MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   2-way/3-way speaker question? (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/10237-2-way-3-way-speaker-question.html)

Stone Z 11-04-2002 12:33 PM

2-way/3-way speaker question?

Can someone explain the difference between a 2-way and a 3-way speaker and why I would want one over the other? I'm not looking to install separates, just replace the factory speakers with upgrades.

Thanks

imntcrzy 11-04-2002 08:13 PM

2 way has tweeter and mid driver

3 way has tweet mid-bass and mid-range driver

also coaxial has tweeter mounted on mid driver

factory is 2 way system

Stone Z 11-05-2002 02:32 AM

Which one is more efficeint and normally sounds better?

imntcrzy 11-05-2002 12:07 PM

three way sounds better, but will require a custom install of some sort.

if you want to keep "stock look" I would go with a 2 way component system and mount the speakers in the stock locations. The 350 is a 2 way system.

Da Gimp 11-05-2002 12:45 PM

Would I be correct in assuming that if I have a sub in the hatch then I wouldn't want 3-way in the doors?

imntcrzy 11-05-2002 01:41 PM

somewhat correct..... but normally a sub is just low end bass usually cut off about maybe 70 or 80hz.... if you have a three way (tweet- for highs, midrange- for vocals, mid-bass for kick drums et cetera , and sub for bass. I don't use the sub for just that boom boom sound you hear down the street. When tuned in well for the rest of the speakers a sub will add warmth and depth to the music. Imagine the vocals with that low hum coming from that diaphram... that what you will add with a sub. The major benifit to a 3 way system is that each speaker is playing only a narrow range of music specifically made for each driver.

Shalin soccer rules! just hope miramax doesn't screw it up

Da Gimp 11-05-2002 03:50 PM

My sub cuts off at 120, so I guess I would still need the 3-way speakers to handle the frequencies between 120 and the midrange. I could put a little crossover on them so that they dont handle the really low stuff.

imntcrzy 11-05-2002 03:55 PM

if you want a 2 way system can be crossed that low ..... but a 3 way would be better.... but the install will have to be very custom.... it will sound great though.

Stone Z 11-05-2002 04:16 PM

I'm referring to coaxial speakers, not seperates.

I posted this question to a car audio message board, and 90% of the responses favored a 2-way coaxial over a 3-way.

Now I'm confused.....are you telling me that a 3-way speaker would require modification? I don't see how if the speaker depth of the two is the same?

imntcrzy 11-05-2002 04:44 PM

let me clarify....

coaxial speaker has tweeter mounted on bass driver... (2 speakers total)

2 way has seperate tweeter and driver (4 speakers total)

3 way has 1 tweeter and 1 midrange and 1 mid bass (6 speakers total)

the only reason why anyone would tell you coax is better is possibly the ease of install. if you just look at price 2 way is more expensive than coax and 3 way is more than 2 way. go to sounddomain.com... they are usually very knowlegdable

Stone Z 11-05-2002 04:53 PM

Originally posted by imntcrzy
let me clarify....

coaxial speaker has tweeter mounted on bass driver... (2 speakers total)

2 way has seperate tweeter and driver (4 speakers total)

3 way has 1 tweeter and 1 midrange and 1 mid bass (6 speakers total)

the only reason why anyone would tell you coax is better is possibly the ease of install. if you just look at price 2 way is more expensive than coax and 3 way is more than 2 way. go to sounddomain.com... they are usually very knowlegdable

Let me apologize.....I think I've confused you by not stating that I wanted to know what the difference between a 2-way and a way coaxial is and which one I should go with. I do know that seperates are quite a bit better than a coaxial and that's not what the car audio board was referring to, they were referring to coaxials.

So, having gotten that out of the way, which will be better replacements for the factory speakers....2-way or 3-way coaxials?

Thanks!

imntcrzy 11-05-2002 05:11 PM

in depth answer....

coax

pros
1 easier install
2 tweeter is on same plane as driver.... improves soundstage and imaging
3 price

cons
1 crossover tends to be less quality
2 individual components within coax tend to be less quality
3 smaller drivers

2 way

pros
1 better tweeter
2 better crossover
3 larger drivers more sound control
4 better quality drivers

cons
1 price
2 install costs more plus you have to mount crossover
3 tweeter placement can be crucial, but you can mount in factory stock location.

also a 2 way system is very easy to make look "stock"

hope this helps

Stone Z 11-05-2002 05:39 PM

I'm still not getting the answer I'm looking for.

What is the difference between a 2-way *coaxial* and a 3-way *coaxial*, and why should I choose one over the other?

I'm not concerned with seperates...I know their quality and why they're better than a coaxial.

imntcrzy 11-05-2002 06:27 PM

ok sorry .... in theory 3 way coax would be better, the problem is the midrange on the 3 way coax is very small and may cause vocals to not have a full sound.... I guess that's why they prefer 2 way coax

http://www.focal-america.com/catalog/Access/165ca.htm

check this one out

Hereje0 11-07-2002 07:42 PM

If this helps i have three way 6.5 coaxials in front and rear of my current car and also have aftermarket tweeters high on the doors near the dash and it sounds amazing. Personally if you have the money i'd say go with that setup. Thats just my opinion though