MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Clear Side Marker Installation (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/69981-clear-side-marker-installation.html)

fblue 04-13-2004 09:47 AM

Clear Side Marker Installation

I am about as bad as it gets when it comes to fixing things. How do you go about changing the side markers on the Z? Do you just pop them out, or is there somewhere where you can screw them out?

DiRN 04-13-2004 10:02 AM

I'm about to do this myself. You either need to remove the bumper of loosen it enough to get your hand inside (easier on the driver's side than the passenger's). To do this, you need to remove the wheels so that you can get behind the fender guards.

fblue 04-13-2004 10:05 AM

Originally posted by DiRN
I'm about to do this myself. You either need to remove the bumper of loosen it enough to get your hand inside (easier on the driver's side than the passenger's). To do this, you need to remove the wheels so that you can get behind the fender guards.
Thanks. Sounds like I will have to have the dealer do it when they replace my hatch latch and kickplates on Saturday. I wonder what they will charge to put the markers in? I know if I try to do it I'll break something, either by accident or in frustration. Hahaha.

DiRN 04-13-2004 10:07 AM

Originally posted by fblue
Thanks. Sounds like I will have to have the dealer do it when they replace my hatch latch and kickplates on Saturday. I wonder what they will charge to put the markers in? I know if I try to do it I'll break something, either by accident or in frustration. Hahaha.
You should ask them if they'll let you watch.

yobri 04-13-2004 10:10 AM

You won't break anything if you DIY. Well, I can't vouch for you if you remove the bumper, but if you do it from underneath the car and the bumper intact, you will be fine ;)

DiRN 04-13-2004 10:15 AM

Originally posted by yobri
You won't break anything if you DIY. Well, I can't vouch for you if you remove the bumper, but if you do it from underneath the car and the bumper intact, you will be fine ;)
Can you get to the side markers that way? I thought you had to go through the wheel to be able to reach them?

yobri 04-13-2004 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by DiRN
Can you get to the side markers that way? I thought you had to go through the wheel to be able to reach them?
Not necessary although doing so MIGHT prove easier. You can easily access the driver's side, but the passenger side is rather tight. That side took me the longest time, b/c of the narrow space to work in. But all that I took off were the screws to the under body covering, and I didn't remove the entire covering at that. (I read about this technique on this board a long time ago ;) ).

A tool similar to this will help with the passenger side. It can be obtained at sears.com among other places ;)

DiRN 04-13-2004 10:31 AM

Originally posted by yobri
Not necessary although doing so MIGHT prove easier. You can easily access the driver's side, but the passenger side is rather tight. That side took me the longest time, b/c of the narrow space to work in. But all that I took off were the screws to the under body covering, and I didn't remove the entire covering at that. (I read about this technique on this board a long time ago ;) ).

A tool similar to this will help with the passenger side. It can be obtained at sears.com among other places ;)

Thanks for sharing. This should be much easier than taking off the wheels. Hopefully it'll work for me.

Boogak 04-13-2004 10:53 AM

I didn't have to take off the wheels when I did mine, I did turn the steering wheel all the way left or right depending on driver or passenger side to make room. I also loosened the bumper but didn't have to take it totally off to get that passenger side one off, that one was PITA.

hugo1669 04-13-2004 11:18 AM

I didn't remove the wheels. All I did was turn the wheels all the way left or right. I used the tool described above and it made it fairly easy. You definitely don't have to remove the bumper. The space is tight but its a pretty simple mod to do yourself.

Jun 04-13-2004 01:20 PM

just remove the bumper, it only takes about 10 minutes of your life...if that.

shinz 04-13-2004 02:19 PM

i tried to do with by going from under the bumper with that S shaped screw driver but i just couldn't unscrew the stock passenger marker. After about 10 minutes i just gave up. I started out with the passenger side since i heard it's a b!tch. no point in doing driver side first if you can't get the passenger side out. Maybe ill try agian some other time.

ssk0771 04-13-2004 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Jun
just remove the bumper, it only takes about 10 minutes of your life...if that.
Ditto.

It makes it so much easier.

Dissident 04-14-2004 01:34 PM

Be careful getting those stupid tabs off the top of the bumper: i pressed to hard trying to pop one and marred the bumper :(

Didn't need to take the wheels off; I tried with a right angle screw driver and had no luck. Shoulda just taken the bumper off.

ragtopz 04-14-2004 10:17 PM

took off bumper, slightly time consuming, but very simple.

DiRN 04-15-2004 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Dissident
Be careful getting those stupid tabs off the top of the bumper: i pressed to hard trying to pop one and marred the bumper :(
When I need to pop those clips out, I put electrical tape on the bumper so that the screw driver touches that instead of the bumper.