Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

The Brutal Truth about the Z35

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Read through that piece and that's "speculative journalism" at best. The Supra has been expected for some time, and is probably the best bet. They also labeled the 370Z "ancient", but believe it or not, there are other models in Nissan's lineup that are even older and still selling well. No? Take a close look at the 2017 Nissan Frontier pickup, that was first introduced in 2005.

There's little doubt Nissan is still considering a new Z, but the BRUTAL THRUTH is that it costs the company very little to keep the status quo for such a limited market.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Read through that piece and that's "speculative journalism" at best. The Supra has been expected for some time, and is probably the best bet. They also labeled the 370Z "ancient", but believe it or not, there are other models in Nissan's lineup that are even older and still selling well. No? Take a close look at the 2017 Nissan Frontier pickup, that was first introduced in 2005.

There's little doubt Nissan is still considering a new Z, but the BRUTAL THRUTH is that it costs the company very little to keep the status quo for such a limited market.
Yes, true on the Frontier but to me, that makes sense. It's a utility vehicle. I mean, the Ford F150 has been around for time immemorial and yet it still sells like crazy with just the usual evolutionary changes advantaging new technology and manufacturing economies of scale.

The Z, OTOH and IMO, being the "second halo car" (yet at semi-mass produced price points for "ordinary" consumers) needs to have a little more drama and flair than what I see as the same type of evolutionary changes as the F150 or Frontier.

No, it's not bad; but to me at least, doesn't really stand out (if one were to believe the renderings of a semi-fertile mind and deft hand).

But this is just speculative journalism as well and I'll think no mind about it until the PRODUCTION version comes out - if ever. If history has any say, in a few years, I'll look back at this thread and say, "Whoa, I can't believe I said that. " in a manner that I say that about comments I made just a couple of years ago. Hahahahaha.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree it is a speculative for Nissan and Mazda. I do like the look, and I do agree it does not have that "wow" factor for me. It does however capture what I feel like would be the next evolution of a production Z. Given the V-motion grill and following the lines up the hood.

It has a narrower (width wise) GT-R view where the lower LEDs are located. They incorporated the boomerang DRLs around the main headlights. So whoever did this drawing did somewhat of a good job of creating a logical body style for the next generation. Just they basically drew two sets of DRLs with the boomerang lights, and then the LEDs right below them, haha.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't remember the last time I've witnessed 370Z in any form of marketing - let alone TV.

Perhaps a little marketing that's not Rogue or Versa...
Old 08-31-2017, 06:40 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
I don't remember the last time I've witnessed 370Z in any form of marketing - let alone TV.

Perhaps a little marketing that's not Rogue or Versa...
Nissan ads do have a 370Z in the background- like the current Heisman one running in Colorado with Tebow in a Rogue being passed by a bright yellow Z.

But the BRUTAL TRUTH is Nissan realizes it's a waste of ad dollars running anything on the Z34 at this point in time...
Old 08-31-2017, 08:20 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Nissan ads do have a 370Z in the background- like the current Heisman one running in Colorado with Tebow in a Rogue being passed by a bright yellow Z.

But the BRUTAL TRUTH is Nissan realizes it's a waste of ad dollars running anything on the Z34 at this point in time...
Conscious reasoning on the part of the mfgrs...

If you think about it, most of the car mfgrs don't use a lot of broadcast media (TV, internet video....motion advertising) SALES advertising for their halo (or pseudo-halo) cars. Nissan 370Z, Chevrolet Corvette, even Jaguar F-Type, Porsche etc.

They don't need to. Enthusiasts know the cars (or will seek them out if they're on the market) and they are a very small, select market.

But mass market cars are advertised out there in force with tons of ads for Nissan Altimas, Chevy Cruze, even Jaguar F SUVs and Porsche Cayennes. And they're broadcast in direct frequency proportion to their potential market size due to the competitiveness within whatever segment they're pushing to.

Mfgrs will occasionally use their halo cars in CORPORATE IMAGE advertising to show the world what they're made of. Ford did a few months of ads for the new gen Ford GT, Acura with the new NSX, and so on. These ads have very different composition and tone to them. They're more, "Sheeeit, you ain't nuttin', look what I got!!" and NOT "It gets 48mpg and we have attractive lease rates... for $999 down and $99 a month for 99 months, you can have this Tercel!"

The image cars sell themselves. Ad dollars are carefully calculated and allotted. Not gonna waste the bucks on their top-of-the-marque cars. Those don't pay the bills.

Note: They do use print and some web advertising for the marquee cars but still nowhere as much as plain jane cars. Because it's a lot cheaper.

And now you know what I did (and still do in advisory manner) for a living. Laff....

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-31-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:26 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/news/new-n...35-in-pipline/

I thought they would go with the Q50S tt motor but looks like they are shedding weight and going with a 4 cyl
Old 08-31-2017, 01:40 PM
carbuffguy

Dave, I'm not 100% on that. Example...Our local dealer had a red, base, coupe sitting at their lot for a long time. We had a small, local, dealer based car show recently and the Nissan dealer brought the Z34 to it. Of all the cars there, other than the new Vette, I noticed the Z was the car with a crowd around it. The following week it was sold.
I know that's just one example, but I'm just not sure the 20/30's crowd (no kids) even know the're still in production.
I went to a Indy race this year, and of course all the new car reps were their with their new models on display. The Nissan booth had ZERO representation of the 370Z...the perfect venue I think?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:01 PM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Conscious reasoning on the part of the mfgrs...

If you think about it, most of the car mfgrs don't use a lot of broadcast media (TV, internet video....motion advertising) SALES advertising for their halo (or pseudo-halo) cars. Nissan 370Z, Chevrolet Corvette, even Jaguar F-Type, Porsche etc.

They don't need to. Enthusiasts know the cars (or will seek them out if they're on the market) and they are a very small, select market.

But mass market cars are advertised out there in force with tons of ads for Nissan Altimas, Chevy Cruze, even Jaguar F SUVs and Porsche Cayennes. And they're broadcast in direct frequency proportion to their potential market size due to the competitiveness within whatever segment they're pushing to.

Mfgrs will occasionally use their halo cars in CORPORATE IMAGE advertising to show the world what they're made of. Ford did a few months of ads for the new gen Ford GT, Acura with the new NSX, and so on. These ads have very different composition and tone to them. They're more, "Sheeeit, you ain't nuttin', look what I got!!" and NOT "It gets 48mpg and we have attractive lease rates... for $999 down and $99 a month for 99 months, you can have this Tercel!"

The image cars sell themselves. Ad dollars are carefully calculated and allotted. Not gonna waste the bucks on their top-of-the-marque cars. Those don't pay the bills.

Note: They do use print and some web advertising for the marquee cars but still nowhere as much as plain jane cars. Because it's a lot cheaper.

And now you know what I did (and still do in advisory manner) for a living. Laff....
But Mic, I don't think the Z34 is in the same market as the cars you mentioned.

"The base sticker price of the Nissan Altima 3.5 SL trim is $32,690. The features would cost an additional $980. Including the destination charge of $885, the total price of this trim is $34,555.

The base sticker price of the Nissan 370Z Touring trim is $37,970. The features would cost an additional $1,090. Including the destination charge of $885, the total price of this trim is $39,945.
"

At that price what market are they competing in?
They still are "the poor man's sports car" and a damn good one imo.

I just think Nissan could get a little more aggressive in that market.

Do a little test and ask some people - "Does Nissan still make the 370z?"
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM
carbuffguy

Awe, but maybe you guys are right. Maybe the 370Z has outlived it's market.

Maybe Nissan should follow the American manufactures lead with high HP retro cars...maybe re-invent the 240Z with 4 or 5 hundred hp - Just to burst a-Mic-o-bubble
Old 08-31-2017, 03:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

But Mic, I don't think the Z34 is in the same market as the cars you mentioned.

"The base sticker price of the Nissan Altima 3.5 SL trim is $32,690. The features would cost an additional $980. Including the destination charge of $885, the total price of this trim is $34,555.

The base sticker price of the Nissan 370Z Touring trim is $37,970. The features would cost an additional $1,090. Including the destination charge of $885, the total price of this trim is $39,945.
"

At that price what market are they competing in?
They still are "the poor man's sports car" and a damn good one imo.

I just think Nissan could get a little more aggressive in that market.

Do a little test and ask some people - "Does Nissan still make the 370z?"
I hear what you're saying Mike, but that wasn't the point. I was just explaining how advertising schemes work. The Z, while not a pricey car vis a vis the over-$70k cars I did mention, it is still one of Nissan's image cars and the true halo/marquee car would be the GTR.

Think about it for a minute, another example of what I was saying.... higher end Mustangs like the KR and GT500 or whatever they're called fall into roughly the same "ADVERTISING CATEGORY" as the 370Z. It's not the marquee car like the Ford GT, just as the Z34 isn't the GTR.

But, marketwise, it's a known entity amongst the target market: CAR ENTHUSIASTS with a little more than a Ford Focus budget and needs.

How often do you see broadcast advertising for one of those? Welllll, I've never seen one.

I also wish they'd have some kick-butt, visually stimulating ads that feature the cars we love/want/need. But until the Z35 gets here, this is as good as it gets. When that appears, we WILL see ads for same, guaranteed.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:03 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Awe, but maybe you guys are right. Maybe the 370Z has outlived it's market.

Maybe Nissan should follow the American manufactures lead with high HP retro cars...maybe re-invent the 240Z with 4 or 5 hundred hp - Just to burst a-Mic-o-bubble
Oh, that discussion again.... the wishes for a 2018 retro S30. That one comes around every year or so...

That wouldn't burst my bubble at all. I'd be the first to order one.

So I could park it next to my near-50 year old Datsuns with a combined horsepower equaling about half of the new little rocket.... and I'd still want to drive my SRL and S30 because honestly, there are no new cars that do ANYTHING for me, character wise.

Now get off my damm lawn.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:53 PM
carbuffguy

[QUOTE=MicVelo;10912731]I hear what you're saying Mike, but that wasn't the point. I was just explaining how advertising schemes work.

I get it Mic...

I just don't always buy into the school of thought that just because something has been practiced and TAUGHT a certain way for eons that it's right and fits into all models.
For instance, rather than relying on enthusiasts to search out the "marquee" car on their own, as you're suggesting, let's convert more people spending 30/40k on a very average car into the "enthusiast" market.

I do think Infiniti did a better job keeping the G cars in the spotlight...

Anyway, I agree, it's too late to re-ignite marketing for the current Z.

Basic sales would teach - it's much easier to sell something you're excited about. Yet year after year front line sales get the same product and marketing plan.

Annnd now I'm rambling.... something to the effect that Nissan doesn't know how to market cars
Old 09-06-2017, 12:44 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

More BRUTAL NEWS on the new Z. Despite rumors of a concept model being released for the upcoming Tokyo Auto Show, inside sources are debunking the idea. Nissan Australia execs have said they have not heard of any plans of a Z concept model being released. A Nissan global exec was also asked and stated there's no specific timetable for developing a new Z, as Nissan has other products it's focusing on.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM
carbuffguy

More BRUTAL NEWS on the new Z. Despite rumors of a concept model being released for the upcoming Tokyo Auto Show, inside sources are debunking the idea. Nissan Australia execs have said they have not heard of any plans of a Z concept model being released. A Nissan global exec was also asked and stated there's no specific timetable for developing a new Z, as Nissan has other products it's focusing on.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Then again.... could be red herring.

I mean, I've seen the prototypes since I'm so well known to.... ooooops, wait.... Uhhhh, nevvvvvvvvvver mind.....

Brain wash! Brain wash! You did not read that. You did not read th...
Old 09-06-2017, 04:09 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Then again.... could be red herring.

I mean, I've seen the prototypes since I'm so well known to.... ooooops, wait.... Uhhhh, nevvvvvvvvvver mind.....

Brain wash! Brain wash! You did not read that. You did not read th...
Uh oh, Deep Throat has given up his ID! MicVelo has all the secrets and is prepared to spill,,,uh, maybe hint around the truth?

In reality, I don't doubt there are plenty of design sketches and even clay prototypes at NDA and other Nissan design studios of proposed Z designs. But even those don't mean anything has been given the green light. And for the record, I don't blame Nissan for putting the Z on the back burner. Economically, I think there's very little reason to commit millions of dollars to R&D such a low volume model. They lose very little by keeping the Z34 in production.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Uh oh, Deep Throat has given up his ID! MicVelo has all the secrets and is prepared to spill,,,uh, maybe hint around the truth?

In reality, I don't doubt there are plenty of design sketches and even clay prototypes at NDA and other Nissan design studios of proposed Z designs. But even those don't mean anything has been given the green light. And for the record, I don't blame Nissan for putting the Z on the back burner. Economically, I think there's very little reason to commit millions of dollars to R&D such a low volume model. They lose very little by keeping the Z34 in production.
I've already said too much.

Ar ar ar ar ar ar ar ar ar.......
Old 09-08-2017, 06:37 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
As long as the new Z isn't this, I'm willing to wait.

That's the next gen mazda RX8
Old 09-08-2017, 07:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bealljk
That's the next gen mazda RX8
Hope your joking- that's the electric sportscar concept Nissan released back in '12. Nissan Sport Magazine ran it on issue #20 as the cover shot.

Quick Reply: The Brutal Truth about the Z35