Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Negative effects of top stowed for long periods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:27 PM
rsv1zcar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Negative effects of top stowed for long periods?

First time 350Z Roadster buyer, long time roadster owner.

Normally my top goes down first of May and stays that way until mid November. Looks to be original fabric top. Can I expect damage, should I pre-treat?
Old 01-22-2018, 04:29 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

"...my top goes down first of May and stays that way until mid November. Looks to be original fabric top. Can I expect damage, should I pre-treat?
[Nissan - reference Owner's Manual]"Keeping the top stowed for long periods may cause wrinkles on the surface of the top." You'll find broader 'care instructions' etc. in the OM as well.

Choosing to do that makes little sense to me, and I don't / won't stow mine for extended periods.

Nice ride, get a stubby antennae mod.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:24 AM
rsv1zcar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I was looking for personal experiences of those that had left their tops down and their results good or bad.

The 350Z's top mechanism is quite complicated and I am frankly more worried about it going south with frequent use than the replaceable top, but I bet the top costs a pretty penny to replace. This 2007 top is in excellent condition and may be original to the car.

Why a stubby antenna? Better reception/looks? Factory replacement?

Thanks

Edit add: A stubby might help in the covering dept.

It's a stretch but my Miata cover almost fits.

Last edited by rsv1zcar; 01-23-2018 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rsv1zcar
"...worried about it going south with frequent use..."
Certainly read about failures, specifically here on an enthusiast's forum, but I wouldn't stress over average & reasonable use. No clue what the mean-time-between-failure rates are and there are always failure exceptions but I have zero concerns with normal use. I do inspect and lightly lube all contact points on a consistent basis, including the latch and catches across the windscreen frame. You'll do what you consider is best but I wouldn't (and don't) leave the top stowed.

stubby antenna?
Purely aesthetics, specifically on the roadster. Top-down and OEM antennae length just looks "off" (opinon).

stubby might help in the covering dept.
My roadster is not a daily. I use a fitted California Cover (which was not worth the price although the fit is excellent - too many friggin' seams, looks like ****) and I've kept the long antennae sock. That Miata cover looks like it fits well-enough to not waste coin on another.