350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Soft Top replacement at dealer, frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 AM
chanhaang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top replacement at dealer, frustrated

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum,just bought my first Z Roadster(05) and I absolutely love it. yeah!
Got a quick question. When i purchase my Z, the top was in bad shape and dealer(A Nissan dealer) agreed to replace it for me, they even put it on a due bill. I left the car there for a week since I'm going to be out of town in next 7 days. 7 days later, nothing changed when I went pick it up. They told me the top need to be special order from nissan and it takes longer time then regular part. Also they refuse to give me an estimate on arrival date for the top. So they have me drove the Z home and wait for their call. Nothing happened in next 7 days, very disappointed. I'm traveling again in next 10 days, so I decide to drop it off at the dealer today and have it wait for the part. Once again, the sales, the manager both told me the top is ordered but they don't know when it will be arrived. That makes me feel very odd. Is the Z roadster top is such a rare part, takes that long to get it? it's 2 weeks already....... I have a feeling that the dealer keep looking for excuse now......
you guys have any suggestion?
Thanks a lot
Old 08-01-2014, 04:44 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

It is probably a little late for this advice...........but you should not have taken the car until the top was replaced. If the car is on their lot, there is an urgency to get the parts. Once it has been delivered to the customer, things tend to slow down. It is probably too late to return the car and ask for your money back.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

^^Agreed- you lost all leverage at the dealer once you took delivery. It's a used car, so there's probably no warranty or any hope for official Nissan involvement. Are they only replacing the fabric part of the top? Does the rest of it function properly?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:05 AM
MonkeyMagic72

Try to go back to look at the documents you signed, to see whether you have a contract with the dealer which specifically states, they will replace the soft top with no charge and within a time line to be complete. If you do have that, use that to push the dealership to have the part ship fast and replace in no time to meet the contract. That maybe is your best option right now since you already took the car out of their lot.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:24 AM
chanhaang

The top works fine mechanically, just replacing the fabric. They even put it on a due bill for the replacement.But I guess it means nothing to them.
I called the parts dept. today morning, they told me it takes about a week to get the top but they couldn't find my record or order there. The used car manager is ordering the top from outside......
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Unfortunately, unless it was written into your sales contract that genuine Nissan parts would be used to replace your top, it's the used car manager's call about who he gets the part from. A due bill is a work order, not part of a legally binding contract. Sorry to say, but your frustrating wait seems like a lesson in how NOT to buy cars.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't listen to the guys above. If you really have a due bill showing they would replace the top you have legal recourse as that was a clause in the sale of the vehicle. When I purchased mine there was no nav disc or cup holder which is minimal I know, but still made them write me a due bill for it. The dealer was an hour and a half away as well. I left with the car and within a week the parts were ordered and shipped to my house. A due bill means that the items listed are due and included in the sale. Don't let em **** you.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
MonkeyMagic72

Originally Posted by chanhaang
The top works fine mechanically, just replacing the fabric. They even put it on a due bill for the replacement.But I guess it means nothing to them.
I called the parts dept. today morning, they told me it takes about a week to get the top but they couldn't find my record or order there. The used car manager is ordering the top from outside......
1. Since you have the due bill, they have a legal binding to have your top replace.
2. The dealership is bs with you. I never heard of the dealership orders parts from the outside, because they usually order directly from manufacture to stock and have everything record in the ordering parts system.
3. Don't call them. Go there and ask them to give you the record of the top is being ordered. When it was ordered and when it will be received.
4. If they can't do that. You should demand to speak to the general manager who have the authority to resolve the issue.
5. Tell the GM that, it is hazardous to drive a car with a leaking roof in the rain.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:57 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

They are probably ordering it off eBay
Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
MonkeyMagic72

Haha,
But even if they ordered off eBay, still it should only take about 3-5 days the most.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM
chanhaang

Thanks guys I will call the GM and see what he gonna say.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM
jamnew

They are giving you the run around. The Z top is not rare. There are plenty of places selling them. I replaced my top in May at Paymer and Phillips in Beltsville, MD. They ordered the top and got it in one day and the entire installation took 4 days and they apologized for the slow service!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Call one of those consumer advocate reporters at a local TV station. They love giving **** to car dealers, and no dealer wants that sort of publicity, especially a name-brand new/used dealer.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I would try contacting nissan north america and filing a complaint on the dealership.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:00 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are probably holding out hoping you will die, total the car, or get it stolen.
If they do that to 100 customers they will be able to avoid paying for a promise or two.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in agreement with what monkeymagic72 has written and I'd also do what Junkster suggests. Another thing I'd try would be to phone another dealer and ask if they have one in stock which I'd doubt, then ask how long it would take from ordering to delivery, this would give you a good idea as to your situation.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:24 PM
TinMan64

chanhaang... Where did you buy your Z?

Last edited by TinMan64; 08-17-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:48 PM
MyLilZ

for what it's worth I stopped by the dealer by me and ask about new top.I have a 04 and the parts guy asked for the vin number, so when I got it for him he put it in the computer and laughed.He said it was $1800.00 with out labor and about 4-6 weeks to get must be paid in full before ordering!SAY WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!! I need a new top to but not for 1800. I live in a pretty big city in Michigan (about 300-350 thousand people) and I have yet to see a 350z convertible,as far as I know I have the only soft top and I have only seen 3 other 350's this summer .
Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 PM
chanhaang

Guys, sorry for late respond. Just have my car returned safely. I was so quite mainly becoz they have my car and I want to make sure my car return to me safely. But since my Z is back now so it's ok for me to tell the whole story here.
First of all, I bought my car from Stevens Creek Nissan.
Here is the second part of the story, I dropped my car at the dealership again,@ 31st July. Then I went out of town for about 8 days. I called the Used car manager Andy before I left, he promised my everything will be taken care when I return 10 days later.(I actually recorded every single conversation I have with him) So when i came back and called again, he told me nothing happened with whatever excuses he can imagine, the fact was he never order the top. so I told him what he promised me and he better do it asap. I gave him another 7 days becoz the parts department told me clearly it takes 1 week maximum to order a new top. A week later I called him, 15th July, he told me the top was replaced. so I sent my sister to pick up the car and she found out the air bag light still on( two things on the due bill, replace roof top and fix the air bag lights). So I called Andy again, this time he was being impatient and told he only responsible for the new roof, not the airbag light. He said the due bill he has is all about the roof only, nothing about the air bag light. So I went home, emailed him the copy of "my version of due bill". Called him again on Monday and he agreed to fix it for me.( Apparently they have to replace air bag module/sensor for me to turn off the light.) So three days later, on 8/20/14, i have my car back.
This car was purchase on 7/20, my birthday as a birthday gift to myself but it turns out with so many dramas and stories. A completely different car shopping experience I ever have.
BTW, the sales guy, Philip Kim really helps a lot. Without him, my car probably still seating in Steven's Creek Nissan garage now. So if you really want to buy a car from this dealer, ask for him.
One last thing, I want to thank you all for giving me so much valuable suggestion. Thanks! And I love my Z!