MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2009+ 370Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z-504/)
-   -   To keep or to sell? (https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/609014-to-keep-or-to-sell.html)

RM10 01-24-2016 06:28 PM

To keep or to sell?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, couldn't decide whether to put this here or in the Buying section.

I've been a VERY proud 350z owner for the past year and I've enjoyed every second of it. It's a 2005 touring model, auto, with 147k miles (got it with 140k). It's still just as much fun as when I first got it, and I've been very impressed with its reliability, only issue I had was a very minor brake problem, not bad at all for a car with that many miles! So now you might be wondering why on earth I'd wanna sell the thing haha. It's mainly because of two issues.

First and most obvious thing is the fact that it's an automatic. I got it because I'm using it as my daily and didn't want to get caught in traffic a lot with a manual. I also thought that since it's a shiftable automatic it would be a fair trade off, but I'm starting to realize that it's nothing compared to a manual. I thought about getting paddle shifters and installing them myself, but thought it might be too much money with the kits being around $500-600.

Second things was the miles. As I said, so far it hasn't been an issue, but I love the car and would like to keep it for a few years but would feel much more comfortable with a car with lower miles for reliability reasons.

These two issues have kept me from getting myself to buy any serious mods or anything yet. I got the car for roughly $9000 after dealer fees and all that, and would want to sell it for around $8000. Haven't decided what I'd get, I'll probably get another 350z touring with lower miles but I'd might decide to invest a bit more and look for either a 350z Nismo or maybe even a 370z.

What do you guys think? Is it enough of a reason to sell it?

Thanks for reading!

turboed350z 01-24-2016 06:33 PM

If you can get 8k for it, sell it.

However i highly doubt youll get 8k for it, more reasonable would be 4-6k.

RM10 01-24-2016 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10713977)
If you can get 8k for it, sell it.

However i highly doubt youll get 8k for it, more reasonable would be 4-6k.

Yeah 8k might be too high but trying to minimize my loses here haha. KBB value is 6.5-7k, and that's about what they're going for in my area. Think I should still sell it?

dkmura 01-24-2016 06:59 PM

One critical element the OP hasn't talked about is any sort of emotional connection or history with his Z. Without that, it's just a car--a world class sportscar, to be sure--but a car, nonetheless. Cars are bought and sold everyday...

RM10 01-24-2016 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10713983)
One critical element the OP hasn't talked about is any sort of emotional connection or history with his Z. Without that, it's just a car--a world class sportscar, to be sure--but a car, nonetheless. Cars are bought and sold everyday...

Very true, it's my first proper sports car and I truly do love the car haha. But since the first day I've gotten it I've always had a thought that I'm going to sell it soon in the back of my head.

jhc 01-24-2016 07:33 PM

If the car runs well with very minor problems and you enjoy it, who should talk you out of a good daily driver?
If you can afford a newer manual and you want to customize, great. The part of your story you are leaving out is your financial picture.

RM10 01-24-2016 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10713994)
If the car runs well with very minor problems and you enjoy it, who should talk you out of a good daily driver?
If you can afford a newer manual and you want to customize, great. The part of your story you are leaving out is your financial picture.

Didn't want to blow all my money on one car (college student here haha) when I got it last year, but my budget is under $15k now, that's including the money I'd get from selling my current Z for around $7k. Might stretch it if something like a Nismo comes into play though.

verdict. 01-25-2016 03:58 AM

With your financial situation a Z34 is out of the picture. You won't find one that low, and even if you do it wouldn't be worth looking at. Is it worth the hassle of selling/buying a new vehicle just for a manual? That's up to you...