Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How did you and 350z meet

Old 05-04-2002, 05:35 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you and 350z meet

The question often asked of a happy couple is "How did the two of you meet?" I think this is an interesting question for fellow board members: how did you first hear about the 350z, and what made you decide you had to order one?

My story: I always lusted after the 300ZX TT but never wanted to pay that much for a used car (and when it was new it was not an option for me economically). When I first saw the 350z concept with its humongous front grille and heard it was 260hp, I wasn't that enthused. I wasn't aware of the details of the production car until I was prodded by -- I'm embarrased to admit -- a web ad! I never click on those things, but this time I was interested to see pics of the production model. Hours later I was still on the web soaking up more and more info. When I saw the the production images and learned of 280+ (and possible more) hp, I was hooked! Within a week I put in my order.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:27 AM
BullishZ

On a star-filled night at the park...

j/k

On the S2000 forum, and the discussion of the 350Z came out. They were praising it and saying that it would be a tough competitor to their car. At that instant, I checked out the car and made up my mind.

Haven't ever looked back!
Old 05-04-2002, 07:13 AM
irishfan

Saved $$$ for three years, planning to buy a new 300 in the summer of '97, but Nissan didn't cooperate with that plan. That money's gone, but when the January bill for my 2000 Maxima lease included a little blurb about the new 350Z, I was hooked all over again.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Zmeflyby

umm...when i read a magazine and saw it in there??
Old 05-04-2002, 07:48 AM
2003z

I've had 4 240Z's and a 91 Twin Turbo. I sold my last 240, which I had totally redone 2 summers ago and was Z less. I have always been a Nissan fan, so when I heard online somewhere that Nissan was having a new concept Z at the 2001 detroit auto show, I knew that was the perfect reason to go. You see, I had always wanted to go to a big auto show and since the Z was there, and I work for an airline and fly free, I figured, why not. When I saw the orange beast, I knew I had to have it. I called around in Atlanta last winter, and every dealer but GP nissan wanted at least 2000 over sticker to take an order. GP nissan's internet manager said "sure no prob at msrp" and made an appt. for me with his sales manager. That guy missed the 1st appointment and then told me at my 2nd appointment that they weren't taking names or deposits, but feel free to bother him every other month or so until they were! Here I was with $1000 burning a hole in my pocket and not only wouldnt he take it, but he treated me like an idiot. I put my deposit down in Dallas at Courtesy Nissan since they were advertising at msrp a year and a half out. I was number 4 there, but found a dealer in NC who sold me for $1000 under msrp.
I also was able to go to the 2002 LA show (on a layover for work), Detroit and Atlanta auto shows, so I am probably the only one here to see both show cars.

Sorry so long
Old 05-04-2002, 08:01 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

This past Saturday I spent all day at the Atlanta Auto Show not even looking for a new car. I found the Nissan exhibit late in the day and stayed till the show closed drooling over the new Z. Had not heard any thing about it until I saw it at the show and guess what......it was love at first site. Needless to say in 15 minutes after the closest dealer opened near my house on Sunday I had preordered my new Z. Love the sound of <b>my</b> new Z.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:10 AM
ndriver

I fell in love with the 300 in 98 but I could not afford to get one then, there were murmuring in 99-00 of a concept Z that didn't make it into production, I was still hopeful, 2001 wasn’t such a good year either I hated the concept, I was ready to move on from the Nissan brand to the VW/Audi, but then I took one more trip to Detroit to checkout the pre-production model this year and that sealed everything.
I would have been happier if Nissan had drawn its inspiration from the 300.
I've waited for my Z for a long time ...
Old 05-04-2002, 08:37 AM
kevintari

Nearly a year ago (I think) my friend asks me "Have you seen the new Z they're coming out with? It looks awesome!" Forgot about it, then one day I'm at the airport getting ready to go on a trip, and I see the Motor trend with the Z on th ecover and the "Under $30,000!" headline...I went ballistic! HAD to have it...found out about the pre-orders and that was it!
Old 05-04-2002, 10:15 AM
D C

I was interested from the second I first saw the concept vehicle. It was in an issue of Sport Compact Car that also featured the concept versions of the newest Eclipse and Celica, if that tells you how long ago that was.
Old 05-04-2002, 04:50 PM
TCL

In late 1999 or early 2000 I saw a small blurb in Road & Track stating that Nissan was rumored to be re-introducing the Z. At that time they quoted horsepower projections that exceeded my 1999 M3's at a price of $30K. I starting wondering if I made the wrong move by buying the M3 at $40K+. I had been interested in the Z ever since the 240 was first introduced. Put my name on a waiting list at a dealer in November 2000 and pre-ordered as soon as that was possible.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:11 PM
MaximumHP

A long time ago I was already wanting a sports car but couldn’t afford it due to how much I made, bought a house, and had a terrible driving record and high insurance (long story) I was looking forward to the day I could once again own a sports car. Loving the Z32’s I was excited back in 99 of a rumored new Z. As most I was disappointed with the first iteration with the 4 cylinders and stuff. Kind of forgot about it for a while and was looking for something else, corvette, and s2000, something to fill that need. I first saw the new concept in a magazine. Can’t remember which one, might have been the SCC mentioned above. I was like Ohhh…, having a Maxima I knew the VQ had tremendous potential. Although somewhat outrageous I liked the general lines of the concept. The next day I was looking on the net for more info and stumbled across Zcar’s site and now I’m just waiting for em to get here.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:37 PM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

My dad told me about the new Z about a year ago. He had a '76 280Z when I was a kid and he was planning to buy the new Z. As it turns out, he ended up buying an SUV and I ended up buying the Z. He may be getting a Z next year, but I can tell he's a little jealous that I'm getting mine first. Maybe I'll let him drive mine, but he never let me drive the '76 280Z. Granted I was 8 years old at the time.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:26 PM
goofyZ

i was planning for my next car, something for ME. searching the internet about nine or ten months ago when I came upon the fairlady prototype. I thought it look so hot. And with the Z haritage I knew this would be an incradable machine. I especially loved the interior which unfortunately has been tone down. When I first went in search of someone to put my name on a waiting list they didn't even know what I was talking about. As more info about the Z came out my intrest intensified to a feverish pitch. and now I wait......
Old 05-04-2002, 10:56 PM
brackethead

I saw a magazine article, C&D or R&T, don't remember, uh, about a year ago or more (?). It had a bunch of concepts in it including the Z and RX-8. At the time I remember I told a friend (a former Z32 n/a owner) that I liked the RX-8's looks better and didn't care for the Z! I've been thinking about replacing my Integra GS-R, and I knew I wanted more displacement, more performance, but still great handling. At the time, no reasonably priced cars were very appealing to me. Used M3 sounded good. Boxster? Not a convertible guy, and too overpriced & underpowered.

Then I saw the 2nd concept pictures late last year (the Orange one), and started thinking seriously about the 350Z. I just happened to remember about it around the 2nd week in January 2002, and lo and behold, Nissan was about to debut the production car in Detroit. And somehow I found out about the pre-order program, went up to NissanDriven.com, and submitted my order the first day the dealer was accepting them.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:16 AM
dvlad

The first time i sw the Z in person was at the Detroit Auto Show. At the time i really didn't care for the look of the car. I was interested in getting a Mini Cooper S, or wait a year and get a used M3.

When i went to the chicago auto show, i just stood there for 30 minutes drooling over the car. Right then, i new that i had to have it.

Four days later and $1000 less i had pre-ordered a "03 350Z. It was another 5 weeks until i found this forum and became a true Z Freak.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:50 AM
ncrecordkeeper

don't even remember now it's been so long....but would've been after I saw the concept in a mag somewhere....and read it was a go for production....i as hooked
Old 05-05-2002, 06:00 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default 350Z affair

This will be my 4th Z, currently driving a 90 300ZX 2+2. I read in a car magazine along time ago (at least 3 years) that nissan was going to reintroduce the 240Z. I was not that fond of the 240Z, in fact I was driving RX7's until 1984 when I got my first Z, loved it and continued to buy Z's. The first concept picture was not impressive..I thought the car was too square looking and frankly, not a pretty sight. Saw revised protypes in the following years and each one looked better and better. Then R & T had the silver beauty on the front cover in nov/dec 2001 I was in love and hooked. The dealerships had no info and no idea when it would be available and no one would commit to a down payment because they didn't know the cost of the car. I went to bring my 90 in to get sucked for emissions and it didn't pass in one area. So I was at a dealership getting it fixed and my fiance told the service manager that I was thinking of selling my 90 and getting the new 350Z..the used car manager was all over my car like flys on $hit(single owner and only 67,000 miles and clean) the new car manager shared the info with me that he just had received regarding pre-ordering the car I want, colors options etc. So I ordered my 350Z on 1/11/02 and I have been waiting impatiently ever since. Can't wait to get my Z. sorry this is so long
Old 05-05-2002, 07:29 AM
Zay

Well I love sports cars but, never owned one. I've driven plenty. I was going to be in the market for a new car in the summer and wanted a sports car. I was considering WRX, VW GTI (not very exciting choices huh), so thought I might stretch the budget and go for used Vette or M3. Then, I saw the December '01 R&T with the 350Z on the cover (I still have th issue and I know some of you do to ) and I was sold. I saw it at the Auto show in Dallas and ordered the next day.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not in the market for a new car.
I have (2) cars that I bought on same day 4 years ago, a Dodge Intrepid ES, and a Dodge Dakota truck.
My sister mentioned to me one day that she and her husband needed to get a new car, but they couldn't afford much. The next day, a coworker sent me a url to a pic of the 350Z.
That was the end of my pre-pre-order existence.
I put a deposit on the Z within a week, and I have sold my Intrepid to my sis. I've promised her she will get the car 8/1/02, and I have worked our car-pool arrangements to get to work until my Z arrives.

A sports car is not practical for me.

I have never had a desire to own a sports car.

I turn 40 in November.

I can't wait for my Z.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:47 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default SCAFREMON

When is your birthday in november, mine is the 11th? Are you a true scorpio?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How did you and 350z meet