Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Positive News On Feathering

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:13 PM
bodayguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. wow, that's pretty obvious. I'm not seeing that.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:42 AM
cedusett

Try running your hand along the inside tire treads one way, and then the other. It should seem smooth enough one way, but if your tires are really feathering, your finger will catch at every tread going the other way. Kind of like petting a cat the wrong way.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:25 AM
kbsig106

Default Feathering in and out

I had feathering on the INSIDE tread even after having TSB 006 (6/26/03) and TSB 006a (7/22/03) performed. Nissan replaced my fronts on 11/28/03 and TSB 006(b) was perfromed on 1/5/04 during my "final" LL repair. The feathering has now returned after 5k and this time it's on the OUTSIDE tread. The 2mm adjustment they did on the TOE was too much and now the abnormal wear has returned.

See my tag line for the rest of the story.

This is a wide spread problem and many of us are having to find out by word of mouth. Nissan is trying to keep a lid on this.

Last edited by kbsig106; 03-31-2004 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Superfly84zx

This picture is almost a perfect example of shoulder cupping wouldn't you say...see how not each tread block is heel toe, but whole sections are worn...whole sections of tread are bald/cupped...you can imagine that this would be cause by some up/down bounce like an aircraft tire on landing...

good picture for the lawyers eh?

BTW, did I read that right that someone has 19mm of toe on their Z? Last guy I saw with that much toe was Micheal Schumacher on the F2004 Ferrari at the Malaysian Grand Prix...He did take pole and the win but his first stop was on lap 10 I believe...for new Bridgestones...LOL
Attached Thumbnails Positive News On Feathering-feathering.jpg  
Old 04-03-2004, 06:32 AM
fblue

Not to sound igonorant, but is there somewhere official where this TSB is posted. I want to be able to show my dealer that Nissan is aware of the problem. I'm just worried that if they give me a hard time, I might end up doing something that gets me put in jail.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:46 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
but as far as I know these tires are still on "back order" since last Thanksgiving.

Sounds like delay tactics to me. Tirerack, etc all have the stock tires in stock, and I got mine from the Dealer in January in 2 days.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:48 PM
lemans

I posted on one of the threads recently I was lucky and did not have the feathering problem w/17k miles and my tires have excellent thread remaining . Scratch the no feathering statement. I started hearing that horrible noise from tires. inside of my front tires were featering. The dealer aligned to curren NISSAN RECOMMENDED specs. Swapped tires by taking tire off rim. It has less noise but will have to wait and see if this fixes problem. It cannot be perfect since the tires are still cupped on outside but it is better. Time will tell if this works. From sound of other posts it will not.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:17 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by flynnibus
Sounds like delay tactics to me. Tirerack, etc all have the stock tires in stock, and I got mine from the Dealer in January in 2 days.

Maybe, but your dealer also may have been able to find some locally or something. Mine was not able to.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:19 AM
ZNUTS

Hey Leman's I'm the other guy who posted no problem;they must have put a hex on us!Took it in for an oil change ask to check tires . I was hearing a slight roar at 20 to 30 mph.They did the tire swap now it roars louder and at all speeds.I could have lived with the other,it with very little wear at all. They also nicked my wheels after promising they would'nt.If they don't correct their mistakes I will post as another feathering victom.Mine are still feathered on the inside ;I think they remounted the same way they came off.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:44 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by jj1814
Maybe, but your dealer also may have been able to find some locally or something. Mine was not able to.
His exact quote was 'I don't have any in stock, I need to order them from tirerack.com and that usually takes 2 days'.

Also, if you go on the websites who show stock status (tirerack, etc) they show them as in stock.

I'm just passing along what I've encountered.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:55 AM
lemans

Znuts,
Yeah, we should never ahve mentioned how lucky we were. oh well. The feathering was on the inside of the tire. They swapped the tire and now both sides have the feathering/cuppng on the outer side of tire, easier to see. If the tires were swapped correctly yours should be the on the outside too. If they actually took them off one rim and put tire on other they did not do it correctly. Since they are unidirectional tires, they will be goig in wrong direction. Eithr that or they did not swap them at all. Maybe the unidirectional tire going wrong way accounts for your increased roar but I do not know if that would cause that. Just a possibilty. Check your tires out! the noise was real loud slowing down and braking.
The noise on mine has been greatly reduced. Now let's see if, and it appears to be a big if, the alignment works correctly and no more feathering occurs. Then I guess my cupping on outside will smooth out and those tires will still last a long time.
I have over 17,000 miles on my car and this was the first time I had discussed it with them. No previous problems as I stated. I stated on the phone I had 17K+. John(just the service Guy I had contacted by phone) said no problem, bring it in and we'll check it out. If you need new tires, we will make a call to CA and get permission to put on new tires. He did not think it would be any problem. I had stated earlier that my tires had good tread left approx 8/32. It was because of this good tread that new tires were not a part of the solution. I still think that if(see above) this fix works I will get 30k plus on the originals and I will be happy.
that all happened on Saturday. I had earlier called my local dealer and person I talked to there said they were not sure because of the 17K mileage. i would have to call the their service manager on Monday(today) so I called dealer in ATL saturday where I bought the car and they had no problem with it. Told me to bring it in. BTW these OEM tires have handled just fine for me even in the rain. My first full year(2003) with the car Macon got almost as much rain as is the Seattle average.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:42 AM
ZNUTS

Service guy called on a follow up and I told him how much worse the roar is after the fix(unfix)I'msure they remove the wheels because they nicked my rims.I also put alot of tire dressing on them and after looking under the car it had no signs of dressing.Confirms my origial response;removed and installed as original ;wear inside!They ordered me new fronts and was full of apologies,so next week we will see!!!