Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

350z VS. 370z (photo comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
kihun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
I don't like it... Without the headlights and fangs the 370Z looks too happy and unaggressive, like the 350Z. The car in the picture above looks like a dog that pissed in his owner's home and is trying to appease him, ears back, mouth gaping open... If I'd never seen the 370Z and they released this version above I'd like it (it's the same car minus a couple of details) but having seen what Nissan actually released your chop looks terrible compared to it. I like the direction Nissan/Infiniti is going with their cars. Nissan has really become a trendsetter as far as the designs of some of their vehicles and everything flows really well on the 370Z. And like someone else said, this 350Z site isn't representative of how the majority of people feel about the Z. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive and this is the only Nissan car site that has people saying negative things about the car (not a coincidence by the way since this is a 350Z forum)...
hit the spot bro!!!!!!! i like it with the bang.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Wukillabeez78

Originally Posted by Spork

When did I ever title myself as a "designer"?

I play around with photoshop. Big deal.
Why don't you b*tch about the chop even more? I might even throw up another for you.

Instead of criticizing my chop to no end and b*tching about it like a woman... throw up one of your own and show everyone what would make it "beautiful" in your eyes.
There's no reason for anybody to photoshop the 370Z. It looks great stock and that's why Nissan released it. Just in case you or anybody else was in the dark and not aware, Nissan (and most car manufacturers) have focus groups that give feedback on the vehicles they design. Nissan shows the focus groups pictures and sometimes even scale replicas of the new vehicle (made out plastic/clay, etc...) throughout the design process from preproduction drawings all the way up to the final rendering. The makeup of these focus groups runs the gamut from loyal Nissan customers to the average Joe off the street who doesn't know anything about cars. They pull old people, young people and get input on their designs from every demographic so they can better identify their target group and any other potential group they can market the car to (for example the Infiniti EX crossover tested very well with females, specifically wealthy women over the age of 30). With all that said guess what? The response to the 370Z was overwhelmingly positive, if Nissan had gotten a lot of negative feedback about any specific aspect of the car they would have changed it (wish they'd let the focus groups see the interior then maybe we wouldn't have that lame metal looking fuel level and temperature gauge to deal with). These focus groups really have quite a bit of impact though. The latest edition of the Sentra that is out was late in being released by over a year because of complaints from the focus groups about the way it looked ( http://www.tirekick.com/TK06-May/07Sentra.htm ) It still doesn't look good to me but they delayed it's launch and revamped the exterior because of bad feedback.

I can understand people saying they don't like little things about the 370Z (like the headlights, fangs, etc...). There are similar things people don't like about the 350Z also (and any other car for that matter). But you have to realize that overall you're in the minority, more people like the car and thinks it works than don't. Kind of like Barack Obama being elected, you might not have voted for him and think he's a loser but in the end you're in the minority...

Last edited by Wukillabeez78; 02-01-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no reason for anybody to photoshop the 370Z. It looks great stock and that's why Nissan released it. Just in case you or anybody else was in the dark and not aware, Nissan (and most car manufacturers) have focus groups that give feedback on the vehicles they design. Nissan shows the focus groups pictures and sometimes even scale replicas of the new vehicle (made out plastic/clay, etc...) throughout the design process from preproduction drawings all the way up to the final rendering. The makeup of these focus groups runs the gamut from loyal Nissan customers to the average Joe off the street who doesn't know anything about cars. They pull old people, young people and get input on their designs from every demographic so they can better identify their target group and any other potential group they can market the car to (for example the Infiniti EX crossover tested very well with females, specifically wealthy women over the age of 30). With all that said guess what? The response to the 370Z was overwhelmingly positive, if Nissan had gotten a lot of negative feedback about any specific aspect of the car they would have changed it (wish they'd let the focus groups see the interior then maybe we wouldn't have that lame metal looking fuel level and temperature gauge to deal with). These focus groups really have quite a bit of impact though. The latest edition of the Sentra that is out was late in being released by over a year because of complaints from the focus groups about the way it looked ( http://www.tirekick.com/TK06-May/07Sentra.htm ) It still doesn't look good to me but they delayed it's launch and revamped the exterior because of bad feedback.

I can understand people saying they don't like little things about the 370Z (like the headlights, fangs, etc...). There are similar things people don't like about the 350Z also (and any other car for that matter). But you have to realize that overall you're in the minority, more people like the car and thinks it works than don't. Kind of like Barack Obama being elected, you might not have voted for him and think he's a loser but in the end you're in the minority...
Orly?? I had no idea automobile manufacturers use focus groups.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Wukillabeez78

Orly?? I had no idea automobile manufacturers use focus groups.
Of course car manufacturers use focus groups, any company that sales a product that takes as much time, energy, research, marketing, advertising and $$$ as designing an automobile or something similar utilize them. It takes years to bring a car from concept, to preproduction to production and focus groups play an important role in the process. Their feedback is key in determining the success of many products you see on the market.

Many people on other car sites I frequent know this, not sure about this site but I'd guess many don't based on some of the comments I've read (some of the most active posters on this site seem to be very "young" not necessarily chronologically but mentally with the abundance of FAIL, or OWNED posts, etc...). Anyway, when the 3rd generation Altima came out there were a few people on Altimas.net (now nissanclub.com) that identified themselves as focus group members and gave us tidbits and info about the car that was 100% accurate long before it came out.

Last edited by Wukillabeez78; 02-01-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Spork

Many people on other car sites I frequent know this, not sure about this site but I'd guess many don't based on some of the comments I've read (some of the most active posters on this site seem to be very "young" not necessarily chronologically but mentally with the abundance of FAIL, or OWNED posts, etc...). Anyway, when the 3rd generation Altima came out there were a few people on Altimas.net (now nissanclub.com) that identified themselves as focus group members and gave us tidbits and info about the car that was 100% accurate long before it came out.
Well, you know... there's these things called opinions. Many people have these. Perhaps everyone is sharing their opinions rather than jumping on the "Yeah! It looks so tight and new and stylish!" bandwagon?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
YuraBecker

As a none 350z owner (I come here because this forum is much more live forum the Cadillac CTS forum that I am at), I am completely unbiased.
The 370z can clearly be seen as the new car, the stock 350z looks old and tired compared the 370z.
I have been following the multiple threads that people have started about how the 370z is ugly, and I think it's pretty funny that people would go thought the trouble to start a thread about how the 370z is ugly without thinking even thinking for one sec that they look completely jealous.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
dcmaxclub

There's no reason for anybody to photoshop the 370Z. It looks great stock and that's why Nissan released it. ...

Just because Nissan used a focus group doesn't mean 'there is no reason to photochop the 370z." It is likely that every major manufacturer uses focus groups? By your reasoning EVERY car that is released (having gone through a focus group) would look great to the majority of people. The Pontiac Aztek, for instance (voted the ugliest car ever in quite a few surveys), would say just the opposite.

You also have to consider that car manufacturers have other considerations besides what looks the absolute best. They have to consider cost, fuel efficiency, aerodynamics, safety regulations, etc.

A front lip on the 370Z may make it look better, but at the same time may make the front too low for mass marketing, or hurt aerodynamic goals. Adding bigger wheels or removing that ugly rear foglight square may increase the cost beyond the threshold Nissan has set for each vehicle. There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to photoshop any new car.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 AM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by dcmaxclub
Just because Nissan used a focus group doesn't mean 'there is no reason to photochop the 370z." It is likely that every major manufacturer uses focus groups? By your reasoning EVERY car that is released (having gone through a focus group) would look great to the majority of people. The Pontiac Aztek, for instance (voted the ugliest car ever in quite a few surveys), would say just the opposite.

You also have to consider that car manufacturers have other considerations besides what looks the absolute best. They have to consider cost, fuel efficiency, aerodynamics, safety regulations, etc.

A front lip on the 370Z may make it look better, but at the same time may make the front too low for mass marketing, or hurt aerodynamic goals. Adding bigger wheels or removing that ugly rear foglight square may increase the cost beyond the threshold Nissan has set for each vehicle. There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to photoshop any new car.
Yes, some ugly cars have made into production but if we focus on the 370Z I guess I would put it like this. The design of the 370Z probably is appealing to the majority. If you took a survey and graphed the responses you would probably find that those who said they "liked" the design would be near the center of the bell curve (the majority), those who "hated" it would be outliers or the edge of the curve (minority), and those who "loved" it between the middle of the bell curve and the edge of the curve. Now, I would believe if you took a survey of the photoshop attempts on this forum (which I do appreciate), the majority of them would be outliers towards the "don't like so much" edge. Some would be towards the center where people "liked" it and very few towards the other end where they "loved" it. I do not know if that makes any sense.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 AM
highflyinkilla

(for example the Infiniti EX crossover tested very well with females, specifically wealthy women over the age of 30).
meaning women who married wealthy husbands so they can drive around in expensive cars and live in nice homes.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM
highflyinkilla

Originally Posted by YuraBecker
As a none 350z owner (I come here because this forum is much more live forum the Cadillac CTS forum that I am at), I am completely unbiased.
The 370z can clearly be seen as the new car, the stock 350z looks old and tired compared the 370z.
I have been following the multiple threads that people have started about how the 370z is ugly, and I think it's pretty funny that people would go thought the trouble to start a thread about how the 370z is ugly without thinking even thinking for one sec that they look completely jealous.
I find it funny how the people that that need to own all the new stuff that comes out think your jealous of them if you dont like what they buy. I don't give a rats *** about owning the newest model to make people think I'm some pretentious jackass. You sound worse those snobby Beamer owners.

Last edited by highflyinkilla; 02-02-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
nd8333

its interesting. the 350 looks so old now
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
lgerow

Originally Posted by highflyinkilla
I find it funny how the people that that need to own all the new stuff that comes out think your jealous of them if you dont like what they buy. I don't give a rats *** about owning the newest model to make people think I'm some pretentious jackass. You sound worse those snobby Beamer owners.
Haha, my grandma hates anyone in a bmw because she thinks they all drive like they own the road and they paid so much for the car that they can't afford turn signal fluid.

The 370z is growing on me every day. Check out the edmund's videos if you haven't already!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Spork

Hey.. Hey.....

A focus group was used. LEAVE THE 370Z ALONE!!!

Like I said in another thread... the 370Z can easily be saved. Thanks to JDMZ33 posting photos from the Tokyo Auto Salon...

Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Wukillabeez78

How do you get from what I posted that every car that is released would look great to the majority of people??? Focus groups are used on cars that are mainstream high volume sellers (accord, camry, altima, ford f150 etc...) and also on cars that occupy a niche in the market (corvette, mustang, NISSAN Z). The one thing all these cars have in common is that they are established nameplates that get updated every few years or so. These are the kind of vehicles focus groups are used for.

It's pretty rare for an auto company to use a focus group on a car that is a completely new model (the Pontiac Aztec you mention falls into this category), or one that is being brought back after a long hiatus (one exception incidently was the 350Z). Most automakers typically only scrutinize vehicles like these internally (within the company) and don't use focus groups because there isn't an established sales record that shows exactly who will be interested in a completely new vehicle. The 350Z was a revival of a car that occupied a very specific niche so Nissan already knew exactly what kind of consumers they were targeting since their recipe didn't change (affordable, two door sport coupe). Nissan utilized focus groups during the 350Z's design and production process not so much for feedback but to drum up excitement for the revived car.

Car companies do have to focus on different things for different cars. If you're building a Z or corvette you have to focus on performance and looks more than storage space relative to a honda civic which focuses on fuel economy and appeal to the masses much more than aesthetics.

And for spork, of course everybody here has an opinion and I don't think there is anything wrong with people voicing it. The problem is too many people on this site voice their opinion as if it's fact. There's a big difference between saying "I don't like the 370Z because of the headlights, fangs, etc..." (no problem with posting stuff like this, that's what the forum is for) compared to people saying "the failure that is the 370Z". I hate the new Accord sedan for many reasons but I'd never say it was a failure because I realize my personal opinion can't deem it as such so it's a foolish comment to make. Would I label the 350Z as a failure and start posting negative comments about it just because I don't like certain things about it (happy face, conspicuous antenna, etc...) or like it as much as the 300ZX or 370Z? Of course not, it would be childish to do so but we seem to have a lot of childish people up here who post things like this... Not a big deal to me though, I know there are other knowledgeable people up here and we enjoy the humor from reading some of these misguided posts. Besides, the mod's at this site don't seem to worry about it so I expect it at this site unlike my expectations at other sites...

Last edited by Wukillabeez78; 02-02-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Spork

And for spork, of course everybody here has an opinion and I don't think there is anything wrong with people voicing it. The problem is too many people on this site voice their opinion as if it's fact. There's a big difference between saying "I don't like the 370Z because of the headlights, fangs, etc..." (no problem with posting stuff like this, that's what the forum is for) compared to people saying "the failure that is the 370Z".
To be honest... that's just an opinion as well.

Photoshops, comments, everything is an opinion.

If they constantly tried to shove a view down peoples' throats... that's still an opinion.

FACTS will surface once the 370Z has been out for a while and people can share the actual problems. (ie. overheating)
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
dmus

Hey.. Hey.....

A focus group was used. LEAVE THE 370Z ALONE!!!

Like I said in another thread... the 370Z can easily be saved. Thanks to JDMZ33 posting photos from the Tokyo Auto Salon...

- ok now we're talking! sick...as i said am in between loving or hating the 370...so not sure why people getting offended here lol. they are all Z's bro..and i see someone owning a cadillac cts saying that people who dont like the 370z are jealous just because the dont like the design of it????? ok comeon now bro.....now that just sounds dumb. i guess there are people who NEED to have the newest of everything, but there alot if not a majority of people who just appreciate a good car. and what one defines as a good car simply is their opinion (performance, looks, cost factor, heritage to name a few) different strokes different folks but because somone does not instantly like the direction nissan went then how does that transcend to jealousy then id love to know.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
TX-350Z-TX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nd8333
its interesting. the 350 looks so old now

ouch!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
dmus

Originally Posted by newtkindred
Sometimes I think this forum exists in a "350Z" vacuum and it refuses to live in the "real" universe where the 350Z isn't actually considered a "beautiful" car, albeit a nice one, and that most people think the 370Z is a big improvement.
bro, u taking this a lil personal? lol. I dont think u are but kinda sounds like it..but yea i live in the "real" universe. Are the ones who live in the "vacuum" people who have a different viewpoint regarding the 370 than you? just curious...cuz not everyone thinks the 350 is the godess of all cars, some just think the 370 is a lil out there...i love my car and thinks it's sexy and reasonably priced along with the perfomance. I just dont get nissans approach on the 370 and neither do any peeps that I'VE encountered from what I have gathered OUTSIDE this forum in the "real" world. Again its all Zzzzzzz baby
Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by dmus
bro, u taking this a lil personal? lol. I dont think u are but kinda sounds like it..but yea i live in the "real" universe. Are the ones who live in the "vacuum" people who have a different viewpoint regarding the 370 than you? just curious...cuz not everyone thinks the 350 is the godess of all cars, some just think the 370 is a lil out there...i love my car and thinks it's sexy and reasonably priced along with the perfomance. I just dont get nissans approach on the 370 and neither do any peeps that I'VE encountered from what I have gathered OUTSIDE this forum in the "real" world. Again its all Zzzzzzz baby
Nope, not taking anything personal. They're just cars. Now if I were the actual designer of the 370Z, perhaps. I actually like both cars, hell, I like all Z's. But the 370Z I like much more than the 350Z. Just seems this forum seems very biased towards the 350Z and it's views do not represent the general public. Seems obvious.

Last edited by newtkindred; 02-02-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
dcmaxclub

How do you get from what I posted that every car that is released would look great to the majority of people???....
Actually, I meant "EVERY car (having gone through a focus group)..." as in every car that has gone through a focus group, rather than every car goes through a focus group. My wording wasn't very clear.

But the real point has less to do with which model goes through a focus group, and the fact that having a focus group does not insure that a vehicle will be so perfect that it could not stand some improvement (via photoshop etc.).

I was not a member of the focus group for the Z. However, I am familiar with aspects of the process from other focus groups. In those instances people were asked to select from given choices for certain items. For instance, 4 sets of wheels may be given and the group would select which one looks 'best.' This does not mean there was never a better option than those four to begin with. It does not mean that any of the wheels look great. The participants were simply asked which is the best of those choices. Often, the option 'none of the above' (ie all four wheel choices are hideous) is not even offered.

If I am wrong about the Z focus groups then cool (as I said I don't have knowledge of that particular group). I do appreciate your info on when focus groups are used. However, I still don't think your statement, that the 370Z is basically perfect as is, holds water. There is always room for improvement, especially on a budget car.

Last edited by dcmaxclub; 02-02-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 350z VS. 370z (photo comparison)