Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

First potential problem on the 370z

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 PM
TomatoEvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1910
These are common items found on many track prepped vehicles....
These are common on RACECARS, with the exception of oil coolers. There is a big difference between tracking and wheel to wheel racing.

You should be able to track most cars without these issues. Heck I've seen stock SUV's (BMW X5 and Porsche Cayanne Turbo) go round after round on the track at 10/10th's without a problem.

I've tracked all my cars without needing these upgrades.

Last edited by TomatoEvo; 12-17-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 AM
zman1910

Originally Posted by TomatoEvo
These are common on RACECARS, with the exception of oil coolers.

I've tracked all my cars without needing these upgrades.
Agreed. Most of the people I know, that track frequently, have oil coolers installed just as a precaution.

Keep in mind that the G37 also has nearly 400 pounds more to push...so it's doing more work in the end. The thought of seeing G37's on the track boggles me...they just seem to much on the luxury end now as opposed to the G35 coupes.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
dnguyent

About .01% of the people who buy the Z (or any sportscar for that matter) will drive their car hard enough for high temperatures to be an issue. That is why showroom stock cars will not have these oil coolers installed because it is money wasted.

Magazine journalists will inevitably drive the crap out of any car, and Nissan was smart to install the Nismo oil cooler and diff cooler in their test mule, but there is no reason to install $800+ in extra high performance parts that 99.99% of the population does not need.

I installed an oil cooler in my 350z because I track it regularly. If I didn't track it, there's no way in hell would I would waste my money and time on the upgrade.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:21 AM
jibSTir13

i agree that most of the cars will not be subjected to track use...

the chances these cars will overheat is probably slim to none...

as a business it would be an unnecessary cost...

it would be great if the three coolers are part of some sort of package or as
stand-alone options.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Carlitos_G37

Originally Posted by UCIgrad
I understand the need to save money, but how much money did they save? Not much. The amount of money to install the correct parts is minimal compared with having to replace those vital parts. I know most don't track their cars. But long term effects of over heated parts will still be observed.

Only time will tell. One thing is for sure, as a sports car enthusiast and non-track driver, it bugs me. Everytime I would go spirited driving in hot weather I would have the damn oil temp in the back of my mind like a cloud hanging over me.

As much as this originally pissed me off reading about it, I've begun to calm down because it might be over nothing. The beefed up cooling systems that were installed for demo use were probably just a precaution so that the 370 would receive any bad press. I'm sure the factory components will be fine. The reports of the G37 going into "safe mode" or whatever kind of scares me though.
I really don't think there will be any long term effects. That's what the limp mode is designed for. To prevent damage due to high oil temps. It's similar to a rev limiter. It keeps the engine from over revving to prevent damage (with the exception of mechanical over rev).

'Los
Old 12-24-2008, 07:19 AM
UCIgrad

Originally Posted by Carlitos_G37
I really don't think there will be any long term effects. That's what the limp mode is designed for. To prevent damage due to high oil temps. It's similar to a rev limiter. It keeps the engine from over revving to prevent damage (with the exception of mechanical over rev).

'Los
Yeah, you're probably right. But it'll suck when the Cayman blows by you when your Z is stuck in limp mode.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aren't the new oil and diff oil coolers fairly cheap from Nismo?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by UCIgrad
Yeah, you're probably right. But it'll suck when the Cayman blows by you when your Z is stuck in limp mode.
The Cayman (and Cayman S) is plagued with overheating powersteering pumps. Again, this happens only on the track, and Porsche most likely won't redesign it. 99.99% of Cayman owners won't even notice that their powersteering pumps are prone to overheating. So, perhaps the Cayman will blow by you because somehow both of you are flogging your cars, but he'll go off the cliff at the next turn when his powersteering goes out.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:52 AM
zman600

this is why i (or you) should never buy the first line of a new generation. thers always small problems.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zman600
this is why i (or you) should never buy the first line of a new generation. thers always small problems.
I totally agree with you. I don't think I could buy a new car that has yet to be produced. Seems there are problems with them more then the "newer" models.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
undefeated350gt

Thats why i stay away from buying the first a new car in the first year of production, i have seen many cars that came out and had recalls and other issues that were "fixed" in later models.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my HR hits 212 just by sitting in traffic.... oil cooler is a must !!!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by Tac-M
my HR hits 212 just by sitting in traffic.... oil cooler is a must !!!
I don't think 212 is all that bad for sitting in traffic. 180F is the minimum recommended operating temperature, and since you're not moving, and don't have any airflow to cool the engine, 212 seems fine. An aux air-to-oil cooler won't help that much if you're sitting in traffic anyway. Once you get moving, you'll see oil temps drop.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Datona Jess

212 is alot fo a six cylinder.
My 540 ci Camaro doesn't even get that hot sitting in traffic....

I will say my G37 has never overheated, and I have tracked it twice VERY hard, and really do drive the hell out of it. I can see Nissan giving the base models none of these options. 95% of the drivers will never push a base 370Z to the limits and those that do they offer the Nismo oil and diff coolers for that reason.

You are asking an auto manufacturer to spend money on something that will never be utilized by most of its buyers, that is a waste of money...
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 PM
fpenna2

Default Oil cooler and Diff Cooler

Originally Posted by jibSTir13
i agree that most of the cars will not be subjected to track use...

the chances these cars will overheat is probably slim to none...

as a business it would be an unnecessary cost...

it would be great if the three coolers are part of some sort of package or as
stand-alone options.
+ 1! I really want to know if they gone sell oil cooler and diff oil cooler as an option package or each one as a part?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM
DustinG37

GTM motorsports in California now has transmission and oil coolers for the G37...I'm sure they will have them for the 370z too. The are in the City of Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
sandthepilot

Originally Posted by Polo08816
Nissan never gets 1st or 2nd year cars correctly. Just look at the 03, 04, 06 Zs and the GTR's transmission.
My 03 is doing just fine thank you very much

Actually No Automaker gets 1st or 2nd year cars correctly
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
212 is alot fo a six cylinder.
My 540 ci Camaro doesn't even get that hot sitting in traffic....
Wth? 8.85 liters?

Sitting in traffic forever <> ten minutes of hot laps.

Z's also had a long rep for cooking the diff fluid, plenty of people report sludge the first time they get it changed, then get religious about it. If you track a car, you use fluids like Motul in the trans/diff/clutch, you run pads that can stand up to track use, etc. That's just common sense.

Even my HEMI in my truck has an oil cooler, trans cooler, PS fluid cooler, it was just part of the towing option package - again common sense, and I sure as hell don't track a quad cab 1500 RAM

I don't see the big deal -first. it's not that hot (maybe people confuse coolant with oil temps?) and limp mode allowing almost 6000 rpm tells you they're just covering their warranty. Second, just order the NISMO coolers or AM if they're as good or better, or save you money.