Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

For all those that (really do) hate the 370z....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Endgame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zed-er
While it's true that a forum is for the constructive debate of the particular forum's topic, for some reason, this forum is different. Maybe it's the level of maturity of some posters. I don't know.

I've said before how childish it is that so many threads devolve into name calling and single word posts like "FAIL." All in all, it makes for a rather painful process of debate. Anyone who can endure the infantile name calling and mudslinging on this forum without joining in, is a TRUE diehard Z fan and should be commended.

It may also be the self-importance some feel on this forum. At the Chiatt/Day launch event in L.A., I overheard several loud statements along the lines of, "I wish Nissan had talked to ME before they designed those headlights and taillights!"

As if.

There was one guy at the same event running around screaming that the plate in the door jamb said the car weighted 3900 pounds! Myself and another guy recommended he just chill, since the plate clearly said GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT 3900 lbs. After we calmly explained to this Mensa member the meaning of gross vehicle weight, the dude just shrugged and walked off. I'm not sure if he fully believed us. So what.

Piling on seems to be the name of the game around here and I've posted my objection to the practice.

It's almost as if many on this forum suffer from what can only be called SGTR Syndrome, which stands for Smartest Guy In The Room. So many posters just want to be the first to post some ridiculous factoid or link that they neglect to see the same link posted three threads above theirs. They want everybody to think their "contribution" is so much more clever than everyone else's.

It all just gets dumber and dumberer.

It's funny, since Trebien and I kinda duked it out about strong "370Z hate" posts, that now we're both going to end up in the same "new" car - a 2 year old Cayman S. LOL

I liked the 350Z, but now feel it looks a little bit dated next to the 370Z. Not bad, just dated. I really like the 370Z, too. A lot! I think it's a whole lotta car for the dough. I think it looks great and will probably run like stink and Nissan will sell every last one of them.

Unfortunately, just not to me. Apparently, not to Trebien either.

I haven't been lurking since I decided to go Cayman S. One quick look around here tonight reminds me of just how tiresome "debate" on this forum can be. Maybe the moderators can help get rid of the attitude on this forum. Or Maybe they like it that way.

Either way, the 370Z is a fine evolution of the Z platform, even if some on this forum perceive it to be full of warts. I wouldn't doubt that the 370Z will stick right with the Cayman at half the price. Not too shabby.

zed-er
Well said Zed-er.... Sorry to hear you will be leaving the 'Z' world, but do what is good for you. After seeing the Z in person, reading some of the reviews, and I heavily leaning toward the Z over the Vette, CS, or Z4M I was also considering.

Enjoy your CS!! PLEASE do the TechArt treatment to it!!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Nick-VTR

I don't own a 350 - I am thinking of purchasing one in the new year. Still wondering if I should wait for the 370, but the more pics I see of the 370z, the less I like it.

Check out the two attached pics, clearly the 350z has a much nicer shape...
Attached Thumbnails For all those that (really do) hate the 370z....-a.jpg   For all those that (really do) hate the 370z....-b.jpg  
Old 12-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Red6

Ok I have seen the 370Z car in person (yes it doesn’t look right) and I let my 350z go a long time ago.

I agree the new 370z is aesthetically off.

To say people are jealous is absurd.

It’s like trading in a good looking 30 year old for an ugly bucktooth 24 year old.

The 24 year old might be in her prime but boy she is ugly. The outcome is that you’ll have to make a lot of enhancements to make her look right (but hey her inside organs are totally worth it man). The 24 year will totally grow on you and she’s far superior (sacastism) even though initally you think she repulsive and heinous.

The majority of the posts about the 370z is because of its aesthetics. The lines of the 370 just do not flow. Just take a look at classic and supercars; the lines flow with the car and a persons eye automatically follows the design of those lines. If Nissan takes out the headlight/tails and the butthole they might have a nice looking updated car. As the 370z now stands it’s an eye sore and looks ricey (sorry man).

Hopefullly like the subie WRX they change the headlight and taillights out in a year or two. I imagine is going to happen.

At the LA auto show there was a lot of disappointment at the Nissan booth regarding the 370z. The GTR even being a year old stole the booths attention.

The 370z will never have the same luck at the 350Z because it’s overpriced, economic times are different, and the trim packages are not as nice. The parts are no longer Rays, the Brembos have been taken away and the Nismo parts look like ish. Face it there are better cars out for the money.

Last edited by Red6; 12-29-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 AM
scrapser

The girlfriend analogy is a good one. Interesting to hear about the reception the 370 got at the LA auto show...hopefully that alone will send a message to Nissan that they still have some work to do. The car's appearance IS off.

I think Nissan overextended themselves in development and ran out of time before "something" had to go to production. Maybe after a couple years, they will have recovered enough of the initial development costs to make some much needed changes but I think that will depend on if they decide to continue with the new frame as the foundation for the future models. If they will be putting an even larger engine in the car sometime in the future, that model will likely be redesigned from scratch. That's the model I'm going to wait for. I doubt Nissan will make the same mistake twice.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 PM
zindy

i can see nissan doing what subaru did with the tribeca and wrx. 2 years of that ugly front end and they changed both. who knows though, if nissan starts to redesign other cars with these "boomarang" headlights they might be here to stay.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Rexy7

stock vs stock no comparison 370z looks better than the 350z..nuff said.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Shadrackc

Originally Posted by Rexy7
Well then that seals it. I'm going to sell my new 350 and buy the 370.
Not.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
scrapser

Enjoy your 370 (when you get it) and the rest of us who have one will continue to enjoy our 350...nuff said.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Rexy7

Originally Posted by scrapser
Enjoy your 370 (when you get it) and the rest of us who have one will continue to enjoy our 350...nuff said.
Then why is there a dumb thread like this? Topic should of just said "370z hatter" thread, because this thread obvious is. Why are all you people here then, I am just making my point out, and it is not definite that I will be getting a 370z especially 1st year production..heck might even keep my car and go FI. Everyone that says that the 370z is ugly is a complete idiot because it still looks like a 350z..nuff said
Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 PM
HiHo_Silver350

Then why is there a dumb thread like this? Topic should of just said "370z hatter" thread, because this thread obvious is. Why are all you people here then, I am just making my point out, and it is not definite that I will be getting a 370z especially 1st year production..heck might even keep my car and go FI. Everyone that says that the 370z is ugly is a complete idiot because it still looks like a 350z..nuff said
Once the manufacturer changes the shape of a car, minimal or not, that car is a different car. so no, nobody is an idiot for stating the new 370z is ugly. that's their opinion and yours is yours.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Shadrackc

If you look, some of us stated our reasons why we don't like the look.
Don't like the sharp upturn on the side windows.
Don't like the small rear window shape.
Don't like the front fangs.
Don't like the butt hole.
Don't like the thicker hatch and look from the side.
Don't like the ricey interior, especially the cheeseball left fuel gauge. Who thought of that one? I like the black interior of the 350Z.
I do like that they moved the rear strut.
I like the rev matching idea.

What I didn't do was say "the 370 sucs and the 350 is waaaay better and anyone who thinks different is an idiot" like you did. Give reasons, not just insults. Maybe that is why you got the reaction you did.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:21 PM
scrapser

The 350 was a first (read, "original") design. The 370 is an attempt to keep some of the 350's recognizable shape (to carry over the sales appeal the 350 established and exploit it) while blending in some influence of the first Z, the 240 series. It failed. The car looks like an abortion on that point alone. It's not that they ruined the 350's "look" or because 350 owners are jealous. Those arguments have no basis and are pure speculation.

Next, we have the infamous fangs which make the front of the car look very much like a catfish and the funny shaped lights which do not tie in with anything on the car at all. People say they do but they never give a specific, real life example of how.

Then there's the useless rear foglight which may be required in Europe but aesthetically it makes the rear end look sort of weird at minimum.

A lot of people like to mod their car so a lot of these issues can be taken care of by replacing parts (except maybe the lights) but for most people, they will drive the car as is and are stuck with these things whether they like them or not...or care at all. Some people will simply be happy owning the car because it's a Z.

For many who own a 350, I think the wow factor it brought to the scene spoiled them and when they heard there was going to be a new Z, they were expecting something that would wow them all over again and perhaps become another legendary car as the 350 has. The 370 simply doesn't do that visually. Instead, they are left scratching their head trying to decide if they really like how it looks. These people (myself included) don't hate the 370, they are simply disappointed in what was released and come here to express that disappointment.

I'm waiting for what comes after the 370...I feel Nissan will learn from its experience marketing the 370.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Shadrackc

Very very well said. That was an educated opinion backed with some fact. I agree on all your points and you summed up how I feel about the 370 perfectly. Not jealous, but actually kind of happy that they screwed it up. I'm glad. I'm not jealous, because if I was, then I would be selling my car to buy the new one. Glad that it doesn't add to the visual appeal of the original, but kind of mixes it up. Like Nissan changed things for the sake of change, not for improvement. On the strut and the rev match, great ideas, improvement for sure. On the look, changing off Brembos, adding sharp edges to a smooth car just doesn't do it for me.
No jealousy at all when I was expecting to have some.
For me, what Nissan did to the 370 is positive. Now I will enjoy my 350Z that much more. Adding 26 horsepower is easy so there is no "speed" envy, and the 350 is such a refined good looking car that the "scrappy" angular change to the 370 takes away from the smooth asthetics by adding sharp corners when there wasn't a need for it. Do the teeth on the front perform any function at all?
Thank you Nissan for not making a car I'm jealous of. You just saved me 30K+. Now had you shaved off 400lbs somehow I will admit that I would have been torn....but you didn't. Again. Thank you Nissan.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
newtkindred

It has gotten to the point I come to this forum out of habit. It has become wrought with worthless opinionated posts and less information. People stating their opinions like they are fact and arguing over them. Why are there those who think their opinions are the golden mean of tastes? It seems the majority of people like the new Z more than the outgoing model. Again, I said, "it seems" not "they do".

Finally, it would seem to me if you hated a car so much you would not spend so much time posting on a forum about it. But that is just me.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Wukillabeez78

Originally Posted by scrapser
The 350 was a first (read, "original") design. The 370 is an attempt to keep some of the 350's recognizable shape (to carry over the sales appeal the 350 established and exploit it) while blending in some influence of the first Z, the 240 series. It failed. The car looks like an abortion on that point alone. It's not that they ruined the 350's "look" or because 350 owners are jealous. Those arguments have no basis and are pure speculation.

Next, we have the infamous fangs which make the front of the car look very much like a catfish and the funny shaped lights which do not tie in with anything on the car at all. People say they do but they never give a specific, real life example of how.

Then there's the useless rear foglight which may be required in Europe but aesthetically it makes the rear end look sort of weird at minimum.

A lot of people like to mod their car so a lot of these issues can be taken care of by replacing parts (except maybe the lights) but for most people, they will drive the car as is and are stuck with these things whether they like them or not...or care at all. Some people will simply be happy owning the car because it's a Z.

For many who own a 350, I think the wow factor it brought to the scene spoiled them and when they heard there was going to be a new Z, they were expecting something that would wow them all over again and perhaps become another legendary car as the 350 has. The 370 simply doesn't do that visually. Instead, they are left scratching their head trying to decide if they really like how it looks. These people (myself included) don't hate the 370, they are simply disappointed in what was released and come here to express that disappointment.

I'm waiting for what comes after the 370...I feel Nissan will learn from its experience marketing the 370.

What you're saying is simply bananas... All I've had is Nissan's and Infiniti's and to me (and to many other people including the magazines that have reviewed the car) it definitely has that WOW factor. Nissan has nothing to learn at all about marketing the 370Z, once they start with the tv ads the car will sale. If I were Nissan I wouldn't be concerned that some of the owners of 350Z's don't like the car, most automakers realize this is to be expected when they redesign any vehicle. Some people on this site are making a big deal about the redesign (in a negative way) but out in the real world the opinions I'm hearing are the exact opposite (people are saying positive things). The only thing Nissan or any other automaker are concerned about right now are the current economic conditions and how it's effecting the auto industry. Nissan recently put out the new Maxima, some people hated it (I was one of them) while others liked it. Same thing with the Honda and it's new Accord (which I and many other people dislike but look at how well it sales). In 2002 when Nissan put out the 3rd Gen Altima many people hated the redesign and thought it was really extreme (esp. the so called "b'boy styled racer taillights") but now that car looks bland compared to other vehicles out.

All I'm saying is that for every person that thinks the 370Z looks bad there is a person that thinks it looks great, much better than the 350Z. This guy is one of them http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...9-nissan-270z/
and so am I. You can't say the new car's design is a failure (you can't say a car is a failure until it's been released and examined/critiqued by the buying public) because sooooooo many people disagree and think that it's a big improvement. It might be a failure in your eyes but to many people outside of this forum the 350Z was a failure and was a car that many overlooked due to it's shortcomings like this link suggests...
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/370z/2009/review.html
Or take a look at this thread
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/382090-300zx350z
many people still feel 300ZX>350Z.... So does that make the 350Z a failure because a large group of people think/feel it's ugly? My point is it's ok for people to say they hate the 370Z and list the things they hate (I do it all the time in regards to cars I dislike myself). But you can't say it's a failure just because you or other people don't like it because just as many people out there LOVE IT and think it's an improvement in every imaginable way over the 350Z.

Last edited by Wukillabeez78; 12-29-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
What you're saying is simply bananas... All I've had is Nissan's and Infiniti's and to me (and to many other people including the magazines that have reviewed the car) it definitely has that WOW factor. Nissan has nothing to learn at all about marketing the 370Z, once they start with the tv ads the car will sale. If I were Nissan I wouldn't be concerned that some of the owners of 350Z's don't like the car, most automakers realize this is to be expected when they redesign any vehicle. Some people on this site are making a big deal about the redesign (in a negative way) but out in the real world the opinions I'm hearing are the exact opposite (people are saying positive things). The only thing Nissan or any other automaker are concerned about right now are the current economic conditions and how it's effecting the auto industry. Nissan recently put out the new Maxima, some people hated it (I was one of them) while others liked it. Same thing with the Honda and it's new Accord (which I and many other people dislike but look at how well it sales). In 2002 when Nissan put out the 3rd Gen Altima many people hated the redesign and thought it was really extreme (esp. the so called "b'boy styled racer taillights") but now that car looks bland compared to other vehicles out.

All I'm saying is that for every person that thinks the 370Z looks bad there is a person that thinks it looks great, much better than the 350Z. This guy is one of them http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...9-nissan-270z/
and so am I. You can't say the new car's design is a failure (you can't say a car is a failure until it's been released and examined/critiqued by the buying public) because sooooooo many people disagree and think that it's a big improvement. It might be a failure in your eyes but to many people outside of this forum the 350Z was a failure and was a car that many overlooked due to it's shortcomings like this link suggests...
many people still feel 300ZX>350Z.... So does that make the 350Z a failure because a large group of people think/feel it's ugly? My point is it's ok for people to say they hate the 370Z and list the things they hate (I do it all the time in regards to cars I dislike myself). But you can't say it's a failure just because you or other people don't like it because just as many people out there LOVE IT and think it's an improvement in every imaginable way over the 350Z.
Agree 100%! Well said. What I find odd is that so many people outside of the forum, including professional automotive journalist, professional race car drivers, etc. think the 370Z is a big improvement over the 350Z, even visually. One example out of many posted below. And I am sure you guys who hate the looks of the new Z can not deny you have read many good things about it and its looks.

"Nice of you to notice. Check out those swollen rear arches and pinched waist. The current 350Z never looked quite right – the rear end was a mess and the flanks lacked definition – but the 370Z answers almost every aesthetic criticism while still retaining the distinctive look of the Zed we’ve loved since 2003."

Do the ones who think the new Z is such a failure think the majority of people are crazy? I have not read ONE single article that did NOT say the 370Z looks better than the 350Z. The vast majority say it looks great. Like you, I don't think Nissan is too concerned about the few negative opinions out there compared to the majority of people who like the car and are potential buyers.

I will add, calling those who "hate" the new Z "crazy" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You are not crazy for having an opinion regardless if that opinion is in the minority.

Last edited by newtkindred; 12-29-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
newtkindred

I have a challenge for you 370Z "haters". Find just one article that says the 370Z is not an improvement over the 350Z. Find it and post the link. Even visually. If the 370Z is so ugly it should be very easy for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 AM
HiHo_Silver350

jesus, let the haters hate it and the likers like it. who cares. it's pointless to argue about it and try to prove to the world that the 370z is a better car. i'm undecided. it's like looking at a girl... some angles i like... some angles i don't. but for some reason when i'm drinking the 370z always looks good
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Rexy7

Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78

well said.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 AM
scrapser

The last few posts since my last post make a good point that we are all expressing our own perspective...and that's what it's all about.

I'm certain that once available, the car will sell (not "sale"...no offense Wukillabeez). Magazines will certainly continue to pour praise upon the car and only publish a negative review if sales do not meet Nissan's goals and the word gets out about it. Time will tell.

Newkindred, the quote you included from the professional automotive journalist review is misleading. If you read his article again, you will see at one point he makes the statement you included but then later in the same review completely contradicts himself. It's actually kind of funny but demonstrates mine and many others point about how the car looks good or bad depending on the angle of view.

And I agree 100% there are those who love the car without question...more power to them. Yes, the car "fails" in my eyes and that's my perspective. The only thing I can say with certainty about the reception of the 370 right now is there are many, many people expressing a similar view that they can't quite decide if they like the new look or not. This is not the same as those who are late adopters and resist change. Will that manifest itself on the broader market? We will probably never know because only a small percentage participate on boards such as this one but it would be interesting if a poll could be had.

I love the 350's look and wanted the 370 to simply exaggerate an already aggessive looking stance but Nissan had other plans. That's my disappointment. But fortunately as Shadrackc states, the improvements the 370 offers in terms of power and weigh are not so much as to make me want to replace my car. I will wait for what comes next.

Quick Reply: For all those that (really do) hate the 370z....