2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Trade in or Keep it

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:06 PM
nblancha
Charter Member #80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in or Keep it

I am currently still paying for my 98 Neon R/T. I figure by the time my Z arrives, I'll owe a little under $3000. I am debating what to do with this car.

I have 2 options:

Trade it in, to help offset what I still owe on it. If I do this, the Z becomes my only car and I would need to get a set of snow tires and probably some junk wheels for the winter driving here in Mass. What could I expect to pay for a set of 17" wheels and snow tires for the Z?

Suck it up and pay off the Neon, putting less money down on the Z, but use the neon in bad weather.

What are your thoughts on this. My dealership wont give me an estimate on its trade in value until my Z comes in.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:22 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Start by searching and seeing what your R/T is worth on Edmunds and such. If you can get a decent amount for it sell it and just by a winter beater for around $1000. I can honestly tell you that you won't like driving your new Z through snowy streets and a winter beater for around $1000 could probably be as cheap as some snow tires. If you look hard you should be able to find a decent car for under $1k easy. Sure it might have some dents, dings, oil leaks, etc.... but it's better that the beater has it then your Z.

If the dealer won't give you a decent amount for your R/T I'd say keep it then. That's where I'm at with my Honda right now, keep it and pay on it for another 9 monthes or sell it (but I've got other cars as well).
Old 06-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Phi-1002-

You're going to want a front wheel or 4 wheel drive vehicle if you're driving in snow. No questions. My Trans Am was horrible in snow even with TCS and a manual tranny. That's why I have a Jeep now.

Also, if they salt the roads there in Massachusettes anything like they do here in Michigan, it'll eat your Z up and you'll be sorry in ten years.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Phi-1002: Obviously you like your Jeep Wrangler. I'm going to be selling my Stealth TT right before I get my Z. I also want to get something for the snow and am looking at getting a new Wrangler for our third car. My wife drives an Avalon and can only drive automatic. I've heard that the smaller engine in the Jeep is a dog and that I should go for the 4L one. Also, do they come standard with both the hard top and the soft or is the hard top an option you have to pay for? What are your thoughts on this and on the automatic Jeep in general? Thanks.

P.S. Not really looking to crush rocks, just stay on the road!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Phi-1002-

The hard top/soft top combo is an option. I sold my hard top after awhile because of lack of storage space and use in general. I just use the soft top now. I think it's an extra $1500 overall for the hard top. It's nice to have especially if your married

As far as powertrain choices go: Wrangler automatics are of the 3 speed variety (which is not a good thing) and I personally would have no use for one because I like driving the standard. The slushbox does rob some power. The only way I'd ever consider getting a 2.5L is with the 5-speed. It's actually a good low end torque producing motor it just runs out of steam early. If you're going to get a Wrangler w/ an auto, you definitely will want a 4.0L I-6. Periodically, when rock crawling, I do wish I had an auto. Negotiating the brake, clutch, and throttle simultaneously on rocks and rock faces is a real pain especially when you're looking out your side window at the ground 10 feet lower than your eye level

Probably the best option you can get on a TJ is a Dana 44 rear axle. You'll thank yourself at resale if you go with that axle up front. The Dana 35 is crap and many buyers who've done their research will not even consider buying a used TJ unless it was equipped with the Dana 44.

I hope if you do buy one, you'll wheel it atleast a little. I never thought I'd be into 4 wheeling until I got my Jeep. It's really allot of fun and can be much cheaper than putting a street car on your local race track. If only money grew on trees...