MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   350Z Roadster (https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadster-124/)
-   -   Best top manufacturer for cloth top (https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadster/552727-best-top-manufacturer-for-cloth-top.html)

timfacchin 05-21-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by wildebird (Post 9741222)
Im up in Atlanta at Flightsafety right now but when I get back home Ill get them off my IPAD and send you a zip file. I wouldn't be hesitant to do the top if you have some mechanical skills. Its really not that bad. Just take your time and plan for 2 days.

Thanks a lot, man. That's awesome. I still haven't decided if I'm going to try it myself or have it done but I'm sure your pics will help me decide.

IUbest 05-28-2012 03:42 PM

New member here: My 350Z convertible top doesn't work. I suspect motor problems and have a broken rivet in my top frame (frame may be bent). What are my options? Do I buy new or a used convertible top (Robbins 2150)/motor/computer/frame? What would you experienced guys do? I'm not mechanical. I've learned alot from your posts already! Thx.

juanl1999 05-29-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by IUbest (Post 9753681)
New member here: My 350Z convertible top doesn't work. I suspect motor problems and have a broken rivet in my top frame (frame may be bent). What are my options? Do I buy new or a used convertible top (Robbins 2150)/motor/computer/frame? What would you experienced guys do? I'm not mechanical. I've learned alot from your posts already! Thx.

I recommended against a used top just because even if you could find any they're most likely from a wreck or salvage yard. Who knows what stresses it was placed under and the original tops are notorious for ripping on the sides of the back window. If you have a bent frame then you're issues are a bent frame first, then a convertible top. Any money you spend on new or used won't matter if the frame and motors are messed up. Install isn't bad, there is a DIY guide at the top. Read it, then read it again and then read it a couple more times. People start without reading the guide and think I'll learn along the way. I did it, personally I don't think it was difficult and pretty straight forward. Just make sure it makes sense to you before you attempt it.

wildebird 05-30-2012 11:58 AM

Not that I'm an expert, but I totally agree with what Juan1999 said. Fix what's broken then worry about the top. To be honest I skimmed the top install then did it. It really wasn't bad at all. I'm very pleased with the Robbins top for fit and Finnish.

Joe Cool 06-22-2012 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by wildebird (Post 9721226)
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND TO ROBINS CLOTH TOP 2150.

wildebird - Thanks for the info. I have several no0b Qs, if you don't mind.

Is this the top you're referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-09-NISS...ht_1446wt_1105

Where did you see the ez-on haartz - or any other tops, for that matter?

I went to the Haartz website, but they only show 2008 & 2009 350Zs, no older ones. Under "find your car," they said the "Twill ERB S/T" was the only one available. Check it out:

http://www.haartz.com/fmt/Default.aspx

Apologies for the dumb questions, but before I dropped hundreds, I want to do my research!

Thanks again

wildebird 06-26-2012 07:17 PM

Yes, that's the same company I ordered from. They quoted me 14 days but it was here in 5 days. I decided to go with Robbings because our local installer said that's what they used. There have been several people on the board who have used the EZ-ON brand. The Robbins is a Hartz cloth top.

oyealiz 07-02-2012 08:03 PM

Hi, I'm going to order a new top and would like to see your pix of the removal and install, please!

My sweetie just put a new top on his 73 vette, with some help from a friend to stretch and such, and he's planning to put mine on the z.

oyealiz 07-11-2012 02:00 PM

Ordered! Woohooo!

juanl1999 07-15-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by oyealiz (Post 9797084)
Hi, I'm going to order a new top and would like to see your pix of the removal and install, please!

My sweetie just put a new top on his 73 vette, with some help from a friend to stretch and such, and he's planning to put mine on the z.

Look at the DIY guide on this forum. Pictures of removal and install is not an easy 10 to 12 pictures to post. The guy who did the DIY already went through the trouble, I suggest you check it out. He has several pictures. Good luck.

Gunsmoke 08-10-2012 06:55 PM

Top Install

Just an FYI, I put 2 Ez-on tops on mine. The first one developed a single stitch coming loose and the lamination on the underside came loose. This was 8 months after it was put on. I was just being picky and I e-mailed the seller, with pics and receipt. Within 2 weeks I had a new top. Within another week after i sent the old one back (EZ-ON sent me a label) I had a check for 485.00 for installation. I only paid 550.00 for the top shipped.

The installation isn't too bad, I did it myself with no convertible experience. It isn't easy, but it isn't impossible. Time consuming and best done in a garage where when you get tired you stop, come back refreshed and work some more.

I was pleased with the fit, function and appearance of the top, very close to OEM. Material seems to be the same rear window is same but cleaner looking than factory where its attached to the top.

As far as the leak at the cowl cover, that bow can be adjusted by loosening the 2 12mm bolts on each side of it and sliding it while the top is partially up. the holes are elongated to allow for some adjustment if needed.

I would buy one again, customer service was beyond top notch.

Again this is just my .02 from my experience.

There are many brands and styles to choose from, I did like the Hartz cloth but it was more than I wanted to put into it and I was wanting the closest to OEM without the OEM price.

bigbirdmodeZ 10-18-2012 10:17 PM

Just bought a Robbins 2150 Black cloth. Cant wait to install it, Did you just follow the removal/install guides on here? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Did a full off frame restoration and convertible top install for a CJ7 when I was 16 yrs old. What kind of rivets did you get from the hardware store?

Gunsmoke 10-19-2012 06:45 AM

Actually I did follow them, it was simple, The second top, I never referenced them at all. It is good to have a friend there to help lift the old one off, I did it myself but it would be easier with someone there.

bigbirdmodeZ 10-20-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gunsmoke (Post 9921250)
Actually I did follow them, it was simple, The second top, I never referenced them at all. It is good to have a friend there to help lift the old one off, I did it myself but it would be easier with someone there.

okay good to know. Cant wait to install it, its been tearing for the last 8 months by the windows and I can finally justify getting a new one. Will let everyone know how it goes.

BG

yogipower 10-22-2012 02:30 PM

Can anyone post pictures from inside?

bigbirdmodeZ 10-24-2012 10:22 AM

I'm about to start replacing the top. What 'inside' pictures? :dunno:The DIY pdf has tons of pictures. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by yogipower (Post 9924877)
Can anyone post pictures from inside?

yogipower 10-26-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by bigbirdmodeZ (Post 9927188)
I'm about to start replacing the top. What 'inside' pictures? :dunno:The DIY pdf has tons of pictures. Wish me luck.

i just wanna see how it look from the inside, like same as oem from top and side. i really need to order one for myself and do it too but i dont know which one and where to get one haha.

Good luck with your new TOP!

bigbirdmodeZ 10-26-2012 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by yogipower (Post 9929733)
i just wanna see how it look from the inside, like same as oem from top and side. i really need to order one for myself and do it too but i dont know which one and where to get one haha.

Good luck with your new TOP!

Thanks

Yogi, it looks exactly the same. They eliminated the sticking surrounding the window but its identical inside.

Its pouring rain today. Washed the Z yesterday after the install. Held great through a wash. Today will be another good test.

yogipower 10-26-2012 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by bigbirdmodeZ (Post 9929758)
Thanks

Yogi, it looks exactly the same. They eliminated the sticking surrounding the window but its identical inside.

Its pouring rain today. Washed the Z yesterday after the install. Held great through a wash. Today will be another good test.

which one did you get? and how much did you pay if you dont mid me asking

bigbirdmodeZ 10-26-2012 12:28 PM

Robbins 2150 Black Cloth, 689$ shipped Ebay.

yogipower 11-02-2012 12:47 PM

i wish i can see robbins in person before i do anything... i saw one from GAHH and they were GREAT, but its like 50/50 because their shapes are little bit different than otheres.