MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   KBD Nismo Front Bumper (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/622188-kbd-nismo-front-bumper.html)

fiddy_sent 06-28-2019 11:20 AM

KBD Nismo Front Bumper

Hey Guys,

Got a KBD NISMO 2 V2 Bumper and them it on the other day and made a video of the install/ review. If you are considering getting one I definitely would recommend it. They are amazing quality!

Chihuahuamaster 06-29-2019 11:28 AM

Maybe you got lucky and got a better one, but I have a V3 style bumper from them and would unfortunately not recommend it. Mine came folded up in a box as well, and was an absolute pain to get it to 'straighten' out and take shape. It took several days of sitting/ being heated just to stretch it onto the car and line up the mounting holes. Although the v3 style bumper appears to be a heavier/ larger piece than your version.

It also leaves a horrendous gap between the bumper and the stock undershroud, as you experienced. I ended up having to make an aluminum undershroud similar to the 'nismo extension,' to secure the bumper and keep it from pushing back under stress. Maybe I'll post a pic of it sometime to give people an idea of how to fix the gap, as I was pretty satisfied with my undershroud when I completed it.

Also when it came time to paint, mine had spider cracks throughout the bumper that had to be worked out from the molding process. Even after painting twice you can still see small dimples along the bottom lip portion that simply wouldn't have been worth the effort to completely remove. These dimples were present in the entirety of the bumper. While it is a sturdy bumper, it's also heavy, and to make it look nice you could spend close to $1000 at a body/paint shop.' However, for a drift car or similar I suppose the finish won't matter as much. But for me, with all the effort needed, It would have been simpler to purchase the oem nismo bumper, even with the price increase, to avoid fitment and finish issues.

BQPham 07-02-2019 06:31 AM

If you are on Facebook the owner of KBD responds directly to messages for any and all issues and will provide guidance. Cool dude.

I got a Nismo V2 as well, my guy had it painted, blended, matched, installed etc. within 4 days. Cost me $350. I also had a new Z1 motorsports undertray as well. Fitment has been dead on, 0 issues on my San Marino Blue.

fiddy_sent 07-09-2019 03:49 PM

Damn bro! sorry to hear you had such a rough time with it. I would have been pissed.... I will definitely have to do some prep work to get it perfect for paint but nothing like that... Did you reach out to them at all?? Did you paint guy not body fill all the little imperfections before painting?

fiddy_sent 07-09-2019 03:50 PM

I was thinking about getting that Z1 under tray for protection and stability. How do you like it?? $350 is not a bad deal for painting it!

BQPham 07-10-2019 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by fiddy_sent (Post 10996606)
I was thinking about getting that Z1 under tray for protection and stability. How do you like it?? $350 is not a bad deal for painting it!

Yep it was $350 painted and installed, I installed the tray prior. I love it, the design overall and tray removal is the best of all the options. Most undertrays have the door, but the Z1 gave good hardware and with just 2 10 MM bolts the whole back half of the undertray drops down and slides out giving the most access. It also is pre-designed for a larger oil pan and I have no clearance issues with it.

Only thing to note is, because of the length of the KBD bumper and the Z1 tray design, the way to attach it is bolts from the bottom of the tray into the bumper, then reach through the Nismo V2 grill and add the nuts.

The tray uses the C clips where you slide it ont he bumper and tighten the bolt. This would generally work with the OEM bumper, but as I said i needed to use the nut and bolt method. I'm running no mesh on the lower Nismo V2 grill so it wasn't really an issue.

Bak3rme 07-10-2019 10:03 AM

Got mine a few months ago and have not installed yet. A few questions for OP (as well as the guys who have the V2)
1: Do you/can you retain stock wheel fender liners
2: Aluminum aftermarket or OEM undershroud. Will this line up well?
3: Anyone wrapped it? seems like a very flexible piece to paint. Not looking to have a show car but I imagine paint will start flaking if the bumper is bent in any way due to flexibility of polyurathane.
4:

BQPham 07-10-2019 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bak3rme (Post 10996658)
Got mine a few months ago and have not installed yet. A few questions for OP (as well as the guys who have the V2)
3: Anyone wrapped it? seems like a very flexible piece to paint. Not looking to have a show car but I imagine paint will start flaking if the bumper is bent in any way due to flexibility of polyurathane.
4:

Maybe you forgot to put 4 but:

I used mine yes, but they will have to be attached to the undershroud to fit, Unfortunately my undershroud was broken prior so there was no where really to attach it to the undertray I used
My OEM was gone, but i used Z1 undertray and had no issues there aside from anything mentioned in previous posts above
Plenty of people clean, prep, and wrap it. A good paint shop knows to use flex additive to the paint. If the shop doesn't know to do that, don't use them to paint the bumper. Mine painted san marino blue with the grill and lip painted gloss black with flake and flex additive in all the paint was $350 installed (this was through a friend of a friend who works on bodywork for many tuner cars and regular cars as well). I can't guarantee you will get the same price, but if anyone is in the NJ area and needs a recommendation feel free to reach out.
4:

Chihuahuamaster 07-10-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by fiddy_sent (Post 10996605)
Damn bro! sorry to hear you had such a rough time with it. I would have been pissed.... I will definitely have to do some prep work to get it perfect for paint but nothing like that... Did you reach out to them at all?? Did you paint guy not body fill all the little imperfections before painting?

No, I didn't contact KBD, because at that point I had already waited several months for the bumper because of delays from issues with the bumper mold. So I didn't want to go through shipping and waiting on things again.

I'm not too versed in the painting/ prepping but I assume he did everything right. He's a family member who owns his shop, and is well respected in his community (I realize this has no merit), but I trust him. The 'dimple'/ spider crack imperfections were over the whole bumper as I said previously, however, after paint only the dimples remain on the lower portion of the lip, and really only visible in certain lighting angles up close. Perhaps he could have gotten them all out, but it's likely that it wasn't worth extended work.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the bumper, and it does look good, but it wasn't without its challenges.

fiddy_sent 07-11-2019 03:37 PM

I would imagine you can retain your fender liners if you wanted to. The bumper doesn't come with any holes as you probably already know so you would probably have to drill some out for them. From what I have hear the under shroud works really well for providing extra support on the bumper, I will eventually go with the Z1 aluminum one. Yeah i'm definitely a little worried to see how the paint will hold up but i'm sure if you use a quality paint it should be able to flex to a certain extent with the bumper. My other thought was also wrapping it, might have to do the bumper in two pieces because of the built in lip.

fiddy_sent 07-11-2019 03:39 PM

Damn that sucks man. Hopefully they just got better with their production. Time will tell how this thing holds up I guess and I will let you guys know what happens with the painting process, I do wish they were a bit more sturdy like OEM plastic though.

shovonb 07-17-2019 09:50 AM

Mine came out looking great TBH
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....0eebcc80e.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....96ca13454.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....9caef1095.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....6af6427be.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....c95c7825b.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....d72c1e39f.jpeg

BQPham 07-17-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by shovonb (Post 10997406)

I'm more jealous of those Nismo V2 side skirts, Shine Auto Project? Fitment looks great.

shovonb 07-17-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BQPham (Post 10997407)
I'm more jealous of those Nismo V2 side skirts, Shine Auto Project? Fitment looks great.

Yeah shine auto.. the fitment was okay out of the box.. had to modify a little to make it fit better.. gonna get the nismo rear end from VIS Racing next month!

BQPham 07-18-2019 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by shovonb (Post 10997412)
Yeah shine auto.. the fitment was okay out of the box.. had to modify a little to make it fit better.. gonna get the nismo rear end from VIS Racing next month!

As in the V3 end or the 370z Nismo style rear end? I run the Top Secret CF diffuser now in the rear, Nismo V2 front, and just got my polyurethane Nismo V3 sides coming in the mail tomorrow to finalize that.

shovonb 07-18-2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by BQPham (Post 10997476)
As in the V3 end or the 370z Nismo style rear end? I run the Top Secret CF diffuser now in the rear, Nismo V2 front, and just got my polyurethane Nismo V3 sides coming in the mail tomorrow to finalize that.

I'm gonna get the V3 rear since it's very rare and looks better in my opinion

fiddy_sent 07-19-2019 03:46 PM

Damn dude! Your Z is super clean! looks like it rolled off the showroom floor with that bumper. Can't wait to get all the body work on mine done so I can paint mine up!

fiddy_sent 07-19-2019 03:47 PM

What front lip do you have added on??

shovonb 07-19-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by fiddy_sent (Post 10997624)
What front lip do you have added on??

I bought it from ebay.. they said it's universal but had 07 BMW 3 series coupe picture on it

shovonb 07-19-2019 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by fiddy_sent (Post 10997623)
Damn dude! Your Z is super clean! looks like it rolled off the showroom floor with that bumper. Can't wait to get all the body work on mine done so I can paint mine up!

I wrapped mine with Ebay 300 bucks candy apple red.. the paint underneath is mostly faded