Notices
370Z Engine & Drivetrain VQ37 Power and Delivery

Help please! Mistery issue, Z stalling right after start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM
OdesiTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! Mistery issue, Z stalling right after start

Hi, guys! Please help to get back on the road!
My DD Z doesn't want to run without any reason. I just get home and parked the car, and before that, it was run great.

In the evening I tried to start it and it's made a loud whine noise(really scary) and tried to idle but like without something(most likely air or fuel, not looks like a spark ) and stalled. Tried to restart many times with the same results.

I noticed a pretty loud whine when the car is off and the key is in ON position. This noise comes from the passenger side between the engine and firewall(see pictures), and it sounds like a low-frequency mosquito, about 4500hz.

Tried to locate it with a hose(one side to the ear, another searching for source), tried with a screwdriver as a stethoscope and most loud buzz through the screwdriver I hear at the fuel pressure regulator. Looks like a fuel pump for me.

Also:
Few dais ago, when I start to drive my VDC/ABS/SLIP/BRAKE came on and I checked fluid, pads and stuff and found a bussing noise from the ABS relay. I wanted to change it but decided to take a negative cable off from the battery for 20 minutes, and believe me or not, that buzz disappear, and after few miles lights on the dash gone too.

Any ideas what it's could be? Fuel pump? Pressure regulator? ECU? Some relay? Crankshaft position sensor? BTW, last time when I changed the oil, the mechanic told me that I have an oil leak from the camshaft position sensor if I'm not mistaking it.
I need my DD ASAP :c
Attached Thumbnails Help please! Mistery issue, Z stalling right after start-maxresdefault.jpg  

Last edited by OdesiTT; 10-17-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added details
Old 10-18-2017, 03:22 PM
OdesiTT

I was not able to find a source of that mistery ringing, but I truly believe that this noise and stalling have a strong relationship.
If I put my ear to the plenum, It's even more audible, and I can hear how that noise goes through the entire engine.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:27 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,291 Likes on 895 Posts

Phew, it's the old refrain: have you pulled any codes?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:13 AM
OdesiTT

Exclamation

Originally Posted by dkmura
Phew, it's the old refrain: have you pulled any codes?
Hi! Thanks for responding!
I wish it throw any codes but it doesn't. I tried two different diagnostic tools(one is good, another one cheap) but it doesn't show anything at all.

Nothing new was done to the car, it was running like a champ.
Now, my main suspects are:
Altinator
ECU
Bad gas(just refilled it, still nothing)
CPS?

Here is the video

Can I check alternator when the car is off?

Last edited by OdesiTT; 10-19-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,291 Likes on 895 Posts

There's a code (or two or three) in there. What brands of code readers have you been using? Also, anytime you post a repair question, it helps to include year, model and mileage of your Z.

My suggestion from watching your video is it acts like a CPS failure, but you definitely need to PULL THE CODES using the Z's onboard diagnostics BEFORE throwing any parts at the car.
The following users liked this post:
OdesiTT (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 AM
OdesiTT

My suggestion from watching your video is it acts like a CPS failure, but you definitely need to PULL THE CODES using the Z's onboard diagnostics BEFORE throwing any parts at the car.
I think that most likely this is CPS. That high pitch noise was coming from both sides, that's why I couldn't find the source. And probably, this is a CPSs on both sides making that noise. Still weird, because the car came home perfectly fine, and failed later in the evening. I'll go and try to pull them and clean.

Last edited by OdesiTT; 10-19-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:47 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Seems like a fuel pump issue. Thats my guesstimate.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:28 AM
OdesiTT

There's a code (or two or three) in there. What brands of code readers have you been using? Also, anytime you post a repair question, it helps to include year, model and mileage of your Z.

I couldn't get better diagnostic so I bought two CPSs and throw it in the car.
Unfortunately, same thing and the same, loud, high pitch noise
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 AM
OdesiTT

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Seems like a fuel pump issue. That's my guesstimate.
I can hear the fuel pump. Seems like it works, at least it pumps at the startup.
Checked the fuses as well.
What is really weird, that nothing was wrong and I drove the car home without any issues. It just doesn't want to start again.
Only thing, I filled up really a little bit(10$)of gas at the one not famous gas station, but I was nearly empty, so I didn't have a choice. I already put there twice as much of good gas, but nothing.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:59 AM
OdesiTT

HELP PLEASE
Old 10-20-2017, 12:12 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

why not take it to nissan for a proper diagnosis?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 PM
OdesiTT

Originally Posted by travlee
why not take it to Nissan for a proper diagnosis?
Because it's not running and Nissan is really far, so towing will cost me.
Another thing, that you always should find the problem before tow it to any service, because they know that you have no choice if the car was towed and will charge you arm and leg. I just lost the job because of Irma(place, where I worked, was damaged and they shut down the business for now) so I just can not afford it.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:09 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Try spraying carb and choke cleaner into the service port when you try starting it... My money is still on a fuel issue, if the pump it still working maybe its just not making it into the injectors.

That part your pointing at in the picture is part of the fuel system, I dont know if its a filter or what it is actually but it could have gotten clogged up with junk from going to a sketchy gas station... That would be some sketchy **** of the pump gas put dirt into your tank.