Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Trading My Z for a G35 Sedan....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 04:31 PM
jran76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading My Z for a G35 Sedan....

Yes it is true, I am trading the Z for a 04 G35 Sedan 6MT, Daimond Graphite w/ graphite leather, premium and sport packages, and full aero body kit.

Just a few too many problems with the Z, mainly the tranny that was getting worse by the day. I am also tired of dealing with Nissan's crappy service. I also think I want something a little nicer as my only car. When I bought the Z, I had a pretty nice Maxima as a second car.

All in all, I love about 98% of the Z. It is a fun car to drive, and it will be missed. Honestly, the G should be most of what the Z is when I am finished with it, and I think I will get better service if I do have issues, along with a lot more room (although that was not really an issue for me). I did not buy the coupe because I plan to buy another sports car soon, either a 240 and do a SR swap, or something like a used RX-7. So, I did not want to end up with two 2 door cars

I sold my wheels and am working on selling the diffuser to members here, I plan to install the Stoptech's and Nismo suspension on the G, along with some of the other Nismo things I own.

I will still be part of this board, as I have been around since the early days, and the Z will be missed.

Thanks to all that have provided input to me, and I hope you will continue to do so, I feel like I am still part of the family (maybe not a brother, but a close cousin)....
Old 04-06-2004, 04:36 PM
mode101

I dont blame you at all. In fact, I'm proud of you.

If I could get out of my roadster without loosing my ****, I'd be out of mine too.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM
jran76

That was the reason I jumped on the deal. I have been looking for a while, talked to Crest in Plano about a month ago, they did not seem to interested in selling me a car, so I went to Sewell last weekend, they were great. The gave me around 24K trade in, I only owe 18, so I pretty much will trade stait across, my payments stay the same, and it will take a year + longer to pay off than the Z.

I figured if I waited any longer the value of my 28K car would go down quick....
Old 04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
NzZ

Default Re: Trading My Z for a G35 Sedan....

While I can understand why you would want to upgrade given all your problems, why buy the same darn car? The G35 shares most of the mechanicals...so the 6spd will probably still have issues... seems silly to go back to the hand that slapped ya.

NzZ
Old 04-06-2004, 07:33 PM
jran76

Hmmm.... I like quite a few things about the Z, actually I like the tranny a lot. I just don't like the fact I grinded third gear at least once a week. Really it was the need for something with a little more luxury and a little better service.

As for my tranny problems, I had a very early tranny, rev. 01 (I got my car in Aug. 02), they are now on rev. 08. I feel confident that Nissan has fixed the issue. Most tranny issues seem to be relegated to the first 2000 cars. I have had Nissan's in the past and been impressed with the build quality, I was surprised by the build quality of the Z (especially considering it was actually built in Japan).

I think the G fits the bill, it posses the qualities I like about the Z: the suspension, brakes, engine, etc. It does not have some I don't: quality of interior, crappy service, tire feathering.... And more room is a bonus.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:05 PM
NzZ

I have an 03 Z, recently drove a brand new 04 G, latest tranny...still grinded, was still notchy. If this is truly a problem (it may just be the design of the tranny, as even people who have replaced it still experience notchiness and grinds)...it has NOT, I repeat NOT been fixed. I love the G35, I'd just hate to see you buy one expecting a buttery smooth tranny...b/c they just don't have it.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:41 PM
2003z

I had a loaner G the other day, when the wife's Gcoupe was in for service, and thought it would be the ultimate sleeper with the right mods. Congrats, its the same car wrapped in sensible clothes. I think you will be happy!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 PM
aznkukuboi

u'll luv the G too

it's sexi
Old 04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
nis350z

Originally posted by mode101
I dont blame you at all. In fact, I'm proud of you.

If I could get out of my roadster without loosing my ****, I'd be out of mine too.
wow... what is wrong with the roadster? I am about to get one.. please advice... Thanks.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:16 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by NzZ
I have an 03 Z, recently drove a brand new 04 G, latest tranny...still grinded, was still notchy. If this is truly a problem (it may just be the design of the tranny, as even people who have replaced it still experience notchiness and grinds)...it has NOT, I repeat NOT been fixed. I love the G35, I'd just hate to see you buy one expecting a buttery smooth tranny...b/c they just don't have it.
Yep, You are absolutly right. My 04' Roadster built in01/04 is knochy also on 2nd & 3rd. It seems like its grinding but very lightly.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:12 AM
mickey

Default Thanks for your contribution

Hey Josh,

Congrats on your new ride. Good choice on the G. Like the Z, the G35 Sedan catches attention. Awesome looking sedan.

Thanks again for your help in my iForged wheel purchase, and your write up on rear windshield wiper removal. So did you put the wiper back on?

Be sure to post pics when you have the G. The Diamond Graphite is the equivalent of Silver Stone right? So you didn't go for a different color eh?

Rgd,
Mickey
Old 04-07-2004, 07:57 AM
mode101

Originally posted by nis350z
wow... what is wrong with the roadster? I am about to get one.. please advice... Thanks.
Go and check out the Repairing of the board to see whats wrong with the Z
Old 04-07-2004, 12:18 PM
jran76

Micky gald to help, I will still be around as this seems to be the best place for info on this platform. Yes, Diamond graphite is the same as our SS, paint code WV2.

As for the tranny, I like it, the notchiness does not bother me, that is prevelent in all gears to some extent. I just want to get rid of the bad grind.... When I say grind, this is bad, sounds like I don't know how to drive bad. I know it is not me though, I have never grided any gear but third, that tells me it is not the tranny. I don't expect a buttery smooth tranny.

The tranny is by no means "the" reason I decided to trade it in, I wanted a little more luxury, with a little better service.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by jran76
Yes, Diamond graphite is the same as our SS, paint code WV2.
I parked next to a SS z in my Diamond Graphite and mine looked less gray, more green. If that makes sense. Not that I'm arguing the paint code, they just didn't look the same. Maybe it was in the lines.

Anyways, good luck with the trade. I did the same thing, partly for the same reasons as you and a few others. I love my new G.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:23 PM
jran76

Originally posted by Hey Ya
I parked next to a SS z in my Diamond Graphite and mine looked less gray, more green. If that makes sense. Not that I'm arguing the paint code, they just didn't look the same. Maybe it was in the lines.

Anyways, good luck with the trade. I did the same thing, partly for the same reasons as you and a few others. I love my new G.
Hmmm... interesting, well I will find out when I take the Z in this weekend to trade it in .

That is funny, I did not realize you traded your Z in, what dealership did you get your G from? What do you think so far of the difference?

Last edited by jran76; 04-07-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by jran76
Hmmm... interesting, well I will find out when I take the Z in this weekend to trade it in .

That is funny, I did not realize you traded your Z in, what dealership did you get your G from? What do you think so far of the difference?
I went to Grubbs, took a pretty big hit on the trade, but I'm happy with it.

I'm not trying to get flamed/start wars but the main thing I've noticed is fewer rattles. That was one thing I really didn't like about my Z. With all of the rattles in the Z, it just felt like it was falling apart the more the miles added up. Note that both the Z and G were/are autos, so I don't have any tranny issues. I feel a loss of performance on the low end. The Z tube has helped slightly, more to come in this department.

The one thing I really wasn't too happy with was the suspension on the G (sport suspension). It was just too soft and buickish? coming from the Z. But I've fixed that now! (see sig )

As for service, I took the Z in one time for regular maintenance and was conveniently ignored at my dealer for about 30 minutes before anyone talked to me. After that, I got oil changes at other Nissan dealers and had pretty good experiences. I haven't had any experience with the Infiniti yet so I can't comment.

Whether the interior gets redesigned or not, I like mine. I've heard the Z is getting a makeover as well, I liked the interior in my old one too... Wheels will probably be changed as well so that's not an issue.

Those are just my impressions on the differences between the cars. I had several other reasons for trading that are totally unrelated, so I won't get into those.

So if you asked me if I would do it again, or consider another option, I'd definitely do it again. The Z was extremely fun, but the G fits me better.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:16 PM
ml2316

it might be worth it to some people for the customer service alone. also, the warranty is better.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Reb1281

There's no way that I'd ever trade a Z for a G *sedan*. Maybe the coupe, but I'd still rather have the Z--with all of her potential??? problems.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by ml2316
it might be worth it to some people for the customer service alone. also, the warranty is better.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. The brakes! On the Z, brakes were squealing loudly after a couple thousand miles. On the G, brakes are squealing occasionally after a couple thousand miles.

The only difference is that I found this handy card in the glovebox of the G that said "due to customer problems, you have a 3 yr/36k mile warranty on the brakes" (in so many words) And I think that includes pads/rotors. But don't quote me on that, I didn't read it too thoroughly.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Z. If I could afford two cars, the other one would be a Z.

Actually, if I could afford two cars, I'd buy one of those new M5s or something spiffy like that.

Quick Reply: Trading My Z for a G35 Sedan....