Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

More Noob questions: how bad do Redline and/or D. Blue show swirls, scratches, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Skrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Noob questions: how bad do Redline and/or D. Blue show swirls, scratches, etc.

I have always been a Silver car guy because silvers are so easy to take care off. But I love the look of Daytona Blue and Redline on the Z. But how hard are those colors to take care of? How bad do they show imperfections. I tend to be kind of **** about my paint (and thus would never, ever get black).

BTW, my initial thought is to get Silverstone.

Last edited by Skrill; 07-29-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:56 PM
mwaller

I have a Redline 350Z. It's almost two years old now, and still looks really good. However, despite the most attentive care, tiny scratches have appeared (not to mention rock chips on the hood...grrrrr) Scratches are most noticeable in bad lighting - parking lots etc. Any non-metallic paint will show scratches more readily than a metallic or pearl. If visibility of scratches is your primary concern, DB is the better color of the two. Metal flake adds "depth" to the finish, and distracts your eye from many minor surface imperfections.
Still, I'm one of those people who thinks sports cars should be red....
Mika
Old 07-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Dissolved

Darker colors show swirl marks more by nature. You have to take the upmost caution with the paint from day 1. (ie: using nothing but good microfiber, drying with an electric leaf blower etc.). Ultimately swirl marks are unavoidable to some degree. I have them under the right light on my Z. But 99.9% of the time you cannot see them.

My favorite colors for the 350z are white, black, chrome silver and silverstone. Not too crazy about the other colors.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:10 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Redline. Red and black are the only two non-metallic paints on the Z, and non-metallic paints aren't as 'complicated' to the eye as metallic paints, so you naturally see swirl marks more. The way I see it, that's what Zaino is for!!!

I personally love the Red, as it shows off the curves of the car way better than all of the other colors IMHO. But that's just me.

Here's some pictures of my car. Don't see many Redline's out there,which is another reason I like it!

http://cobean.homeip.net:8080/index....owimages&fid=4

Last edited by kcobean; 07-29-2004 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:13 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

As Dissolved stated, if you take care of your paintjob you won't get swirls and scratches. I use Zaino and one of their products helps hide swirl marks and fine scratches (the Z-5). I put a couple coats on every couple of months and that takes care of any that I have gotten. I am also very careful with my car so I think I'm doing all the right stuff to prevent them.

Check out Autopia (http://www.autopia.org). It is a site devoted to auto detailing. You can learn a lot there on techniques and products that will help you keep your Z looking better than the day it arrived.