MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2009+ 370Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z-504/)
-   -   370z has overheating issues on road courses (https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/414330-370z-has-overheating-issues-on-road-courses.html)

SOLO-350Z 02-02-2009 05:42 AM

370z has overheating issues on road courses

http://www. t h e 3 7 0 z .com/track-autocross-drifting-dragstrip/1706-first-track-experience-today-some-good-some-really-bad.html

Bummer. Wonder what they changed from the HR to that engine that is causing all that heat. I let mine sit for long periods near redline on the road courses and I have seen my temp go over half on a 100 degree day but never a issue.

Get rid of the spaces above in the link to see it.

bryan@Z1 02-02-2009 05:53 AM

There was some chatter about this early on from Japan track testing. The oil temps were going 270+. An oil cooler is going to be required for track use and an upgraded radiator looks like it will be too.

SOLO-350Z 02-02-2009 05:54 AM

Sadly it looks this way. After digging deeper it seems this is what is happening.
-------

Apparently Stillen is working on one for the VQ37 thanks to the G37 guys. Should probably work for the 370Z too I assume?

"TORQUE CUT CONTROL (AT HIGH ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE)
ECM receives engine oil temperature signal from engine oil temperature sensor.
To avoid VVEL performance, ECM performs the engine torque cut control at high engine oil temperature.
If engine oil temperature is too high, engine oil viscosity will change. As a result, engine oil pressure is
decreased. This control is to control the VVEL operating angle by operating the VVEL actuator sub assembly.
If this control is operated, engine performance will decrease, then maximum engine speed is reduced a little,
for example.
NOTE:
If the engine oil temperature sensor is deteriorated, its characteristic will change.
In this case, the operating temperature for engine torque cut control might be decrease.
Perform Component Inspection of the engine oil temperature sensor to check for the deterioration.
Refer to EC-248, "Component Inspection". "

bryan@Z1 02-02-2009 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z (Post 6896486)
Sadly it looks this way. After digging deeper it seems this is what is happening.
-------

Apparently Stillen is working on one for the VQ37 thanks to the G37 guys. Should probably work for the 370Z too I assume?

"TORQUE CUT CONTROL (AT HIGH ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE)
ECM receives engine oil temperature signal from engine oil temperature sensor.
To avoid VVEL performance, ECM performs the engine torque cut control at high engine oil temperature.
If engine oil temperature is too high, engine oil viscosity will change. As a result, engine oil pressure is
decreased. This control is to control the VVEL operating angle by operating the VVEL actuator sub assembly.
If this control is operated, engine performance will decrease, then maximum engine speed is reduced a little,
for example.
NOTE:
If the engine oil temperature sensor is deteriorated, its characteristic will change.
In this case, the operating temperature for engine torque cut control might be decrease.
Perform Component Inspection of the engine oil temperature sensor to check for the deterioration.
Refer to EC-248, "Component Inspection". "

We're working on a cooler package as well using our 370 for fitting. What I am trying to do is develop a single cooler kit and an RX7 style dual cooler kit as well.

jmark 02-02-2009 06:32 AM

Sad the factory allows this to be sold this way IMHO. How many motors will be lost tracking the car? Bad publicity for a sports car.

bryan@Z1 02-02-2009 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by jmark (Post 6896599)
Sad the factory allows this to be sold this way IMHO. How many motors will be lost tracking the car? Bad publicity for a sports car.

One of those first model year issues that slips through the cracks. It is unfortunate, especially since the issue was raised in Japan months ago.

Scipher21 02-02-2009 06:45 AM

They rushed the production too fast.

oh well

tware 02-02-2009 08:25 AM

Wow, with any spirited/harsh driving, I guess synthetic is going to be a must. I wonder if we'll see varnishing? Oil temp issues of only a few degrees wreaked havoc on Toy/Lex motors. Track peeps will probably keep a much closer eye on this condition than say someone daily driving, which can be pretty harsh at times

in.the.dark 02-02-2009 08:31 AM

This doesn't concern me even a little. As anyone that tracks their 370Z will surely have to do what it takes to make a road-worthy car track-worthy. It doesn't make the 370Z any less of a car in the use it was intended for. Also, this is just one way to keep the cost down. Likely they [Nissan] asked themselves if it was needed for street operation. The answer is obviously no. It's not like it overheats on the highway or while idling at a long stoplight. The car wasn't rushed, and the sky isn't falling ontop of the 370. Sheesh.

tware 02-02-2009 08:35 AM

you hope...

2fast4comfort 02-02-2009 08:42 AM

heat kills everything

and you expect to be able to do a track day or 2 without killing your car, especially when it is a sports car designed for the corners and not the straights

S8ER95Z 02-02-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2fast4comfort (Post 6897250)
heat kills everything

and you expect to be able to do a track day or 2 without killing your car, especially when it is a sports car designed for the corners and not the straights

x2... I don't see any other sports cars out there that can't handle a track event in stock form. Normally the only thing people worry about is their brakes and tires. :dunno:

supergoji 02-02-2009 10:18 AM

this is gonna be a pain in theeeee assssssssssss on turbo cars.
RX7 oil coolers are gonna be a must

bryan@Z1 02-02-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by supergoji (Post 6897743)

This is what I'm thinking. A single cooler set up for NA cars and a dual cooler for TT cars. Trying to use one large cooler may not work as well due to front mount on a TT car, so having one oil cooler on each side could be the answer. Plus it would increase oil system capacity by a quart or more which is a good thing in it's own right.

nlzmo400r 02-02-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by supergoji (Post 6897743)

^ Agreed, oil coolers are almost always a must when road racing anyway. I put an FC oil cooler on my Z within the first month I got it, it was actually my first mod.

Polo08816 02-02-2009 11:49 AM

Nissan has become a laughing stock lately.

Oil overheating issues on the 370z....
Admission of a design flaw in the transmission for the GTR...

Ven 02-02-2009 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by in.the.dark (Post 6897198)
anyone that tracks their 370Z will surely have to do what it takes to make a road-worthy car track-worthy. It doesn't make the 370Z any less of a car in the use it was intended for. Also, this is just one way to keep the cost down. Likely they [Nissan] asked themselves if it was needed for street operation. The answer is obviously no. It's not like it overheats on the highway or while idling at a long stoplight. The car wasn't rushed, and the sky isn't falling ontop of the 370. Sheesh.

Exactly. Not to mention doesn't nissan offer a factory oil cooler on the 370z as an option? I thought this stuff had already been discussed.

After reading the link, the guy admits he doesn't have an oil cooler and is looking to pick up the Nissan/NISMO one...

Tac-M 02-02-2009 12:21 PM

BTW, HR gets very hot as well. oil is @ 210 in normal traffic, and it hit 240 on a "mountain run"

last time i was at a track, i did not have the oil temp gauge, so i don't even wana know how high it get there.....

the only thing that comforts me is that i ran motul 10w40 at the track...

Hella 02-02-2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Polo08816 (Post 6898257)
Nissan has become a laughing stock lately.

Oil overheating issues on the 370z....
Admission of a design flaw in the transmission for the GTR...

overstate things much?

mthreat 02-02-2009 04:00 PM

Here's a direct link to bypass this site's silly url filter:

http://tinyurl.com/dewrqk