MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2009+ 370Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z-504/)
-   -   Money Shifted 2017 Nissan 370Z... Does it Sound Normal? (https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/619127-money-shifted-2017-nissan-370z-does-it-sound-normal.html)

ChemicalKai 04-12-2018 07:22 AM

Money Shifted 2017 Nissan 370Z... Does it Sound Normal?

First of all hello, I'm new to the Forum. Second of all, sorry to redirect you guys but the link is below to the video of the sound.
Edit: I'm also not sure I'm posting in the right section so I'm sorry if I am not...

Some Backstory:
-Car has 8,000 miles
-Since the money shift has happened I've driven it over 1,000 miles
-I'm not sure how high the Tachometer shot to
-I feel like it has less power but I'm also paranoid
-Was going about 70-75Mph when downshifting to 4th and ended up in 2nd

Now on to the story. I had just got the car and was driving home to see family because I just moved out of state and it was Easter weekend. I'm going up a ramp at about 70-75 Miles per hour and I try and downshift to lose some speed because the car in front of me for whatever reason was breaking hard. Well I missed 4th and ended up in 2nd, where the back tires locked up, I skid for a minute and I scream because I knew I just messed up. I pulled into a gas station, got gas as normal and continued the rest of the drive (which was about 300 miles) with no issues what so ever.

I don't know much about the VQ37VHR but from what I hear, their valve trains are loud as is, and same thing with the fuel injectors. I don't have much experience with these motors as I said, so I'm trying to see if other people think it sounds normal for the VQ37VHR to sound this way. It's mostly the ticking I'm concerned about. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm going nuts!

dkmura 04-12-2018 07:35 AM

Wow- I don't know about "money shift", but a missed downshift from fourth to second is significant. The question is: what can you do about it? The idle might be one clue, but depending on whether your sound clip was taken just after startup or after the Z had been warmed up, but it's hard to tell much from just sound.

The VQ37VHR is a precision-built engine, so that kind of shock from a missed shift could have damaged internal parts significantly. If it was catastrophic, you wouldn't have been able to finish your drive, but anything short of that means you won't discover it until the component fails.

Two non-invasive ways to check would be to run a scan of the ECM and BCM sections and see if there are any codes in memory. Second, get a kit from Blackstone or other lab and have a UOA done to determine the overall health of your Z.

ChemicalKai 04-12-2018 07:42 AM

This was after about a 20 minute drive. I have a appointment tomorrow with the dealer. I already know that it voids my warranty. A money shift is exactly what it sounds like, I shift that causes a lot of money to be spent. But still from what you said, I'll take it that isn't what the VQ37VHR normally sounds like? I found a couple of other videos that their Z sounds worse than mine.

ChemicalKai 04-12-2018 08:14 AM

If anyone can provide more info, would be greatly appreciated. I want to know exactly what the motor is supposed to found link.

travlee 04-12-2018 08:15 AM

liven Z life 04-12-2018 10:42 AM

It’s a 2017 with 8000 miles.... go to the dealer play dumb and say it’s broke... pretty simple to me lol

MicVelo 04-12-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by travlee (Post 10950297)

3:20 bounce that Z redline. Ow, sympathetic rod bearing pain. :eek:

:icon17:

NR350z 04-20-2018 05:40 AM

Pretty tough to tell as your video isnt even of the engine bay, also try giving some other info as well, blip of throttle, rev, etc.

I don't really hear anything too abnormal, but with less than 10,000mi I would do as stated above, back to dealer, "I dont know what happened, is brokeded"