Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Test drove E92 M3, Audi S5, and 370Z. Likely trading in 350Z for 370Z.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove E92 M3, Audi S5, and 370Z. Most impressed with 370Z. Likely trading in.

I've been trying to decide between a new car, and not quite sure what I wanted. My 350Z has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I love it, it's great, but the interior has gotten so drab and the absolute lack of refinement has began to drive me mad. First, I drove the E92 M3 DCT, and while I liked it, the interior kept throwing me off. The gauges were bland, as was the center console, and something about it kept feeling cheap to me. I also couldn't help shake the feeling that the numerous 328i and 335i Coupes that passed me during the drive don't exactly help the M3 stand out. Still, the M3 is very quick, especially once those revs build and while I'm not a fan of dual clutch transmissions (they feel soulless and hollow), I do admit they are absolutely incredible in execution.

Next, I test drove an Audi S5 6MT. I loved the V8 rumble, I loved the V8 midrange punch. But I don't love the price and I don't love how common they are. Furthermore, the S5 is underpowered. Yes, it's a nice and quick machine, but it feels heavy and it could definitely use some touching up in the low-end torque department. Fortunately, the supercharged V6 is set to arrive next summer for the S5, but I don't wish to wait that long. That said, there were also certain other qualities about the S5 that bother me...the doors close cheaply. Where as the BMW closes its doors firmly, the Audi's door closes with a bit of a rattle and I've even verified this on my friend's A5 and all the other S5s that come my weekly meets.

So it was down to these two cars for the longest time, and I refused to look at anything else. I didn't want to consider the 370Z for fear of it being just another Nissan and suffering from the same cheapness the 350Z does. But I knew that the interior's been redone and some have said it's Infiniti-like. So I said why not, couldn't hurt.

Well, I made an appointment and went in with low-expectations. I test drove the 370Z today and I loved it. It was marginally slower than the E92 M3, but around town felt livelier because torque is delivered nearly in full below 2500RPM. Huge plus for me. And it simply rips to its redline with the quickness. It felt quicker than my modded 350Z. And it felt quicker than the 6MT Audi S5 I test drove. I drove a 7-speed Auto Z, which is a superb transmission for the car, but I'll definitely be getting a 6MT for mine.

I really liked the interior, the quality of the materials was exceptionally high for a vehicle in this class. The suede on the doors is a superb touch. The steering wheel feels thick and grippy, not like the 350Z wheel. The doors closed great, even when the window was rolled all the way down, there was no window rattle (like 350Zs do). The car I drove didn't even have the navigation, so I can't imagine how much nicer the center console looks when it's completed with navi.

All in all, I am thoroughly impressed, especially by the low-end power of the VQ37HR. I'm very likely going to get one, possibly around Christmas time in hopes of hitting a time period full of dealer incentives. I'm looking at White/Persimmon Leather + Touring + Sports + Navi. Or Black Cherry/Black Leather with those same options.

Once I've nailed my decision, I'll be doing a partout of my car soon.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:23 PM
temoku

I was also very impressed with the 370z interior. I went from a VQ G to an HR Z and while I loved the HR I always felt like the Z just wasn't enough. I think the 370 will be my next car too, though I haven't test drove one yet. Good review, I've been debating an M vs a Z
Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Arnold, glad that you're most likely staying in the Nissan family..........

Last edited by TRYNALIVEPRO; 10-30-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:07 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.

All in all, I am thoroughly impressed, especially by the low-end power of the VQ37HR. I'm very likely going to get one, possibly around Christmas time in hopes of hitting a time period full of dealer incentives. I'm looking at White/Persimmon Leather + Touring + Sports + Navi. Or Black Cherry/Black Leather with those same options.

Once I've nailed my decision, I'll be doing a partout of my car soon.
Would cheerfully welcome you to the 370Z side.

The biggest 370Z surprise for me is comfort and handling. The suspension is comfortable: no jarring feedback from uneven pavement or bumps. I assumed that Nissan tuned down the suspension, and handling would suffer. Wrong. In fact exactly the opposite. For spirited driving steering feedback is excellent. I am also more confident feeling out the rear end and what it is doing.

As I have mentioned before, the 370Z is NOT worlds always from the 350Z, but it is an incremental improvement in comfort and handling.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:11 PM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Arnold K did'nt you feel that the interior space felt wayy smaller than the 350Z? I had a real hard time sitting comfortable in there.. Im 6-2 250lbs and fit perfectly in the 350..
Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 PM
SniperHunter

Wouldn't say cramped. If anything, the sensation exists only because the seats are better bolstered, thicker, and do a better job of wrapping you.

David: Right. They took the things wrong with the 350Z and addressed them very well. I still think there are some questionable aesthetic choices, but all in all...the car is the perfect balance between the others I was looking at, not to mention at a much better price.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

good choice man, good luck with the purchase.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I knew if I drove the 370z I would love it, and it would address my main issues with the 350z. if only I didn't get hung up on wanting a little more storage space, and a half way usable back seat.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 AM
platinumsc

I was contemplating a 370z as well....until I saw a big guy in one last week.
He looked like a sardine in a can.
I'm 6-2 270 and bigger than the guy I saw. Now I'll just enjoy watching others in theirs. They look so cool.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 AM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I wanna try the rev match it has!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:13 AM
HBS

Me also test drive it last week but the 6MT one.

The overall impression was great,& like you,I also thinking the same to trade whether the 09' 6AT RX8 or 04' 6MT Z.
I just love the stock exhaust grunt at 4k rpm,plus a lot of usable torque at 2-3k,improvement on slick shift 6 speed tranny,light clutch engage,& the important thing is the interior.

The middle leather trimming was just right,the plastic material has been blacked even more than 350z & the feels all around was the best around it class.The overall fitment was as good as the Honda or Toyota this time,with middle small details & touch to make it feel luxurious plus the suede on the door side & middle glovebox.

The driving position is abit upward like RX8 & that is the good side for spirited driving,although it lose it 90's sportcar driving position,but anyway it does make me even more comfort while doing it as daily drive.

I really want to trade one of my car for that but unlike most of USA guys,my country charged almost 300% import car tax which mean the price is quite astronomical for now combine with 3.7l roadtax+duty that make me need to wait atleast another 5-6 year before I would able to own 1.....

Anyway good choice you make there buddy!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 AM
BigRez
Banned

op why not test drive a g37?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice...

choice.

- RB.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by BigRez
op why not test drive a g37?
Ugly. Heavy. Boring. Slower. More common than Audi, BMW, and Z combined.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:30 PM
sinceday1

You'll love every little bits about 370z
Old 10-31-2010, 05:41 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting comparison. I recently sold my 05 G35 coupe, and am in the process of parting out. Although, I have access to another car for the moment, so I have an opportunity to save for my next purchase.

My 2 main choices are 2 of the same you mentioned--the BMW M3 and the Audi S5. The 370z is a bargain compared to the pricing point of the German choices. But, for me personally, the M3 is what I am aiming at. I'm confused as to why you describe the M3 interior as cheap. The quality and design of the interior (albeit somewhat plain) are well beyond the 370z offerings (althought the 370 is a huge step up from the 350z). Many critics identify the interior as perfection. You're the first person I have read to describe the M3's interior as cheap; more quality leather wrapping, top notch fit and finish; I could see someone describing it as plain, but cheap, really? To each his own, I guess.

Although the 370 offers great bang for the buck performance, it will fall behind the M3 at the drag strip, track or street. A 414hp v8 with itb's vs. a 330hp v6? The sound of the M3's v8 at 8400rpm redline is pure joy. This is not to say the 370 is a slouch, especially for the price--your options is probably ~39k MSRP. Great bang for the buck

I dunno, the feeling of the m3 for me was perfect--although the one I drove was a m/t, not the dct.

I really like the looks of the S5 (the interior is very lively too imo), but your complaints about it are on par with what I have heard from others (I have not had a chance to drive a S5). Although the AWD is big plus compared to the other rwd choices, especially if it is your only car in a climate that sees snow. Although if someone can afford a 60k+ sport coupe, he/she can most likely afford a 2nd winter beater/car. I would agree the S5 is slightly underpowered for its price and class. The upcoming RS5 will be much better performer, but at a much much higher price--GTR pricing point.

For ~39k I don't think you can beat what the 370z has to offer. But if you have $65k to spend, imho you can't beat the refinement of the BMW M3. This is just my opinion, but an opinion that is also shared by many others (although maybe not by most of those on this board)

That being said, I think your likely choice of a 370z is a good one, especially considering the savings over the other 2 options. Thx for sharing your experiences and opinions and G/L on you purchase
Old 10-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.

But I don't love the price and I don't love how common they are.

Are S5's common in the NYC area?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 PM
MannySRT8

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
+1...common?not a chance i think i have seen 5 in my life.....these are cars so not common...S5 is a premier car and I really cant see Z and the S5 in the same sentence...sure horsepower is close..but thats about all.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Jairen

Consider the 2011 Mustang GT?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
In the NYC and Long Island area I will agree that S5s are pretty common. Oddly enough I personally have seen more S5s then A5s.

I will also agree with Jonnylaw that the M3 has a better interior than that of the 370z but to each his/her own.

Quick Reply: Test drove E92 M3, Audi S5, and 370Z. Likely trading in 350Z for 370Z.