Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370z vs Cayman vs 335ci

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 PM
reuben350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M3 or vette
Old 06-09-2012, 05:58 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dallasmavs92
id go with the 335, only if it's a m series though. the regular 335's are slow.
Not understanding what you mean. Elaborate.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 AM
singh

IMO old caymans were under powered and overpriced
Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I have driven just about every car on the list at the track.

My favorite in the "fun to drive" department is the Cayman. It needs a proper diff, but its mid-engine magic makes it feel like a Superman suit.

On a related note, I recently drove a 7-speed auto G37. That's a nice slush-box. I left it in the "sport" version of automatic, (didn't do any manual shifting) and it did exactly what I would have done with a manual about 95% of the time.

If that's the same auto the the 370Z uses, I could live with it if necessary

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 06-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly I think this thread is kinda stupid. Why don't you let your wife pick the car that she will drive everyday?
If your wife has a 30 mile commute in traffic everyday it should be her choice over yours since she will be driving it most of the time.
If you need a weekend toy so badly (that I can understand), then get one for yourself separate of hers, or replace your DD with the toy.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Sunset350ZR

I made the same choice recently needing a daily driver but wife did not give me the restraints of the auto. That being said if you are married and kids are a possibility at all I wold leave the Z at the dealership. It sure will hurt to have to do so when the test strip shows a plus 2 months after getting the car.

We looked at the 3351 as well nut ltimately chose something not on your list. We went with the EVO X.

Has the tranny you want.
Price mark may take some haggling but doable.
Performanc definitely ther for a DD
Gas mileage fine on interstate at legal speeds or or slightly over
You can drive year round though in Cali not as much a concern.

I like someone above just wasn't feeling the 370Z but thats ok Because although I sold the coupe to have the DD. I still have my lightly modded ZR as a toy.

Side note if your wife or you has a fat *** you will not fit in the Recaros.

Last edited by Sunset350ZR; 06-09-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM
jomamahama

How long do you plan on keeping the $35K car before spending another $35K? 4-5yrs? 10yrs+?

A BMW or audi/porsche will leech your funds once out of warranty, plus parts/labor premium. They are great cars but basically worthless after 100K miles.

A 370z/mustang/corvette will be much less expensive and more reliable reaching into that territory, with repair bills more easier to swallow if need be.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:18 PM
g35_white

First of all, Thanks a lot to everyone who replied.

Also, i would like to make this clear. As we discussed today, I did manage to convince her to let me drive it one week every month and on weekends . What a win!!!

Also, 30 miles of commute is mine. 10 miles of commute is my wife's.

Originally Posted by Zredman
is the g auto? just woundering...y cant she just drive the g35 if its auto? if not trade with someone for a auto g35 even if u have to add some cash, and get a well kept 2005+ corvette 6 speed and ur all set. to me it would b corvette, the bmw(just for luxury and some fun still) or hell a 2012 mustang gt supposedly u can get for 30k most basic one.

I see you dont think they r that much fun in the twisties have you tried one, amazing how far they have come(mainly ford).

if u want it new, 2 b a beast and still some seats its the 5.0 i think, but i'm biased atm seeing as thats the last car i drove that blew my mind wasnt auto though...i did like the paddle shifters on my buddies 370z which is always nice...

.....oo 1 last thought from my scatter brain, 370z 6-speed with the auto rev match might b a good middle ground for u and your wife.....just saying.
Yes, G is auto.

Yes, i have tried mustang v6 and GT both. I find GT appealing for its engine, but interior was crap. Same for camaro. We did a long trip (4 hours one way) in a mustang and we both decide this is not the car we would like to own even if we decide to get a coupe. Also a new Mustang is coming next year. Don't wanna get a new one when the next gen will have IRS.

Day by day, 370z is appealing to my senses for its VFM and price to performance ratio. i read lots of its comparison with Cayman and most say it is a great car for its price even though Cayman is more FTD but given double the price, its expected. They both are scheduled for test drive tomorrow so i would know then.

Originally Posted by B-Mackin
E46 M3 MTMFW!!! I would say the Cayman but maintenance is so damn expencive.
I agree and that's what worries me a lot. Same for 335/m3/S5/S4.

Originally Posted by myork
Honestly I think this thread is kinda stupid. Why don't you let your wife pick the car that she will drive everyday?
If your wife has a 30 mile commute in traffic everyday it should be her choice over yours since she will be driving it most of the time.
If you need a weekend toy so badly (that I can understand), then get one for yourself separate of hers, or replace your DD with the toy.
Simple back of my mind calculation says we both will be sharing the car for almost fortnight considering weekends and 1 week will be mine. So its 50-50 for both of us and so we both have a say in it. My DD is G for now and hers is camry. But since its time to replace my camry (giving lots of problems as it is 14 years old), i guess we could get a good replacement car that we both can enjoy. I hope you got the answer as to why this thread is not stupid.

When we finalize, she will have a very important say in our decision and I can't deny that.

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
I made the same choice recently needing a daily driver but wife did not give me the restraints of the auto. That being said if you are married and kids are a possibility at all I wold leave the Z at the dealership.
We looked at the 3351 as well nut ltimately chose something not on your list. We went with the EVO X.

Has the tranny you want.
Price mark may take some haggling but doable.
Performanc definitely ther for a DD
Gas mileage fine on interstate at legal speeds or or slightly over
You can drive year round though in Cali not as much a concern.

I like someone above just wasn't feeling the 370Z but thats ok Because although I sold the coupe to have the DD. I still have my lightly modded ZR as a toy.

Side note if your wife or you has a fat *** you will not fit in the Recaros.
I did consider Evo. But i don't need a Sedan. I want a nice, compact sports car. We are married but no kids. And for them, i do have the G sedan if required. So again that is not an issue.

That's good to hear you have a ZR as toy. That would make you all smiles i am sure.

Originally Posted by jomamahama
How long do you plan on keeping the $35K car before spending another $35K? 4-5yrs? 10yrs+?

A BMW or audi/porsche will leech your funds once out of warranty, plus parts/labor premium. They are great cars but basically worthless after 100K miles.

A 370z/mustang/corvette will be much less expensive and more reliable reaching into that territory, with repair bills more easier to swallow if need be.
I plan to keep it for 4-5 years. Chances of extension is there if i have to get a SUV in which case i can always get rid of the G as its already 2005.

If i am considering any BMW/Audi/Merc/Porsche, i am making sure they are offering a good extended warranty on that one. Atleast till 2015-2016 in order to have piece of mind. This is the same reason why i got the G and not a 335 a year back. high miles bmws are risky

That is why i am keen on 370z/corvette and this thread. I didn't bother to open similar threads in other brands website just because 370z's love is more than any other for now. Its a different thing that my wife loves Corvette more.

Last edited by g35_white; 06-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM
g35_white

Guys, managed to get my hands on a 370z.

It was a touring model. It was a pretty good drive though not too long. Just 5 miles. But it was enough to leave a positive impression. The road had rough patches, freeway had two semi circular exits so i could take the corners at higher speed and see how it handles.

Good things:

- power
- ride and handling
- improved interior quality compared to 350z.
- nice seats and steering

Bad things

- poor rear visibility
- lots of road noise and tire noise from 19s

Also manage to drove a 2008 G37S Coupe asking $26k.

Good things

- good power. a little less than 370z.
- great handling for a bigger car. drove the same road as 370z.
- interior better than 370z.
- more space (not that i need the extra seats, but its still there)
- very quiet up to 80 mph. no road/wind/tire noise at all.
- visibility a bit better than 370z.
- comfortable seats.
- moonroof included.

Bad things

- I was going at 70 mph and the rpm was 2900. This is a bit more compared to my G35 that has 70 mph at 2700 rpm. I think this would affect the fuel economy. I am not sure if this is common or there is some problem with this car.
- black color will be pain to maintain.

couldn't lay my hands on a cayman and corvette. most dealerships were closed as i went in late. will try it this week.

So now i am confused. I found some 370z 2009-2010 models asking $28k-$30k and found 2009 G37 and G37S asking more or less the same price. Should i get the G37 and add it to garage that already has a G sedan or try something new.

I hope, Cayman and Corvette is the answer to this question.

Last edited by g35_white; 06-11-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM
singh

man that sucks u gotta buy auto... I wouldn't buy a z with an auto tranny.. taking the fun away from a car that was meant to be fun-to-drive

i wouldn't buy the g37 if u already have a g sedan

give the wife a 135i with the DCT auto and save up for the car you truly want in the meanwhile
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM
g35_white

Originally Posted by singh
man that sucks u gotta buy auto... I wouldn't buy a z with an auto tranny.. taking the fun away from a car that was meant to be fun-to-drive

i wouldn't buy the g37 if u already have a g sedan

give the wife a 135i with the DCT auto and save up for the car you truly want in the meanwhile
You know what, i am indeed considering a 135i. Will drive it along with cayman and see how it goes.

even i am not keen on adding a G37. I just drove it because it was available in same dealership. There can be no other option than an auto so it is gonna suck. But its ok. i can live with it.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
SniperHunter

I own a few of these personally, the 370Z is one of my DDs and the 335 Coupe is my fiancee's - we drive the BMW a lot on longer trips. I have a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T for work. I also have driven the S5, Cayman, Vette, and E92 M3 numerous times. I've rented a Camaro and Mustang, and honestly...they're powerful cars, but dreadful to be inside one - there's simply nothing to appreciate inside of them, they're just ugly to me.

So here's my breakdown:

S5 and M3 don't fit these criterias because they're too expensive and out of your price range even used. And getting a high mileage of either car is an absolute nightmare waiting to happen.

- Used for daily drive to work | 370Z and 335 fit this bill quite well - the 370Z is very roomy. The Cayman works well too, but some consider it cramped - really depends on how big of a guy you are. Corvette isn't the greatest DD either.

- Fun to drive. Obvious since its a sportscar. | 370Z, 335i and Cayman are all super fun. Corvette is blistering too, but doesn't feel nearly as refined and composed as the above 3 - it's more brutish.

- Performance (power/handling) though it may not see a track in near future | 370Z and 335i win this easily. Unless you start looking at the Cayman S, which fetches a whole lot more money, the standard Cayman is pretty dog slow, absolutely pitiful motor with no torque. I drove a used one with an auto and man it did not impress not one bit. Plus the auto is an archaic 5-speed, which is dreadful.

- A little lighter on pocket is appreciated. | The 370Z wins this by default, no question about it. It's easily the most reliable of the cars you've mentioned.

- A little fuel efficient would be great. | Again, the 370Z is more fuel efficient than the 335i, by a hair. The S5 and M3 are dead last in that category. The Cayman is fairly frugal too.

- Automatic transmission | 370Z and 335i both have fantastic auto gearboxes. The 370Z is a 7-speed, the 335i is a much taller ratio'd 6 speed. The Z's gearbox is definitely the sportiest of the bunch, without a doubt. The Corvette's auto is pretty boring, as is the Mustang, and Camaro. The earlier Cayman's had awful 5-speed autos, as I mentioned. They're dodgy, boring, and don't feel the least bit sporty.

My suggestion is to look at the 370Z and 335i. I noticed someone mentioned the 135i, it's a great mix of both cars.

Originally Posted by g35_white
- Brand new 370z touring or something.
- Pre-owned 370z (2010-2011 models)
- Pre-owned Cayman (2008)
- Pre-owned 2008-2009 BMW 335i
- Pre-owned Corvette
- Pre-owned S5/M3 if available.
- Pre-owned/Brand new Camaro/Mustang GT. I am not keen on this option since these are not much fun on twisties compared to above options.

Which is a good buy?. My requirements in order.

The weirdest requirement which even i can't believe is, it has to be automatic transmission.

I know, i know its sacrilege to think sports car and auto together, but can't help it. It will be a daily driver for my wife and fun for me on weekends. I have rowed gears all my life but not my wife. So this situation.

I stay in CA and there is no snow all year round. Already have a 2005 g35. I have tried 350z that i like. Will be trying 370z soon. if its a good option to pair with G
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
SniperHunter

Also, Corvettes are notorious for tire roar from the back, more so than the Z.

I've cured A LOT of my tire roar by doing two simple things:

1) Plastidipping the rear wheel well. Plastidip is being used to paint cars and wheels, but it's actually better used as a sound deadener, it's soft and layered on thick will prevent you from hearing pebbles from being kicked up by your tires and cancel quite a bit of road noise.

2) Most importantly, it's the tires Nissan uses that are so loud. A very rough compound that is great in dry conditions, but merely adequate in the rain. They're heavy and cheap, feeling almost rock hard to the touch. This is a cheap Bridgestone compound, I've switched to Michelin Super Sports and the ride is infinitely quieter.

Also, someone said the 135i comes with a DCT. It most certainly does not - not before 2011, at least. The 135i was offered with the same auto 6-speed that the 335i had. Only 2011 135s come with a 7-speed DCT, but that's too new of a car and will not meet the $35k budget.

Your G37 drive, you drove the auto 5-speed G37, it sounds like - which does hold its revs a bit too high. The gearing is too short for the motor, so the revs are a bit high.

Interior: If you get a 370Z make sure you find one with the navi, it has a totally different and gorgeous interior that is pretty much taken straight out of the G37 without all of the gaudy chrome and brushed metal parts.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 06-13-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM
g35_white

Thank you SniperHunter for the excellent posts.

I have decided to ignore S5/M3. Indeed they are out of my price range.

I love 370z for what it does for so less. 370z are very few in market that are autos. Most are touring models but without navigation. But i will try to find one. I am having a hard time convincing ourselves to go for a new car. You think its worth it? I had rather previous owner lose the depreciation and i get advantage of good pricing on that

Its going to be test drive time tomorrow for Cayman and Corvette. Will see if they are any good since i have driven 370z, i do have something to compare to. The cayman i am getting in my price range is a 2008 model. It was slow compared to 370z in one comparison i read.

I did consider Camaro briefly, but I want to give 335i, 370z more priority than camaro. I do love the camaro over mustang and challenger.

Yes 2008 G-37s i drove was a 5-Speed AT. But then my G35 is a 5-speed AT too. Still this high rpm is not what i wanted. That is one sole criteria i have rejected it. Otherwise there was a chance it would have made to my garage even though it was an Infiniti. Also it was just $25k. A full $5k less than a 2009 370z with similar miles which i can use for gas for 2 years.

135i coupes are very hard to find here. And the ones that are available are convertible which i don't want. And they also go above $30k. Lets see if i can find any.

Still, i appreciate your post. Did clear quite a few unanswered questions. thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd go with the E92 335i... lots of potential and youll love the torque. i've driven everything but the vette and camaro, 135's, m3's 335's, caymans, etc etc i drive at work all the time. and while the cayman handles like a dream, it's quite small, has no back seats, and imo lacks power in some areas. E92 M3's are very nice and very fun, but for the price i'd get a 335i, pop in a tune and some bolt ons and youll pull on m3's no problem. all suspension components are swappable anyways.

again, youll love the torque on the 335i given you get the 07-08 with the N54 motor. don't let anyway say otherwise in terms of reliability and maintence. they are damn reliable and BMW has great customer service in most cases.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 AM
BornSlippyZ

Lot's of choices but I think it is sad (sorry for beating a dead horse) that you cannot buy a stick. I guess if I had to choose one as an auto, I would choose the BMW 335, nice car all around and power to boot.

Sacto traffic is not that bad..I lived there from 2004-2008, first I rented in the Pocket area till my house was built in Rancho Murietta. This is coming from a guy that was raised in SoCal and lived in the Bay Area for 3 years. The 16 fwy can be dangerous, I have seen a lot of bad wrecks on that road. But lots of fun back roads off of that highway.

GL on your decision.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
SniperHunter

The great thing about 370Zs is that they are not depreciating like the 350Z did. It is a fairly rare car, and is holding its residual as good as the BMW 335i Coupe, so it's 2nd best in the sports car/coupe segment. For $35K or less you can get a very lightly pre-owned car fully loaded, or for about $40K you can get a brand new 2012 with Sports + Navi at just below invoice price.

Use eBay, CarsDirect and AutoTrader to find the car you want.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
g35_white

Originally Posted by Duckeee
i'd go with the E92 335i... lots of potential and youll love the torque. i've driven everything but the vette and camaro, 135's, m3's 335's, caymans, etc etc i drive at work all the time. and while the cayman handles like a dream, it's quite small, has no back seats, and imo lacks power in some areas. E92 M3's are very nice and very fun, but for the price i'd get a 335i, pop in a tune and some bolt ons and youll pull on m3's no problem. all suspension components are swappable anyways.

again, youll love the torque on the 335i given you get the 07-08 with the N54 motor. don't let anyway say otherwise in terms of reliability and maintence. they are damn reliable and BMW has great customer service in most cases.
I really doubt i will ever do a major mod on a car i buy. Mostly it will be stock. So power from stock engine is appreciated. But thanks for putting in more confidence in BMW. I am looking at 2009-2010 335 because they will be in warranty. I would prefer a warranty in BMW/Merc/Audi because if they give trouble, i will be in trouble too.

Just a simple question. If a 335i is available for $35k and a corvette is available for same price. Similar years and similar mileage, which one would you pick?

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Lot's of choices but I think it is sad (sorry for beating a dead horse) that you cannot buy a stick. I guess if I had to choose one as an auto, I would choose the BMW 335, nice car all around and power to boot.

Sacto traffic is not that bad..I lived there from 2004-2008, first I rented in the Pocket area till my house was built in Rancho Murietta. This is coming from a guy that was raised in SoCal and lived in the Bay Area for 3 years. The 16 fwy can be dangerous, I have seen a lot of bad wrecks on that road. But lots of fun back roads off of that highway.

GL on your decision.
Yes it is sad for no stick. But its ok. I will get used to autos. I have driven sticks all my life. Only have been using a auto from September 11, but its good so far.

The good thing for me is, i have a reverse commute. So i don't encounter much traffic. So its fun. Its good on the freeway and inside city too. That is why something fun to drive is more important.

Originally Posted by SniperHunter
The great thing about 370Zs is that they are not depreciating like the 350Z did. It is a fairly rare car, and is holding its residual as good as the BMW 335i Coupe, so it's 2nd best in the sports car/coupe segment. For $35K or less you can get a very lightly pre-owned car fully loaded, or for about $40K you can get a brand new 2012 with Sports + Navi at just below invoice price.

Use eBay, CarsDirect and AutoTrader to find the car you want.
Yes, i agree. The 370zs are indeed holding values.

Here is a big question for you all.

2010-2011 370Z touring, 2009-2010 335i with premium package are available for $33k-$35k and today i saw a 2008 corvette with leather and stuff for $34-$35k. Almost all have similar miles - 22k-28k miles. All are under some warranty or other. Corvette has 100k mile powertrain, 12 mo/12k miles from dealer, 370z has factory warranty plus 3 month/3k warranty and similar on 335i. In this case, which one to pick. Will be driving the corvette tomorrow.

I may have to close the deal on saturday. Is it bad if i get corvette over 370z or 335i? We really like the corvette and would say its our dream to own one. I am not sure if for next 5-10 years i will be able to own if not now.

Last edited by g35_white; 06-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
tazicon

I will just say we had looked at the caymans and man I really wanted one, but we bought a brand new Z for a hell of a lot less than a used Cayman and it is still a very fun car. I onw a G37 and a 370Z. The 7ats in them are very different............Gearing in the 2 cars is different, heck the two cars are very different altogether.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Duckeee

Originally Posted by g35_white
Just a simple question. If a 335i is available for $35k and a corvette is available for same price. Similar years and similar mileage, which one would you pick?
Since modding is not in the equation, it's harder to narrow down the choices. But to answer your specific question, I'd go with the 335i in regards to a daily driver standpoint.

I think you need to go out and test drive each car first to see how it goes. Since you aren't getting a true manual, an E92 or E90 M3 with the SMG would provide the most fun of the bunch.

Quick Reply: 370z vs Cayman vs 335ci