Notices
370Z Maintenance & Repair 370Z upkeep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Found out i had a bent pinch weld i could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Hunter1212125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found out i had a bent pinch weld i could use some help

so i recently found out i had a bent pincb weld on my 2008 350z and i was wondering it effects the handling or the performance of the car i am kind of freaking out so any information helps i am planning to build the motor in the car so i dont want any issues in the future. Thanks for any help
Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter1212125
so i recently found out i had a bent pincb weld on my 2008 350z and i was wondering it effects the handling or the performance of the car i am kind of freaking out so any information helps i am planning to build the motor in the car so i dont want any issues in the future. Thanks for any help
Someone get sloppy with a jack? If you do indeed have bent/broken unibody weld, it's most likely to show up in your alignment if its that bad. If not, not a reason to freak out... if you're that concerned, have it welded and then move on. Next question...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Hunter1212125

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Someone get sloppy with a jack? If you do indeed have bent/broken unibody weld, it's most likely to show up in your alignment if its that bad. If not, not a reason to freak out... if you're that concerned, have it welded and then move on. Next question...
ok thanks for the help i have one more question whats the difference between the pinch weld and the pinch weld seem
Old 06-19-2018, 08:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

ok thanks for the help i have one more question whats the difference between the pinch weld and the pinch weld seem
A pinch weld in general terms usually refers to the length of metal that runs fore/aft on a unibody car. It is usually (but not always) sort of an L-shaped piece running along the outboard side of the underbody.

The pinch weld seams are - again in general terms - the point on the pinch weld that are doubled over one another and welded at that point.... coinciding, conveniently, with the car's jack points. But more generically, its where any sandwiched metals are joined together by a weld.

These are fairly robust points on a car and it would take lots of pressure (like a misplaced and/or unevenly loaded jack (think bottle jack versus a floor jack with wide load pad) on a seam OR impact with an object on the road or collision impact.

A common practice on race cars (built from production cars) is to "seam weld" the cars for strength, flex reduction. The main recipient of such welding is the pinch weld or what I prefer to call unibody stiffener.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Hunter1212125

A pinch weld in general terms usually refers to the length of metal that runs fore/aft on a unibody car. It is usually (but not always) sort of an L-shaped piece running along the outboard side of the underbody.

The pinch weld seams are - again in general terms - the point on the pinch weld that are doubled over one another and welded at that point.... coinciding, conveniently, with the car's jack points. But more generically, its where any sandwiched metals are joined together by a weld.

These are fairly robust points on a car and it would take lots of pressure (like a misplaced and/or unevenly loaded jack (think bottle jack versus a floor jack with wide load pad) on a seam OR impact with an object on the road or collision impact.

A common practice on race cars (built from production cars) is to "seam weld" the cars for strength, flex reduction. The main recipient of such welding is the pinch weld or what I prefer to call unibody stiffener.
ok thank you for all the help i really apritiate it so have also heard that on the pinch weld im the front there are notches carved out for jacks but the bend on my car is in the middle to rear of the car is there a particular place that is stronger than the other ?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:34 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

ok thank you for all the help i really apritiate it so have also heard that on the pinch weld im the front there are notches carved out for jacks but the bend on my car is in the middle to rear of the car is there a particular place that is stronger than the other ?
You know, to be honest, I wouldn't even worry about it. I've had lots of cars that either I or someone got sloppy with a jack and bent these things. (Only reason I know what it is.... one of my lead techs explained it to me waaaay back in the day).

If, for some reason, you hear something creaking or actually FEEL undue flex then maybe something to worry about. Or, if your car won't wheel align even after installing suspension adjusters then MAYBE its time to be concerned.

And yes, the strongest points are at the jacking points on any car using this approach, at the leading edge aft of the front wheel and just ahead of the rear. That's by design obviously. A mid point bend, ehhhh.... can't imagine it'd manifest itself into anything bad. Sure, anything can happen but I really doubt it.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Hunter1212125

You know, to be honest, I wouldn't even worry about it. I've had lots of cars that either I or someone got sloppy with a jack and bent these things. (Only reason I know what it is.... one of my lead techs explained it to me waaaay back in the day).

If, for some reason, you hear something creaking or actually FEEL undue flex then maybe something to worry about. Or, if your car won't wheel align even after installing suspension adjusters then MAYBE its time to be concerned.

And yes, the strongest points are at the jacking points on any car using this approach, at the leading edge aft of the front wheel and just ahead of the rear. That's by design obviously. A mid point bend, ehhhh.... can't imagine it'd manifest itself into anything bad. Sure, anything can happen but I really doubt it.
ok cool once agian thanks for all the help i really apricaite it hopefully its nothing and i can juat forget its there haha. I assume you have a 350z ?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

ok cool once agian thanks for all the help i really apricaite it hopefully its nothing and i can juat forget its there haha. I assume you have a 350z ?
Ummm, yeah.

See .sig....