MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   2005 enthusiast Z wont start (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/622073-2005-enthusiast-z-wont-start.html)

Relapse 06-08-2019 10:25 AM

2005 enthusiast Z wont start

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum.
So, to start off, I bought a 2005 enthusiast 350z from a private seller about a month ago.
When I bought it, the owner said he was getting the error code for the camshaft sensors, which I confirmed was true. Yesterday, I got some new sensors from Amazon (both driver and passenger), and replaced them. As I was connecting up the battery, I was an idiot and accidentally touched a nut on the positive terminal and there was a small amount of sparks. Went to start her up, and only 4 of the dash lights came on but theres no crank at all. After a few seconds the tcs and slip lights come on, which lead me to believe it was still the sensors. So I put the old ones back in, and still no crank at all. Everything power wise (lock/unlock from key fob, lights, and trunk) work.
ANY ADVICE HELPS!!!

masterjr33 06-08-2019 03:59 PM

TCS and slip lights have jack crap to do with the cam sensors.

put your new sensors back in. pray that the afftermarket sensors will actually work. they are hit or miss.

check fuses for the no start issue.. and then pull codes. post your codes below.

WYZIWYG 06-08-2019 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Relapse (Post 10994511)
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum.
So, to start off, I bought a 2005 enthusiast 350z from a private seller about a month ago.
When I bought it, the owner said he was getting the error code for the camshaft sensors, which I confirmed was true. Yesterday, I got some new sensors from Amazon (both driver and passenger), and replaced them. As I was connecting up the battery, I was an idiot and accidentally touched a nut on the positive terminal and there was a small amount of sparks. Went to start her up, and only 4 of the dash lights came on but theres no crank at all. After a few seconds the tcs and slip lights come on, which lead me to believe it was still the sensors. So I put the old ones back in, and still no crank at all. Everything power wise (lock/unlock from key fob, lights, and trunk) work.
ANY ADVICE HELPS!!!

Go to your local NISSAN dealership and just buy the OEM sensors. When the camshaft sensors go, it's also a good idea to change the crankshaft sensor underneath too. Most aftermarket ones are hit or miss [usually more miss than hit]. Just get the OEM replacements and it should be fine. [Or be cheap and keep getting the crap aftermarket ones, your car...your call]

Spike100 06-09-2019 10:43 AM

I wouldn't think that the camshaft sensor(s) will completely block the car from starting. They will make the car difficult to start, but you should be able to get the car running. I agree with comments that you should buy OEM sensors from Nissan, and that it is wise to replace the crankshaft sensor at the same time.

tmdz 06-09-2019 03:01 PM

Agree with Spike - Check your fuses. I don't think the cam sensors throwing a code will keep the car from turning over.

Z33Garage 06-12-2019 03:43 PM

If the cam sensors are bad they will 100000% not allow your car to crank because the ECU has a build in safety to not allow the car to crank IF the sensor is getting bad readings.. You can test this quickly ( if you car is manual) by putting the car in gear and moving it a bit. A slight movement sometimes is enough to change the cam sensor position just enough that it can crank ( but will prob die immediately).

If you need help changing the sensors I made a easy video to follow. Also I get the Advanced auto parts sensors, because they offer lifetime warranty over the nissan ones, but Nissan is best.

Spike100 06-12-2019 04:45 PM

I have replaced my camshaft sensors a couple of times. The faulty camshaft sensors never blocked starting the car.

Z33Garage 06-12-2019 04:53 PM

Lol maybe it's just my car. My Z has stalled and refused to start when the sensors have failed :/