Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Black Z's and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 06:07 PM
ksilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send your email address and I'll send you some pictures of my Super Black Z. It gets more compliments than I got on my black 911.

Ken
Old 03-29-2004, 07:10 PM
adamslad

Default Re: My New Super Black - "Swirls"

Originally posted by netman_one
"Don't get me started on the poor quality of the Nissan Super Black paint, though. Not only do I have swirls and small scratches everywhere, but it's very prone to chipping."

Hello, have just found and joined this board...
I also just bought my 04 super black (w/burnt orange seats) touring conv on 3/20/04 (w/all nissan options included) and have been taking it back to dealer 3 times since then. When they put it in the lights (bought at night) saw all these "scratches" they told me were normal "swirls" on a black car. Agreed we would give daylight a chance... After seeing the car in daylight next day, I took it back to dealer, who has had a pro company called Leading Edge work on it twice so far (it's now there for a third time) to deal with my paint issues. They did a process that heats up clearcoat and blends it together. Trouble is they missed a few areas twice, so back it goes for more love and care.

I really love this car, and have put 780+ mile on it back & forth to dealer so far. Has not been anywhere else yet! - Bought the car cover, and rigged up a bottled water system in my garage to wash my car (btw: works well). Hopeing to get it back perfect this time. I understand the swirl concept on this black car, but just refused to also deal with what I perceive as scratches (in clear coat) or imperfections. Am guessing this is a common SB problem?

Hope to get it back tomorrow night in a shape I expect.
Do not mind regular cleaning or waxing, but want to start with paint looking the way it should even upon very close inspection.
Have others out there had major problems with these swirls and scratches upon buying a new 350Z SB?

netman_one
netman_one,

Where is this Leading Edge place located? Did the dealer pay for them to service your car? Besides missing a few spots, are you satisfied with their work? Will it protect the car going forward, or just correct the scratches and swirls that were there?

Thanks.

Adam
Old 03-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My New Super Black - "Swirls"

Originally posted by netman_one

Bought the car cover, and rigged up a bottled water system in my garage to wash my car (btw: works well).

netman_one
You wash your car with bottled water? huh? I thought I was hardcore...damn...
Old 03-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a silve before too. It's a pain to clean black in comparison. But car looks so good when clean!

I do only touchless wash in winter and handwash it myself in summer. I mostly enjoy washing and waxing it.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:29 PM
ksilk

No swirls in my '03 Super Black, but you need a good wax also to keep it up. Be careful of scratches from your car cover also.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Jsn350Z

It is 100% impossible to have NO swirls on any car, and on SB they are just more visable. The only way you have no swirls is if just came out of the spray booth and no one has touched it yet.

But what are you using to fill them in tand make them less visable? Zaino?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Reb1281

I want to thank you guys for the responses. I've been beating myself over colors for a while, and these responses help. SS, CS, SB, and DB are what I had narrowed it down too. DB was crossed off due to my age of 23. Don't get me wrong, DB is a beautiful color but it would work better if I was 18 or 19. SS looks nice in the sunshine and at night, but that unpleasant grey at other times made me question the color. SB looks best at night, and whenever the sun is not shining bright--fall and winter months. CS is very nice in bright sunlight and at night. It's rather stale in other conditions, but nowhere near as unsightly as the SS's grey. So, I've narrowed it down to either a CS, or SB track model. CS/charcoal and SB/orange tan interiors(aftermarket, or course). CS is low-maintenance and nice-looking, but SB is high-maintenance and great-looking. I'm ordering this car in two months and I'll decide by then. Thank you all and enjoy your SB Z's.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:33 PM
netman_one

Default Re: Re: My New Super Black - "Swirls"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adamslad
[B]netman_one,

Where is this Leading Edge place located? Did the dealer pay for them to service your car? Besides missing a few spots, are you satisfied with their work? Will it protect the car going forward, or just correct the scratches and swirls that were there?

Thanks.

Adam

Got my car back 4/30/04 - Am satisfied, got three New last touch-ups to now complete though (3 new ones found upon my car return - I inspected very carefully). Leading edge is located in Marlow Heights MD, near the dealer (they have no sign - they mainly work only with car dealers, but will work with me direct now too). Passport Nissan has covered all their work over last 10 days and leading edge people do great work (my problems arise when dealer people get in my car - no respect!). Will be taking it to LE directly myself for that last touch-up visit. BTW: This all started because I asked them (the dealer) to wax my new car while I was working out my buy deal that night (they messed it up while doing that). Now no one washs or waxs this car but me. At first I really wanted a whole new car through them, but none were available to be had in inventory from Florida to NY with all the Z options (I and they checked ALL dealers on Nissan web for 3 nights straight). And my SB Z Car is fine now... Oh, and about my bottled water concept I mentioned, the minerals in our well water in Stmarys Md cause permanent spots on every new car I have ever bought so far (even though we have a whole house pro water softner installed), especially any glass, so I decieded that this Z would always be washed in bottled water in my garage. it's no big deal, car wash's cost much more then cost of a few 5 gallon containers, and the gravity fed rig I made up with an easy plastic shutoff valve and shower spray nozzle works quite well for my Z hand washing...
Heck... after 40K for the conv w/all the options, some pure water and prem gas are minor thoughts!

Now I get to drive my baby this whole weekend - Rain Or Shine!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:27 AM
adamslad

How about some pics of the in-garage washing setup? Sounds like a great idea. And show off your Z while you're at it!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:37 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Zaino rocks for SB. Yeah the car gets dirty just as quickly but the dirt practically rinses off with a garden hose. Z-5 did a pretty good job on the swirl marks, but as posted previously, cannot eliminate them entirely on any black car. I put on coats 4 & 5 last weekend, and it has been raining ever since so of course its dirty again. I consider it therapy to detail the car and I have yet to do it in my driveway that someone walking or driving by doesn't stop and compliment me on the Z.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:06 PM
4myZ350

B-- beaker02 got the A part---- always loved "other people's " black cars but i now have one and it's myZ350. got locky at a G35 party in SAN JOSE at Crystal Guard. and they did my car w/ the ( 55$ish ) treatment & i only needed to dust it (w/ Cal. duster) for 27days before i needed to wash it. unreal it also got rid of must all the sweals.

g
Old 04-02-2004, 02:08 PM
4myZ350

no idea how that "g" got down there
Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 PM
4myZ350

bump
Old 04-05-2004, 02:33 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an SB and it looks awesome. I agree with everyone else here though, you have to wash it a lot ( i dont mind and actually enjoy it) and waxing it helps. To remove swirls and light scratches, i use a 2 step method using Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze followed by Mother's California Gold. It looks unbelievable on this car. In between waxings i use Eagle 1 detail mist or some other similar type of detailer too keep it shiney. In a year or two, i'll probably just have the whole car repainted in Superblack.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:38 PM
adamslad

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
I have an SB and it looks awesome. I agree with everyone else here though, you have to wash it a lot ( i dont mind and actually enjoy it) and waxing it helps. To remove swirls and light scratches, i use a 2 step method using Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze followed by Mother's California Gold. It looks unbelievable on this car. In between waxings i use Eagle 1 detail mist or some other similar type of detailer too keep it shiney. In a year or two, i'll probably just have the whole car repainted in Superblack.
Wow. Repaint it after only a year or two?! That's crazy, man. You shouldn't have to do that. What makes you say that, anywau? A lot of chipping?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:15 PM
ranger5oh

Everyone knows Black looks the best, but it takes the most work. If you can handle washing it every spare moment you have, get it. I have always owned Black cras, and there is no other color if you ask me.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:33 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah i know it sounds crazy for me to paint it in another year or two. Its not because my paint is chipping real bad or anything its just that im **** and i'll want it looking BRAND new in a couple years so i'll just have it painted.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:01 PM
adamslad

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
Yeah i know it sounds crazy for me to paint it in another year or two. Its not because my paint is chipping real bad or anything its just that im **** and i'll want it looking BRAND new in a couple years so i'll just have it painted.
That's cool. So how do you like your pop charger? (sorry to be OT...)
Old 04-08-2004, 08:41 PM
netman_one

Default Super Black Baby and Car Washing

Originally posted by adamslad
How about some pics of the in-garage washing setup? Sounds like a great idea. And show off your Z while you're at it!
Here is a small picture of my new fully loaded SB 04 ZBaby.

About the bottled water washing that I had mentioned prior...
Made an improvement in my gravity feed water system. Bought a submersiable D cell battery operated pump (3gpm) that is used to pump out hot tubs (has on/off pushbutton switch). With 10 foot of 5/8" tubing attached and a soft plastic garden fitting attached (like a garden watering can shower spray nozzle), placed pump in a 5 gallon bucket (fill with bottled water-$4.50 a bottle at BJ's) and my garage car wash is now nicely upgraded!
Attached Thumbnails Black Z's and maintenance-our350zpic.jpg  
Old 04-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Reb1281

Netman,

Just have to say that that is a beautiful Z. Non-enthusiasts and enthusiasts alike could tell that it looks like a 50k+ car. Take care of her.

Quick Reply: Black Z's and maintenance