Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Would you use your Z to teach your friend how to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 AM
zuddenly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you use your Z to teach your friend how to drive?

so my friend calls me up this weekend and said she was getting an s4 this weekend, and she would like to know how to drive a stick before she picks up her car... so i'm one of her only friends who owns a manual... her bf knew how to drive a stick... but doesnt own a manual... i think she was trying to use my car to practice on just a DAY before getting her s4... i told her there's no way she could learn to drive a manual so quickly... i guess she didnt think so... anyways i'm kinda pissed now, cuz i feel that she was trying to use me... and she thinks im too stingy to let her use my car and teach her how to drive... i mean, how can she know that she wants the s4 if she hasnt even driven it!?! what would you do? would u let her practice for one day on your Z?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:57 AM
jcr847

Was this a serious question?

Hell No!!
Then again I don't let anyone drive my car, even if they are experienced mt drivers.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 AM
kendoll

F$$K NO!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:00 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Nope. The clutch on the Z is far different from clutches on other cars (at least from the numerous ones that I've driven). For one thing, the clutch engagement on my car is extremely high, other Z drivers have reported varients of this. The gearbox is pretty notchy as well.

In any case, tell her that the test drive on the S4 should be the practice and that you'll gladly drive her new car home for her so that she can practice all she wants on HER car. She could go ahead and wear the clutch, grind gears or whatever... but not on your Z. My $.02

Almost sounds like she wants to get all the mistakes out on your car...
Old 04-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Bertg

NO!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by Bertg
NO!!!
Ditto, don't do it. Print out a copy of this thread once there are some more posts and give it to her as a gift.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 AM
AV630

How hot is she? teach her to drive a stick using your stick... if yanno what i mean.... all this assuming her boyfriend isnt huge....
Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 AM
cedusett

Would you teach a teenager how to budget by giving them a $30,000 credit limit?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:34 AM
zuddenly

great u guys! i didnt think so... she got all offended i didnt let her... she took it all personal! but yeah... i'm glad i didnt let her drive the car... i told her about the clutch & plus... not knowing the car, she'll totally grind my already sensitive 2nd gear...
Old 04-05-2004, 10:47 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by cedusett
Would you teach a teenager how to budget by giving them a $30,000 credit limit?
It would've been a lot of fun if my parents had done that.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I taught my g/f of the time how to drive stick on my Z. My thinking was that someone who thinks they know how to drive will do much more damage than someone who doesn't know how to drive stick. She did pretty well, didn't grind anything and my car was fine afterwards. On a side note, she did execute the fastest 1-2 shift I've ever seen. Although, I wouldn't teach anyone else other than a g/f or wife.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Lerxst

It's already been said but I'll still add my vote... ummmmm NO!!! Well maybe, if she's putting out... but her boyfriend may object.

Can you rent a car w/ a manual tranny? If so, that's the way to go for your friend. It'll likely be more forgiving than the Z's clutch too. I find my Z's clutch disengages much quicker than my previous cars (Protege5, Z24, XR3) and took some getting used to WITH prior experience.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 AM
y_b_lamron

Originally posted by zuddenly
great u guys! i didnt think so... she got all offended i didnt let her... she took it all personal! but yeah... i'm glad i didnt let her drive the car... i told her about the clutch & plus... not knowing the car, she'll totally grind my already sensitive 2nd gear...
I think you did the right thing. I taught a friend a long time ago on an old POS and she never got the hang of it. I can't imagine the Z going through what that thing went through.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:56 AM
zuddenly

yea i remember learning way way back in high school in an old corolla.... i cant imagine putting my Z thru the torture of burnt clutch and multiple stalls... poor car yea i'll make her (or her parents, since technically her parents are buying the car for her) rent a car w/ manual tranny and then teach her... otherwise, she can go mess up her own rubbery gear box. it just blows my mind that she "knows" she wants an S4, but doesnt even know how to drive one.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
RacerX68

I agree with everyone else here. Don't ever let a woman use you for anything (except sex).

If she's offended, that's too bad. It's your car, and the darn thing cost too much money to be used to teach someone to drive a stick, especially when she's someone else's girlfriend.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Hell no......the only other person driving my baby is my hubby! Can't afford the stress of anyone else touching it, let alone driving it!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:46 PM
callmeaflirt

Ha Ha,
Guess Im lucky...My boyfriend taught me how to drive stick with his Z..and he let me drive it back from Vegas to LA, BY MYSELF!!
How's that for trust!? I didn't hurt it the Z at all :-D
Old 04-05-2004, 01:21 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do what yobri said-
go with her to pick up the car, drive it home, and teach her on the s4. That way she can't be mad for not wanted to help her at all AND you get to drive the s4.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Ryan Davis

Good choice not letting her. why doesn't her boyfriend let her learn on his Z. Oh that's right, he doesn't own one like you do. So yeah, it's an excuse for her to run around being like "yeah, he let me drive his Z..." I know she's your friend and all but good enough friend to get pissed when she can't learn a stick on your $30,000 Z! C'mon

Pluss the clutch, 6-speed and all, IS totaly different compared to a lot of cars out there.
Please don't think i'm bragging but when I valet for V.P.S. in Dallas, TX. we had lines of nothing but mercedes, porches, etc. an we would have to drive them so far that we had our employees with trucks having to load us up to drive us all the way back to get more cars and so on. For a full year and using the job to pay all my apartment bills, etc. (you get the idea)

I can tell you that learning a clutch on a car like that is not the best idea.
I rented an old car to learn clutch for like two days then I go to park at the West Village and first thing I get is a porche 911 turbo and learned from there but not everyone can do it.
There were times I just handed the keys to someone else.
Great job man!
orionsky133@hotmail.com
Old 04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Ryan Davis

Originally posted by Hey Ya
Ditto, don't do it. Print out a copy of this thread once there are some more posts and give it to her as a gift.
That's really funny. Give her the papers and say "well you can lear on these right here..."

oh and I know it's "porSche" I can be a dumbass sometimes

Anyways good job and just because her boyfriend doesn't have the ***** to own a Z I'm sure he'd love to see yours get f$$$ed up somehow, even if it's having/letting his girl do it

Last edited by Ryan Davis; 04-05-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you use your Z to teach your friend how to drive?