Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

2004 Vert help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:48 AM
nasastar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Vert help needed

I purchased a 2004 Vert with a few known issues. One of the issues was the top didn’t respond to any switch toggling. It appears a previous owner monkeyed with the 5th bow drive motor (it was unbolted, but doesn’t appear anything further was done).

The top appears locked into position at the rear between the seats, so I haven’t been able to manually fold it up.

Also, in the right rear quarter panel, after I removed all of the interior pieces, there is what appears to be a weighted sensor mounted to the trunk pan.

Three questions:
1) What is this heavily weighted item called?
2) Are there any troubleshooting steps recommended for the top.
3) Is there a trick to releasing the lock so I can inspect what is there?

Last edited by nasastar; 05-20-2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Fixing punctuation
Old 05-20-2019, 08:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,291 Likes on 895 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems with this ZR. I don't own one, but it seems issues with the power top are endemic at this point in time. My suggestion is to search for a qualified local Nissan tech who can troubleshoot and repair the top. There's little chance anybody behind a keyboard will be able to accurately offer a fix for this complex mechanism. Just my $0.02...
Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 AM
nasastar

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry to hear of your problems with this ZR. I don't own one, but it seems issues with the power top are endemic at this point in time. My suggestion is to search for a qualified local Nissan tech who can troubleshoot and repair the top. There's little chance anybody behind a keyboard will be able to accurately offer a fix for this complex mechanism. Just my $0.02...
dkmura thanks for the note. I’ll continue to troubleshoot before considering an outside mechanic. In my early years, I was a mechanic before I switched fields. Mostly working on high end European cars, Ferrari, Porsche, etc...but I’ve continued to work on cars and learn more about each vehicle I work on.

That said, I’m having a tough time finding information and diagrams for the latching mechanism for the top, and electrical component diagrams in the trunk, so I figured someone in the group might be able to offer some guidance.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:08 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Do you have a FSM for your Z?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:25 PM
nasastar

Do you have a FSM for your Z?
I don’t. Do you know where I can pick up one?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Say 'thank you' to NICOclub:

https://nicoclub.com/archives/nissan...e-manuals.html
Old 05-21-2019, 07:42 AM
nasastar

Thank you. I ran across his post last night whilst rummaging around on the board. This morning I read section RF, all 130 pages and found most of what I’m looking for. I also spotted a typo or two and some oddly worded statements

After reading that section, I can correct my earlier comments: the Storage Lid motor was unbolted and the 5th Bow Lock Actuator isn’t releasing electrically. I will spend some time this weekend testing the switch, controller, sensors, motors and actuators in an effort to isolate any issues.

That said, what I’m still 100% unclear on, is the manual process to release the 5th Bow Lock Actuator in the event it will not electrically release. Based on page RF-120 it offers instructions to emergency release the Trunk Lid and the Storage Lid, but I don’t see instructions for the 5th Bow Lock. I might have missed it when I read section RF, but I don’t recall seeing an explanation or diagram of the 5th Bow Lock Actuator. Do you know if the Storage Lid manual release cables also release the 5th Bow Lock?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Sorry, as I said previously, I own a Z33 coupe. It certainly seems like many ZR owners have experienced problems with their tops. From what I've seen, it's a complex mechanism with plenty of moving parts. Since you've been posting here, there's not been many others who've contributed to the question, so you may be on your own. Good luck!