Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

The Brutal Truth about the Z35

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Sharing parts with BMW isn't a bad thing. I love the new Supra after being around them in person and am even considering buying one. Would have to do a manual swap which is like an extra $12k on top.

I'm VERY happy the Supra is back.
Don't get me wrong..... I think having the Supra back is a good thing, especially for the market segment we're talking about. And sourcing from BMW, well, if it makes economic sense for TOYOTA, OK.

But I'd hate for Nissan to do such a sourcing. Mainly because of the innovative and compelling engineering they've done that led us all here. Now granted, that was years and years ago, most likely said innovative engineering team is no longer there and they are driven by "survival" rather than innovative niche products; but to attach the name "Z" to anything but a true, in-house designed (well, with help from design firms is OK) and built GT car would be, TO ME, blasphemy. But it is 2020, not 1970....
Old 04-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Sparklan

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm a big fan of the MK4. There was no way I could afford one at the time the MK4 came out, and they're simply not worth the $100k now. I said to myself, if the Supra ever comes out again I'm not missing it! Then a concept comes out a while back, and I'm excited. I'm thinking, is this it? Hell yes!! Then, the announcement of BMW's involvement and design. My heart sank. True story.

I think it's a fine sports car, it just shouldn't wear the Supra badge. I really hope this sinks in with Nissan, as what not to do when building an iconic brand.

Toyota FT-1 Concept

2020 Supra BMW

Old 04-22-2020, 05:41 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Post 283 referenced this model but thought this was a slightly clearer rendering.

If this version is what the real thing will look like.... I like. The S30 influences are very obvious. Especially the rear quarter window and roofline/rear hatch.

Here, compare.... they even have the round emblem/vent/gas cap thing aft of the C-pillar.

What's interesting about all this recent talk and "leaks" of renderings and such is that I'm actually getting rather interested, almost excited to see the real thing.... if it happens.

The following users liked this post:
bboypuertoroc (04-23-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 02:42 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Post 283 referenced this model but thought this was a slightly clearer rendering.

If this version is what the real thing will look like.... I like. The S30 influences are very obvious. Especially the rear quarter window and roofline/rear hatch.

Here, compare.... they even have the round emblem/vent/gas cap thing aft of the C-pillar.

What's interesting about all this recent talk and "leaks" of renderings and such is that I'm actually getting rather interested, almost excited to see the real thing.... if it happens.
That is the Toyota FT-1 concept, not anything from Nissan.

It would be interesting to see what Nissan does with the Z. However, I moved on from the brand a few years ago and just don't see myself coming back unless the R36 is amazing.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
That is the Toyota FT-1 concept, not anything from Nissan.

It would be interesting to see what Nissan does with the Z. However, I moved on from the brand a few years ago and just don't see myself coming back unless the R36 is amazing.

Shows how much I keep up with the industry. Stuck in the past. Hahaha. Thanks for the clarification. Good looking car.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-22-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:13 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Honestly, I can't wrap my mind around the new Toyota. To me, it's just ugly and doesn't stir any emotions or car erotica. My eyes glaze over like a long dead hooker in an alley in London when a Supra shows up in my line of sight.

As for Nissan, I kind of lost the love affair with Nissan when new technology and better body styles started to overshadow my beloved Z. No matter what I did to my Z, it just seemed slower than everything else on the road. When I could see family cars accelerate faster than my car, I was pretty much done. Coupled with the fact that Nissan wasn't really doing anything mind-boggling new with the Z made me realize I needed something different to continue to enjoy the car scene. I wanted "more." I don't think I'll buy a new Z, but I would surely enjoy a nicely modded S30 if that opportunity ever presents itself.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:44 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparklan
Toyota FT-1 Concept

2020 Supra BMW
The production Supra's body is actually VERY close to the FT-1 concept. I don't know how many concepts I've seen be this close.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:24 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Honestly, I can't wrap my mind around the new Toyota. To me, it's just ugly and doesn't stir any emotions or car erotica. My eyes glaze over like a long dead hooker in an alley in London when a Supra shows up in my line of sight.

As for Nissan, I kind of lost the love affair with Nissan when new technology and better body styles started to overshadow my beloved Z. No matter what I did to my Z, it just seemed slower than everything else on the road. When I could see family cars accelerate faster than my car, I was pretty much done. Coupled with the fact that Nissan wasn't really doing anything mind-boggling new with the Z made me realize I needed something different to continue to enjoy the car scene. I wanted "more." I don't think I'll buy a new Z, but I would surely enjoy a nicely modded S30 if that opportunity ever presents itself.
I get what you're sayin', D. Seein' grocery getters accelerate like banshees on meth can be rather distracting.

But maybe it's my "advanced age", but acceleration (or lack thereof) fails to detract from my enjoyment of my Z (or my roadster FTM). Still all about the balance and their abilities to pull a lateral g (or thereabouts) without fuss or drama that brings a smile to this old man's face. What they lack in velocity attainment, they more than make up in allowing me to exercise my hand/eye/feet coordination.

But then again, when I do wanna put down some rubber (metaphorically), got my other car for that. With roughly 400 +/- wheel, yeah, it gets out its own way so no need to "brute feed" the Z full of air and fuel and it'd still be slower than my Teutonic sled. Hahahaha.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:26 AM
Sparklan

The production Supra's body is actually VERY close to the FT-1 concept. I don't know how many concepts I've seen be this close.
I don't see it. The headlights and nose, maybe. Otherwise, it's a pretty sad attempt. Even the FT-1 needed some tweaking on that front end to make it more Supra. Instead we get a squished Z4 with fake vents. IMO, the only chance the new Supra has at being deserving of the name is in the aftermarket. Wide body kits are looking promising, but who wants to drop a bunch of money on a brand new $50k car just so it isn't hideous? There's a lot a person can do with $50k-$60k.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:53 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I get what you're sayin', D. Seein' grocery getters accelerate like banshees on meth can be rather distracting.

But maybe it's my "advanced age", but acceleration (or lack thereof) fails to detract from my enjoyment of my Z (or my roadster FTM). Still all about the balance and their abilities to pull a lateral g (or thereabouts) without fuss or drama that brings a smile to this old man's face. What they lack in velocity attainment, they more than make up in allowing me to exercise my hand/eye/feet coordination.

But then again, when I do wanna put down some rubber (metaphorically), got my other car for that. With roughly 400 +/- wheel, yeah, it gets out its own way so no need to "brute feed" the Z full of air and fuel and it'd still be slower than my Teutonic sled. Hahahaha.
Don't get me wrong. I still enjoyed the Z and how it felt. However, I think it was the lack of support from Nissan or the lack of innovation PLUS seeing really nice, new sports cars made me wonder if this was it for Nissan. I felt like my Z was great on the track and some curvy roads, but I also wanted more "umph." My current ride definitely has the HP and the comfort to make me feel like I'm in a cockpit. I'm thoroughly enjoying my car and am happy with the decision. Like I said before, I'm still open to getting back into a Z. It will probably be an older one that's highly modified.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:00 AM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wishful thinking

Hey everyone!

I'll give my opinion on the idea of a new Z and Nissan in general. ( I have no one else to talk to about this, and its been lingering for a while ) Obviously the current Z is outdated, and hasn't been touched in a very long time other than recent hideous cosmetic decisions. This also can be said for the rest of Nissan. If you look at every lineup from Nissan, their interiors are severely dated. They are having a hard time keeping people interested in their products. Every time I see an individual in a new Nissan I feel like they got the short end of the stick. All of this on top of what happened with Carlos Ghosn just does not help them as a company. To me it seems like Nissan is barley keeping their head above water.

Every day I look at my news feed hoping for anything relating to a new Z. It's almost comical at this point to see an article pop up with a new name for it. (300zxV2, 400Z, 380Z, just put a series of numbers and tack the letter Z on the end) I'm very optimistic for the Z's future. I really hope they look at the reactions and criticism from the new Supra and apply it towards the Z.

In the end I think the upcoming 2021 Nissan Rogue that recently "leaked" will need to sell. It seems like they are on the right track as far as interior goes with this and the Altima. Hopefully this helps Nissan's lineup to sell and give them the ability to invest back into their company and maybe work on getting a new Z out. It's just hard sometimes seeing Nissan and other companies that produced such amazing cars in the past come to this. And yes I know, these cars just don't sell. But car companies are about heritage and the Z is a part of what made Nissan, well Nissan.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2020, 06:33 AM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by Sparklan
I don't see it. The headlights and nose, maybe. Otherwise, it's a pretty sad attempt. Even the FT-1 needed some tweaking on that front end to make it more Supra. Instead we get a squished Z4 with fake vents. IMO, the only chance the new Supra has at being deserving of the name is in the aftermarket. Wide body kits are looking promising, but who wants to drop a bunch of money on a brand new $50k car just so it isn't hideous? There's a lot a person can do with $50k-$60k.
The only things that are different are the larger side intakes, how wide it is, small difference in the nose, and the side mirrors.

The only chance the MKIV Supra had at deserving the title Supra was in the aftermarket as well. It wasn't that fantastic of a performer out the box unless you were only going in straight lines (and even then wasn't the quickest/fastest Japanese sports car). The new Supra is FAR better performance wise and is already proving itself in the aftermarket. My only major gripe is the lack of a manual trans, but even the auto it got is fantastic.

It only made sense for Toyota to partner with BMW to bring the Supra back. They produce the best boosted inline 6 engines right now which is a requirement for a Supra. The money for Toyota to develop a new Supra after it was out of production for almost two decades meant Toyota wasn't gonna do it. I'd rather have it back with BMW's help than not at all. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd drink it.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:54 AM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
However, I think it was the lack of support from Nissan or the lack of innovation PLUS seeing really nice, new sports cars made me wonder if this was it for Nissan.
This is kinda how I feel about Mitsubishi. They completely turned their back on the die-hard performance following they built over three plus decades. The pedigree was FANTASTIC - Evo 1-10, Galant VR-4, Eclipse GS-T/GSX, 3000GT VR-4, etc. They started to go to **** after the 2G Eclipse was replaced, brought it back in line by bringing the Evo to the states, but then drug the Evo X out as bad as Nissan was dragging the 370Z along. Man, I remember when MOD was THE event every year.

Hell, the 2Gb GSX is still one of the best looking "imports" to this day and I would kill a man for a red one.

SmoothZ (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 06:58 AM
Sparklan

I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd drink it.
This could go on forever. lol. I would not drink it, but variety is the spice of life. What's most important, is if you do get a Supra that you enjoy it. That's all that really matters, and the fact that the car you want actually exists. Which is more than we can say for Nissan right now.
bboypuertoroc (04-28-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:10 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK, so let's get this thread back on track.

Get back to dissing Nissan for dragging its feet.

GO!!

SmoothZ (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 05:22 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Whatever Nissan is doing now with the new styling of their mass produced vehicles is looking good to me. I just hope they can somehow breath some life into the soul of a future Z car.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:32 AM
Sparklan

Not sure if this one has been posted, showed up in one of my feeds today.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:07 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Doesn't look bad if you can imagine without the white circles. Already caged so doubtful is concept
Old 04-28-2020, 07:33 AM
bboypuertoroc

I'd really like the next gen Z to be closer the the 240Z, like how all the muscle cars went new school retro with their designs.
The following 2 users liked this post by bboypuertoroc:
MicVelo (04-28-2020), SmoothZ (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 08:43 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Totally agree. You're on to something. I like the new Challengers and Camaros partly because they look like they're trying to get that old school soul back into the car. I have to admit that I also like the new Mustangs, especially the GT or GT350.

Lexus isn't doing so well with their idea of a sports car. Too many trim levels makes it confusing.

I think Nissan should make at most 3 trim levels of the new Z and try for a retro look.
bboypuertoroc (05-01-2020)

Quick Reply: The Brutal Truth about the Z35