 'A' Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2). Oil pressure was fine, idle was fine, startup was fine, revving it at idle was fine, literally the only symptom was when you really get on the throttle above 2-3kRPM, there was just no power behind it but a lot of noise, similar sounding to an exhaust leak or a misfire (shop was 100% confident it was not a misfire). Some people suggest looking at the MAF because I suppose it was possible that I over-oiled the K&N filter, but the MAF is only two years old and the sensor looked perfectly fine and free of debris, sprayed it with cleaner anywhere and reinstalled but that didn't do anything. Also looked at the VVT solenoids, the screens were perfectly clean and clear of debris, no gunk whatsoever (religious oil changes since I got the car).

Decided to check for exhaust leaks. Disconnected the catback from the cats, lo and behold the passenger side CAT failed, basically the honeycomb material was still intact but it completely shifted sideways and was blocking most of the airway. I thought I found the problem, so I ordered Berk hi-flow cats as well as Tomei headers, and I also bought an ACT clutch while I was at it. Installation went fine, booted the car back up, again sounded perfectly normal at idle and when revving. Took it for a test drive, same exact power loss symptom still, only without the loud noise because the cat blockage is now gone.

Now i'm getting code P1065 ECM POWER SUPPLY which has never showed up before. I don't know what to do at this point. Clearing the code did nothing. I tried an ECU reset before installing the cats/headers but that did nothing. Any suggestions?

coletrickle74 05-03-2019 05:56 AM

That's a tough one because you'll need a tune after headers and hfcs. Mine had no acceleration after mods and it was fine after a tune. I'd try to get a code to come up again

350zscrub 05-03-2019 06:23 AM

Thanks for the reply cole. So the thing is I actually have a tune scheduled for next Saturday at Real Auto Dynamics on long island, NY. I'm just afraid of looking like a jackass showing up with a limp car when it's supposed to get a tune. My concern is that how would they even be able to tune it if it doesn't even accelerate properly? I might give them a call today or tomorrow to make them aware and try and bring my car in ahead of time.

coletrickle74 05-03-2019 06:44 AM

That's a good idea. Its just hard to tell if its a tune issue or if its the same problem.

350zscrub 05-03-2019 06:50 AM

Well it's the exact same symptom I had before installing these parts that's still there after I installed them, it's just throwing a different code now which just makes even less sense

karlt 05-03-2019 09:11 AM

Did your P1065 code return after you cleared it? It may have been the result of disconnecting the battery.

350zscrub 05-03-2019 09:36 AM

it hasn't returned yet but I only drove it for a few minutes after clearing it so there might be a good chance it will come right back. the major power loss symptom is still there even after clearing the code though, that's been the main issue this whole time is lack of acceleration

karlt 05-03-2019 09:54 AM

The power loss means your car has gone into the limp home mode. Both the P0011 and P0021 faults can cause this.
If you go to this web site (https://nicoclub.com/archives/nissan...e-manuals.html) you can download the various sections of the service manual for your car. The ec.pdf section describe the various engine faults, diagnostic procedures, and corrective actions.

khnitz 05-03-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by karlt (Post 10992133)
Karl, 05 Enthusiast 6MT

Sorry for the noise, but I just noticed: another Karl (with a "K"), with an 05 Enthusiast 6MT...if it's black coupe, too, we have a lot of coincidence going! :)

To the OP - good luck getting this sorted!

Karl

350zscrub 05-03-2019 12:37 PM

haha thanks, yeah that PDF guide is very helpful, i just looked up P1065, going to start checking the wiring connectors and fuses tonight

karlt 05-03-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by khnitz (Post 10992143)
Sorry for the noise, but I just noticed: another Karl (with a "K"), with an 05 Enthusiast 6MT...if it's black coupe, too, we have a lot of coincidence going! :)

To the OP - good luck getting this sorted!

Karl

Sorry, it's silver.

icer5160 05-03-2019 07:55 PM

I just wanted to congratulate you on doing a good job taking the troubleshooting/fixes as far as you did on your own. Also good job on listing all the relevant information about your Z. Karl already gave you a lot of good information to follow-up on. The only suggestion I can think of is to drive the car more. There's may be pending codes stored in memory and the ECM may need to complete some self-diagnostics before completely clearing them. I just hope you don't see anymore timing or misfire related codes, those can be nightmarish to trace down.

Lastly, I know you had the battery replaced, but have you double checked the voltage on it just to be sure? If you have the time, check the main ground connections in the engine bay. It would be prudent to also check ground points in the interior.
-Icer

jellofuel 05-05-2019 06:56 AM

Were you able to get this sorted out? I haven't dealt with this code myself, but everything I see online has the same info, here's an example; https://www.nissanforums.com/general...ml#post1362153

Good luck with the fix though! Really hope you get this figured out.

350zscrub 05-06-2019 06:54 AM

Thanks for the support, have not figured anything out yet. There's been about an hours worth of driving since installing the new parts and no codes have come back yet. The battery does show the correct voltage we did test that. My roommates going to borrow a better diagnostics tool from his work today that will hopefully be able to show if the timing is correct. Fingers crossed it reveals SOMETHING