Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Has anyone had to replace a Soft top control unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 PM
David2673

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone had to replace a Soft top control unit?

Anyone out there ever have to replace a softtop control unit? If so I would love to hear from you.

Thank you
David
Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Mang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still working on your roof system, it doesn't work at all or stops during opening/ closing process ?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM
David2673

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Mang,

Problem solved!!! It turned out to be a short in the seat tilt cancel switch behind the passenger seat. All indications to me pointed towards the soft top control unit ($1200) Damn I am glad that it was just the switch. This is after I tore apart most of the interior of the car. Oh well it is now fixed for the upcoming good weather.

Have a good one.
David
The following users liked this post:
350z-UB (07-22-2017)
Old 05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Mang

Hi David,

Good for you, know how it is to solve a problem which seems to unknown by "the experts" at the dealershops, they just replace every suspect parts by elimination.
New control module, new switches, new motors, new solenoids and finally they change you the d***mn switch. Probaly they will charge you for all parts and labor.
It needs some effort (and frustration ?) but now the job is done you can enjoy !

Regards,

Mang
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 AM
350z-UB

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David2673
Hey Mang,

Problem solved!!! It turned out to be a short in the seat tilt cancel switch behind the passenger seat. All indications to me pointed towards the soft top control unit ($1200) Damn I am glad that it was just the switch. This is after I tore apart most of the interior of the car. Oh well it is now fixed for the upcoming good weather.

Have a good one.
David
Hi there, sorry to bring up such an old post but I'm hoping you can help me with something I hope to be an easy fix.

When you discovered the seat tilt switch behind the passenger seat was causing the roof mechanism to stop working, did you take the switch out to repair it or did you by pass it?

Also did you find out where the soft top control unit was located?

The things I've already checked and ruled out are:

- Fuses and relays.
- Rebuilt the 5th bow motor (new brushes)
- Replaced the hood activation switch.
- Checked the continuity of the wiring with a multimeter, power is getting to where it needs to.
- Lubricated the roof mechanism

After checking all that I'm stumped, lots of reading seems to point at all the above but after coming across your post I've regained a little hope again!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Cbailey0410

Default Trying to identify what’s going on

Bought this 350z for my dad as a 70th birthday gift have spent last month working on little things, needed tires, basic maintenance stuff. Had a new top put on which set me back 1500 for the soft top. When I got it back the top doesn’t want to work correctly has now been to four places in an effort to get it fixed, bought a new motor to replace one behind driver side, I am wondering if maybe a few things are linked together cause oh it to not work correctly. First off the driver window doesn’t drop as much as the passenger side when opening and you can hear a clink noise in driver door when pressing the convertible top down button, also the seat adjustments was not working on the passenger side and had repaired. Wondering if this repair was linked to top no longer working. Also should all the support bands in top be tight? The ones in the far back are not as tight. Don’t know where to go with this thing. It’s a 2006 Nissan 340z convertible.