Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Roof Problem

Old 05-31-2010, 04:24 AM
DLH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Problem

Guys!

Ive never had a problem relating to the Roof but, all of a sudden when I attempt to put the roof down nothing happens. The warning light is on, The windows dont come down/No motor sound - Nothing. As if im not even pushing the Roof Button.

My car stood for about 3 months and now I have this issue.

I have checked the Fuse under the Hood and it seems fine.

Any ideas or help will be great!!

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 AM
DLH

Roof still not working.....................

Checked all the Fuses.

There is just no response when you I push the Button to bring the Roof Down..

Any Ideas??????????
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 AM
WilliamZ33

There are many possible culprits. You'll have to do a trial and error approach.

First off, is there a shelf in the trunk that needs to be possitioned correctly to allow the roof to work?

If that's in order, I'd turn my attention to the switch. Remove it, expose the wiring and see if the roof responds to direct power from a battery source.

Also check for corrosion in your wiring and contacts.

Lastly, it could be the motor.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 AM
DLH

thanks

Eventually took the Car into the Dealer this morning.
I Called them now to follow up with what they have found.

They said they suspect it is the CONTROL UNIT That is Faulty.......................

Any Idea the price of this unit & Info ???
Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 PM
MastaRay

Hello I just got my z like a week ago and have noticed that when i put the top down it some times wont go down all the way. The top folds down and evrything but when the cover goes to shut it will get stuck about an inch or so from fully closing. I have to open it a little then close it and then it will close all the way. Has anyone else had this problem? It is really enoying and i would like to know if anyone have any ideas on how to fix it.

Last edited by MastaRay; 10-19-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 AM
taylorms

Originally Posted by MastaRay
Hello I just got my z like a week ago and have noticed that when i put the top down it some times wont go down all the way. The top folds down and evrything but when the cover goes to shut it will get stuck about an inch or so from fully closing. I have to open it a little then close it and then it will close all the way. Has anyone else had this problem? It is really enoying and i would like to know if anyone have any ideas on how to fix it.
Mine does the same thing. I think that is fairly common. Have you noticed that it only does it when its cold out?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 AM
MastaRay

No not really I had the problem a couple time when it was like in the 70s
Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Highmiles43

Have you checked the brake switch? Nothing will work if your foot isn't on the brake before you hit the button. If the switch corroded, the top wont know the brake is on.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM
MastaRay

The brake switch is fine. It just wont go down all the way but it will go back up and once it does then it closes all the way. I dont think the top is sitting in there all the way. Its like the cover is hitting it but when i open it a little then close it the top then goes down more and the cover will shut.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

The brake switch is fine. It just wont go down all the way but it will go back up and once it does then it closes all the way. I dont think the top is sitting in there all the way. Its like the cover is hitting it but when i open it a little then close it the top then goes down more and the cover will shut.
I think that was to the OP..
Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Shawnee2

Default Top not going down all the way

I'm having the same problem. Just got back from the dealer and they said I need new elastic straps installed to pull the top tighter. Not sure I totally agree. THere is a sevice bullitin on this as well NTB08-100. They want to charge $800+ to correct. Suggested I call NIssan and see what they can do to help. Not covered under warranty.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM
MastaRay

Yea thats what I thought. The last owner put the straps in but i thought maybe they are starting to loose there elasticity.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:56 AM
JamesYellowZ

I'm having the same problem, but it seems to be only on the drivers side.

The issue I'm seeing is...open the top and it almost folds up and the lid closes to about 3 inches from the car. I notice the drivers side is up higher than the passenger side. I got out and tried to see if something is causing it and I don't see anything.

How I've been resolving the issue is by opening and closing the lid 2-3 times and I can here a clunk and the lid is closed. So, I know it has to be catching on something, but what? and what is causing this? I'm tending to think it's the straps you guys are talking about, but not sure since I don't understand what the straps are.

A little history, about 2 years ago I had to replace the top and the body shop did that. (long story behind this). So after they did that, for the next few months I kept hearing little rivet ends falling down from the tubes. I inspected and didn't see any faults within the tubing with missing rivets. The top was working just fine until about 4 months ago when the scenario i described above started happening.

Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The elastic straps pull the bow down to help tuck it into the fold of the top. If the bow isn't positioned correctly the hatch will not close all the way. If you watch this bow durring the folding process you will see what I am reffering to. The staps seem to loose elasticity fairly quickly. Try pushing back on the bow while the top is folding. If this helps then your problem is the straps.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
JamesYellowZ

Sorry, just saw your message. I'm going to test this week and see. It's really cold until later in the week. But I'll let you know what I see.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM
JamesYellowZ

I think I might figured it out. The two bolts connecting the hood to the swivel bracket are not set tr same on both sides. I'm going to do that and I also noticed the area between the lid and trunk lid are not even. The side that's causing the problems is closer to the trunk than the side that is working fine.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
2fastnc

Originally Posted by taylorms
Mine does the same thing. I think that is fairly common. Have you noticed that it only does it when its cold out?
I have ! Glad its not just me....
Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 AM
ObiShawn

Elastic's pretty cheap/easy to come by... anyone try to replace it on their own, using the TSB info but NOT buying Nissan's kit? Mine is starting to do this from time to time, and was thinking of just using my own elastic and rivets.

TSB anticipates about a 1H 45M job, and gives great step-by-step photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fi..._top_issue.pdf
Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 AM
venmichaels

my top seems to work only when it wants to.. it will not fully open and get stuck at the last stage..
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Blooster

Originally Posted by ObiShawn
Elastic's pretty cheap/easy to come by... anyone try to replace it on their own, using the TSB info but NOT buying Nissan's kit? Mine is starting to do this from time to time, and was thinking of just using my own elastic and rivets.

TSB anticipates about a 1H 45M job, and gives great step-by-step photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fi..._top_issue.pdf
Can't answer your question but thanks for the great link!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof Problem