Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

First potential problem on the 370z

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
JCSVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes will routinely hit high 200's on hot trackdays. The high oil temp warning doesn't come on until 300F. The oil can handle it. I wouldn't call 270F a huge problem. Just something to watch.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:22 AM
sirploppy

Originally Posted by da mayor
not everyone is going to drive the Z or G37 on a track to cause this overheating.... I never saw it and I've had the G37 for a year
Why would I want a "sports" car that I have to always worry about not pushing to hard for fear of overheating? What if I lived in Pheonix and wanted to go for a spirited drive while it was 110 ambient out? For poeple who just want to cruise around and look good in their 370s, there should be no worries. If people want to use it as the performance car it was designed to be, why should they be told not to? A proper cooling system in full working order should be able to handle driving agressively in a high performance sports car.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 AM
sirploppy

Originally Posted by JCSVT
Corvettes will routinely hit high 200's on hot trackdays. The high oil temp warning doesn't come on until 300F. The oil can handle it. I wouldn't call 270F a huge problem. Just something to watch.
I wonder at what oil temp the 370z "engine protection mode" comes on?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Liquid

Originally Posted by sirploppy
I wonder at what oil temp the 370z "engine protection mode" comes on?
Doesn't the first post say?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:45 PM
DustinG37

I have tracked my G37 in California in hot and cool weather. I only ran into the limp mode problem once in Fontana, CA on a very hot day. And this was at the very last five minutes of a 30 minute session. There are a few other people that have tracked the G37 and had the same problem. On MyG37 there is a few threads about it. Search "limp mode."

I hardly ever see G's and Z's at the track so it won't effect most people. The limp mode doesn't happen with spirited driving. It comes on after a pretty serious beating in hot weather.

The good news is that Stillen is working on an oil cooler.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM
RBA-350Z

I fully realize that the “Z” is, by most people’s standards, a “high-performance sports car”; capable of holding its own against many other “sports/high-performance” vehicles on the road today and it certainly is marketed that way. However, Nissan doesn’t market it as a race/track-ready vehicle.

It is a mass-produced, street-legal vehicle and is NOT a track/race prepared or race ready vehicle.

For anyone who is going to take their 370Z (or any other”Z” or any other car for that matter) to the track on anything more than an occasional outing, you really need to consider your equipment and things you might need to add/upgrade (oil coolers, transmission fluid coolers, brakes, wheels, tires, etc, etc.).

Even “normal” use in temperature extremes are often going to be outside the operating parameters of most vehicles…all of us should keep such things in mind.

Now, I do hope that if this is a real problem, that Nissan steps up and offers some “factory/original equipment” solution (either as standard equipment or as an option).
Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM
UCIgrad

Note to self:

- Add oil cooler to list of stuff needed to make 370Z normal.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Liquid

Originally Posted by UCIgrad
Note to self:

- Add oil cooler to list of stuff needed to make 370Z normal.
I'm guessing that it will be added by Nissan eventually.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Nissan never gets 1st or 2nd year cars correctly. Just look at the 03, 04, 06 Zs and the GTR's transmission.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
dje7878

so does the 350Z or G35 suffer from high oil temps in stock form on track?

i don't see this as a big deal if you track your car. one would need to look out for and expect overheating issues to come up.
now if it started going into limp mode just from regular street driving then nissan would have a problem.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
xNeo

Fyi, google has a built in calculator that does simple calculations like that.

You can type in "135 celsius to Fahrenheit" and it'll give you the answer, which is "135 degrees Celsius = 275 degrees Fahrenheit"... I know this has already been stated, but figured I'd help out.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Mark slidesquad

I'm betting once the Nismo 370Z comes out it will be coming with an oil cooler!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Hypnoz

Do you guys remember that article that states the test car the mag was testing was fitted with nismo oil cooler parts?? That means Nissan knows about the problem and knows that they will overheat when tested hard. How disappointing.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM
mthreat

Originally Posted by RBA-350Z
I fully realize that the “Z” is, by most people’s standards, a “high-performance sports car”; capable of holding its own against many other “sports/high-performance” vehicles on the road today and it certainly is marketed that way. However, Nissan doesn’t market it as a race/track-ready vehicle.

It is a mass-produced, street-legal vehicle and is NOT a track/race prepared or race ready vehicle.
But if they're going to market the 370Z against the Porsche Cayman S, I think it should be able to handle a track run of up to 30 minutes without overheating (assuming the Cayman S can do this, and I think it can).

I had to add a 54mm Koyo radiator and an oil cooler to my 350Z to avoid overheating at the track (btw I'm N/A, not turbo), and I wouldn't be surprised if I had to do the same to a 370Z. On the other hand, I'll probably save $4k on a BBK since the 370Z's brakes just may be up to the task.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

Even though this is a problem but the solution is already here. It's just a matter of time we see the the authorized dealers carrying them.

Zele:
They are in the process of engineering the following products (to solve this issue) in the next few weeks.

# Zele Rear Diff. Oil Cooler
# Zele Engine Oil Cooler

MCR:
I'll let MCR tell you what they are onto
Originally Posted by MCR
During hard driving, MCR has noted that the engine oil temp climbs rapidly. If it reaches 135°C the ECU lowers the rev limit to 5900 rpm temporarily. To combat this MCR worked with long time partner ARC to come up with an engine oil cooler. A rear differential oil cooler kit is also planned.
Mines:

During their test drive in the Fuji speedway, they had their own oil cooler equipped in the Z34. I can absolutely see this available to us via US Mines Dealers.

This is only Japan. In the US, STILLEN is working hard to come up with a solution for this problem as well. Just hang tight folks, solution is right around the corner.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
TomatoEvo

Just found a second source that confirms that the test cars are equipped with non-standard cooling systems. This blurb is about the 370z that nissan is providing reviewers with for testing.

I'm even more disturbed about this one because it makes mention of a transmission cooler which wasn't disclosed in the other reviews.

"[Nissan provided a flight, hotel accommodations, meals, vehicles, gas and insurance. Note: Vehicles tested were pre-production models fitted with oil coolers, transmission coolers and differential coolers for repeated track use]"

Source: Disclosure in thetruthaboutcars.com review

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...9-nissan-270z/

Last edited by TomatoEvo; 12-17-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
UCIgrad

It really doesn't matter if aftermarket coolers will solve the problem or not. The problem is that the issue isn't resolved before it leaves teh factory! Seriously, how much money does it add to the car? Why risk the longevity and health of vital components?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by UCIgrad
The problem is that the issue isn't resolved before it leaves teh factory!
I agree with what you are trying to say but it's not really an issue. 95% of the people who buy this car will never see a track. Those 5% that do track their car regularly will be smart enough to know what needs to be done in order to have a track ready vehicle.

Call me crazy but I think Nissan would rather save every dollar they can while meeting the vast majority of their customers needs....pretty much like every other business...

Last edited by zman1910; 12-17-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by TomatoEvo

oil coolers, transmission coolers and differential coolers for repeated track use]"
These are common items found on many track prepped vehicles....
Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM
UCIgrad

Originally Posted by zman1910
Call me crazy but I think Nissan would rather save every dollar they can while meeting the vast majority of their customers needs....pretty much like every other business...
I understand the need to save money, but how much money did they save? Not much. The amount of money to install the correct parts is minimal compared with having to replace those vital parts. I know most don't track their cars. But long term effects of over heated parts will still be observed.

Only time will tell. One thing is for sure, as a sports car enthusiast and non-track driver, it bugs me. Everytime I would go spirited driving in hot weather I would have the damn oil temp in the back of my mind like a cloud hanging over me.

As much as this originally pissed me off reading about it, I've begun to calm down because it might be over nothing. The beefed up cooling systems that were installed for demo use were probably just a precaution so that the 370 would receive any bad press. I'm sure the factory components will be fine. The reports of the G37 going into "safe mode" or whatever kind of scares me though.

Quick Reply: First potential problem on the 370z