Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Would you use your Z to teach your friend how to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:37 PM
zuddenly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea thanks a lot guys... i feel more justified... i'm a softy with her cuz she's cute haha jk
Old 04-05-2004, 01:53 PM
rouxeny

Absolutely not. No way.

The Z isn't the easiest car to learn stick on anyways. I also learned on an old Corolla, you barely needed to step on the clutch to shift.

The only way would be if she was single and hot....I'm as much of a sucker as the next guy.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:02 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way, not in my book. My friend taught me to drive stick on his 2000 S4 and I f'd it up pretty bad. The two cars are very different. The S4 has a heavier, shorter clutch and is a bit harder to feel the clutch bite compared to the Z. The throttle is much lighter in the Z and when my friend with the S4 has driven my Z, he overreved a few times. The gearbox is smooth in the S4 as opposed to the Z's. I did let my bro try to drive my car to shut him up from saying "driving stick looks easy." Yea right...he had his fair share of stalls. I wouldn't let that girl get close to driving your car, ever.

Edit: Basically, I learned the hard way with both the S4 and the Z. I suggest you find an IS300 or RSX because those two are ridiculously easy to drive stick. You can't stall in those unless you really tried. I call them "automatics that require some participation."

Last edited by NismoKid; 04-05-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Sins4u33

well....she could learn how to drive stick in atleast 2-3 hours i know someone who drives around teaching people....(there called driver instructors) tell her to open up her nice little purse and drop some cash for a 2-3 hour lesson instead of burning your clutch through the floor...i mean if she can buy an S4 i think she can get a lesson from someone who does it on a daily basis....

Ben
Old 04-05-2004, 02:45 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I taught my son to drive a stick on my Brick. Several stalls & a few lurches but he did get it. No damage to the Z.

A stick is a stick; same process regardless of car; nothing special about the Zzzz.

If you can walk & chew gum at once you can learn to drive a stick.

As for the specifics here, it all depends on what you think of the friend.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
zuddenly

Originally posted by Sins4u33
i mean if she can buy an S4 i think she can get a lesson from someone who does it on a daily basis....

Ben
problem is she CANT buy an S4... her parents are buying it for her!....
Old 04-05-2004, 02:51 PM
ranger5oh

I tought a girl how to drive stick in my Z. She had never driven stick before in her life. My thought, who cares? It's a car. If she F's it up, use your warranty. Material objects can be repaired, friendships sometimes cant. Also, if she gets that S4, good oportunity to borrow it!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:55 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by zuddenly
yea thanks a lot guys... i feel more justified... i'm a softy with her cuz she's cute haha jk
funny.

Why did she buy a stick if she doesn't know how to drive one?

ranger5oh is right- tell her you'll teach her to drive stick on your car in exchange you get to borrow her new S4 for a day of AutoXing.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
zuddenly

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
I taught my son to drive a stick on my Brick. Several stalls & a few lurches but he did get it. No damage to the Z.

A stick is a stick; same process regardless of car; nothing special about the Zzzz.

If you can walk & chew gum at once you can learn to drive a stick.

As for the specifics here, it all depends on what you think of the friend.
if it was my son, i would let him, too... by that point, i hope to own a porsche or sumthing ... the Z is special to me, because its my baby and i've only had it for less than a year... i mean, she was already going to get a manual tranny car the next day, why couldnt she wait until the next day and ask me to coach her through it, instead of causing some wear and tear on my car... its just selfish

Last edited by zuddenly; 04-05-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:08 PM
NismoKid

Originally posted by zuddenly
if it was my son, i would let him, too... by that point, i hope to own a porsche or sumthing ... the Z is special to me, because its my baby and i've only had it for less than a year... i mean, she was already going to get a manual tranny car the next day, why couldnt she wait until the next day and ask me to coach her through it, instead of causing some wear and tear on my car... its just selfish
It sounds to me like you don't want to let her learn on your car and I don't blame you. As long as she knows how much you care about your car, I don't think she'd get upset if you say no. Just offer to drive her S4 back home and teach her with that car. She won't be able to drive by herself that quick, especially on an S4.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:15 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

My girlfriend really wants to learn stick but I have been reluctant this far and asked my friends to teach her on their beaters...still they havnt come through yet and I feel kinda bad so I'm just gonna teach her, not really a big deal and i dont think she can mess up anything 2 bad.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:21 PM
zuddenly

yep, i dont want her to drive my car no matter how cute she is ... actually, i was VERY close to teaching her on my car(she's like my little sister, since our families know each other)... at first, i was like "how bad could it be?", but then i thought it over, and i just couldnt see my car in the hands of someone who didnt know how to drive it... call me selfish, but i love my car.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Jetpilot718

The Z is the hardest stick I have ever driven. Ever.

I had much experience driving a wide range of sticks, from integras, preludes, porsches, even a 67 vette, and the Z is the hardest I have ever driven.

Every day at work, I drive random cars, most of them stick and all of them easier than the Z.

It is very sensitive, very unforgiving, and will take quite a bit of time before you get comfortable with it.

The Z as a learner car would be almost counterproductive. She will most definately cancel her purchase of the S4 if the Z is the first stick she drives. She will run screaming (and you may do some screaming too while she stalls/grinds the gears up)

Explain that teaching her to drive stick in the Z would be like handing Orville and Wilbur Wright the keys to an F16 and telling them to go ahead, and take her around the pattern a few times.

Best regards...
-Steve
Old 04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
TruBluZ

You've got to be kidding.....no freakin way!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:54 PM
dam294

My first new vehicle was an m/t '85 Nissan pickup. I was 16 and I had never driven an m/t. Dad brought the truck home, handed me the keys and I went on my own and learned how to drive it. Didn't screw up anything either. Hell that truck lasted over 150,000 miles.

Anyway, I agree with earlier posts. Offer to drive it home for her and let her learn on her own damn car.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:58 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I wouldn't let her drive my Z either. When my daughter was 16, I bought her a '92 Topaz 5 speed. She learned to drive a stick like a pro. We got rid of the Topaz and I gave her my Stealth when I got the Z. Now she drives the Stealth 5 speed and wouldn't dream of driving an automatic. I think everyone should learn to drive with a manual transmission cause then you can drive anything. Your friends parents should be buying (renting) this young lady a stick shift to practice driving a stick. It is not your responsibility to teach your friend how to drive, especially on your car.

Les
Old 04-05-2004, 06:29 PM
zuddenly

thanks for all the input! i appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Phatmitzu

Yeah, I would. Only to my girl tho.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:18 PM
TakeiteZ

hehe my girlfriend knows how to drive stick, and every once in a while she'll put on the puppy face and be like "baby can i please drive for a little today... PLEASE" and then im like okay... fine its just 2 miles anyways

she isn't as bad as most girls, but she still burns the clutch when engaging in first...

lol its okay though because she does me lots of favors afterwards hahaha
Old 04-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Dissolved

HELL NO.
I let a chick drive my Z this weekend. An hour and a half (coming back from OC). I had no choice, I was plastered. I let her get on it, she knew how to drive (worked at a bike shop before so she's all into speed). She had it at 149mph.

I let people drive my car all the time, just as long as they know how to drive. Hmmm I may make a post about this

Quick Reply: Would you use your Z to teach your friend how to drive?