Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Knocking sound on drivers side anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 04:40 PM
zmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking sound on drivers side anyone?

Over the past week or so, I've noticed that when I go around turns slow and at the same time maybe going over a bump, I hear something knocking on my drivers side making a noise very similar to what it would sound like if a door wasn't shut all the way. It is definitely something knocking against something else. However, I can't replicate the noise by pushing or pulling on the door, nor does it sound like or seem to be the window moving in its tracks.

What I think it is is this: when the top is up, there is a plastic flap in the area near the seatbelt anchor that when the top is lowered, folds flush. However, when it is up, it is in the vertical position and comes into contact with some of the framing of the top. If I pull it back and let it hit against the frame, I get a noise that almost seems like what I'm hearing when driving and turning and/or going over bumps.

Has anyone else noticed this and come to the same conclusion I have? In other words, it appears to be some moderate flexing that is causing that flap to contact the frame in such a way as to make a noise. It doesn't do it all the time so I don't think it is serious. My question is whether anyone else is having it. Having just traded out of an Enthusiast Roadster and into this Touring, I can say I never experienced it in the Enthusiast (also, my Enthusiast had less air turbulence noise when at highway speed than this touring...don't know why).

So, I'm looking for some feedback from anyone else that has noticed this.
Thanks,

srm
Old 11-30-2003, 04:55 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is more like a creaking noise behind my head when i am driving either up or down a parking ramp... such as twisting the body of the car. the sound is also replicated when the top is either raising or lowering. i think mine might be caused by the mechanism... i cannot isolate it though. i tried spraying everything with a wd-40 like spray and no luck.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:31 PM
zmann

Something like that. I'm attibuting it to some kind of flexing as it most often occurs at low speeds, when turning AND going up or down an incline of some sort and really of only marginal change, e.g., into a parking area, over a pot hole, over an expansion joint, etc., etc. And the only thing I can do myself to make a sound that is similar to what I hear when driving (and yes, it is coming from behind close to the ear level) is flipping that little plastic flap thing (which is coincidentally at ear level behind our heads). Try moving yours when the top is up, i.e., pull it forward and let it snap back into place. Tell me if it isn't a noise kind of like what you are hearing.

Thanks for responding...maybe someone else out there will be a little further along with this problem, it's source, and remedy (if any).

srm
Old 11-30-2003, 11:13 PM
ragtopz

well, i was holding that piece up during the whole up and down operation... i thought i was going to pinch my fingers but fortunately i didnt. my conclusion is that mine isnt caused by that black flap. mine is coming from that shock absorber looking thing i think.

anyways, they are changing out my whole soft top and mechanism assembly this thursday because of a hole in my top, so i guess if it truly is caused by my mechanism, it should be fixed this thursday. if it still is around, then i will have to re-examine that flap again.

sorry couldnt be of more help.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 PM
SeanG

Mine makes a thud sound when I go over a large bump. It almost sounds like the spare tire is not bolted down, and is bouncing around in the trunk.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:21 AM
RedHerring2

I have a ticking noise in the mechanism near my left ear that can be reproduced by pushing up on the crossmember that goes over my head from left to right. It is obvious but my dealership cannot seem to fix it. It rattles or ticks when I go over bumps.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:24 PM
spartikus1975

I have this exact problem did anyone ever figure out what it is being caused by? I know I am reviving a very old thread