Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

(Another) 5th bow motor question - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 AM
IslandHopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Another) 5th bow motor question - need advice

Hey all - long time listener, first time caller. Finally getting off my butt to start to look at a purchase of a 350Z convertible. Found a private seller, car in good shape (2004), but has trouble with the top. Seems as though that's quite common around these parts, but I wanted to get some advice from the experienced ones here, if in fact it is a simple as the motor.

The top doesn't open without a lot of manual assist (pushing & pulling while repeatedly pressing the Open button). But it seems to close just fine - smooth, easy sequence, all the way through. Could the 5th bow motor be the culprit in not allowing it to open, yet still work fine the other direction?

I'm sure I'll get a lot of questions on it but unfortunately I don't have the car; seller still does and I've only seen it/driven it twice. The top has me hesitant...if it's a ~$50 rebuild, awesome, but if you guys think it's a symptom of a $1000+ repair, I'd hate to pull that trigger...

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Michael Polley

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was the same as you explain.if it goes up fine then its not the motor,most likely a sensor,find a good convertible top shop,not a Nissan dealer.
mine works good sometimes,sometimes not,i will wait till next spring to get it fixed,my shop already looked at it,he said not the motor.mines also a 2004

The following users liked this post:
IslandHopper (10-20-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:01 PM
IslandHopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, go figure - the Z gods smiled upon me. The guy selling the one with the balky top backed out, so I continued my search, and ended up (IMHO) much better off! Now the proud owner of a 2004 350Z in MY FAVORITE COLOR, the eye catching orange. Brand new convertible top, flawless top operation, leather seats in very good condition (especially compared to the original one I was looking at), and to top it all off, 20k fewer miles...all at the same selling price. With the exception of some bubbling paint areas on the trunk, it's everything I was looking for...

Old 10-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Michael Polley

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good.you got lucky,try to clean those headlights