Notices
370Z Roadster General discussion for the 2010 370Z Roadster

Easy Convertible Top Strap Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 AM
roadmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Convertible Top Strap Fix

After reading many strap threads and responses, I went out to my garage. I found some small bungee cords I had never used. The elastic part is 8 to 9 inches and from hook to hook about 11 to 11.5 inches.

I threaded the hook ends between the top and the bars right next to the old strap, then hooked the bungee ends together. Did it with 2 bungees, one on each side. Put them on the inside of the old strap. Once hooked, the bungee was snug but had a little stretch left in it.

Then I tried putting down the top. Unlike before, hesitating and struggling, the top went down without a hitch. I would say they worked but how long I don't know.

This is a very, very easy short term solution to the problem. Even fixing with new OEM straps, rivets, etc., the new straps are said to loose elasticity after a while. I live in Oklahoma and our top down days are seasonal, so I will buy a supply of these little bungee cords and replace them as often as needed whenever the elasticity has gone.
Attached Thumbnails Easy Convertible Top Strap Fix-easystrap.jpg  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:07 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am guessing you wanted this in the 03-09 roadster section.

Anyway, I did the same thing like a month ago, I had purchased a set of "bungees in a bottle" from Home Depot, and it came with 8 of the mini bungees that were lying around my workshop. While I was removing the original straps I was thinking there had to be a better way, the rivets, plates and flimsy OEM system just sux.
I went to the local crafts store, and bought some 3 inch wide heavy duty elastic, some fabric rivets, heavy duty thread, and some nylon strap. My idea was to have my mom who is a seamstress, sew up some new straps that snap and zip tie on instead of using rivets,making it easier to replace years down the road.
Back to the point, I used the bungees to test how well my idea would work - I used 2 bungees on each side (4 in total). When I opened the top, it worked better than it ever has - no hesitation or slowing or getting stuck at all.

So my temp solution is still on the car, and my grand idea is on the back burner. The only extra thing I did was I used heat shrink on the ends of the bungees so the cords dont separate when the top is down. This took all of 5 minutes, and when the bungees loosen it will take the same 5 minutes to replace them.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow, but there isnt really much to see.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 AM
roadmax

My update: 9-22-15

The bungees work, and well, but I wanted to try one more fix.

Went to fabric store, bought 2 36 inch lengths of 2 inch elastic straps and a yard of tough 2 inch velcro.

Cut each strap to 35 inches, doubled to 17.5 inches, sewed on 2.5 inch length of 2 inch velcro on each end, circumference result was 15 inches.

Left old strap in place, put new strap around it, fastened the velcro firm, on each side, then tried the top. Went down without a hitch.

When top is up I loosen the strap so elastic is not pulled. Just before taking the top down I tighten the strap. I think this will result in a long life for my straps.

My only change would be to reduce the length from 17.5 inches to 16.5 inches, thus reducing the circumference from 15 to 14 inches.

WISHED SOMEONE WOULD MOVE THIS TO THE 350 SECTION.

Last edited by roadmax; 09-22-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:52 AM
maui1girl

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadmax
After reading many strap threads and responses, I went out to my garage. I found some small bungee cords I had never used. The elastic part is 8 to 9 inches and from hook to hook about 11 to 11.5 inches.

I threaded the hook ends between the top and the bars right next to the old strap, then hooked the bungee ends together. Did it with 2 bungees, one on each side. Put them on the inside of the old strap. Once hooked, the bungee was snug but had a little stretch left in it.

Then I tried putting down the top. Unlike before, hesitating and struggling, the top went down without a hitch. I would say they worked but how long I don't know.

This is a very, very easy short term solution to the problem. Even fixing with new OEM straps, rivets, etc., the new straps are said to loose elasticity after a while. I live in Oklahoma and our top down days are seasonal, so I will buy a supply of these little bungee cords and replace them as often as needed whenever the elasticity has gone.
This is also a great suggestion to help troubleshoot top issues before purchasing replacement parts
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM
msk59

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct. I am a relatively new owner of a 2006 roadster and even though my top is working fine the straps are getting loose. It seems like they are loosing their elasticity. So I search the web and eBay has the cheapest replacement straps (OEM) for 65.99 per side. The local dealer is even higher. On You Tube there is a short video of some gentleman took Velcro and tighten the elastic springs to they do not stretch more than they should and that works too. But I like OP's idea for elastic and fabric but instead of zip ties use rivets for a cleaner look.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:09 AM
curth

Originally Posted by msk59
Correct. I am a relatively new owner of a 2006 roadster and even though my top is working fine the straps are getting loose. It seems like they are loosing their elasticity. So I search the web and eBay has the cheapest replacement straps (OEM) for 65.99 per side. The local dealer is even higher. On You Tube there is a short video of some gentleman took Velcro and tighten the elastic springs to they do not stretch more than they should and that works too. But I like OP's idea for elastic and fabric but instead of zip ties use rivets for a cleaner look.
Just started having this problem on a used 350Z we just bought. Found this solution that seemed reasonable and pretty cheap - https://spyderbands.com/shop-products
Old 08-05-2021, 08:01 PM
curth

Update 08/05/21 - Spyderbands came yesterday, the repair was easy and took less than 10 minutes total. Didn't watch the video again so took 5 minutes for the first one, mostly to figure out the band wrapping direction, and the 2nd side took maybe 1 minute. I highly recommend the solution.