Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Satellite Radio in my Z, Maxima, and Home. Sirrus or XM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
mjk138s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried them both and Sirius is definitely the future of satellite radio...no more channels...but better quality channels. Anyone had problems though dropping signals in their Z ? Had it to the dealer 4 times now in 6 months of owning the darn thing !... going on my 3rd receiver, 2nd antenna, CRAZY !! They gave me a rental this time just like da Z .....a Suzuki Forenza !!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:46 PM
mjk138s

zzz
Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 PM
md1400cs

I am so happy to pay for TV and Radio. To me it is now really free; free of commercials, free of pathetically stupid story lines that will pass network censors and advertisers sensibilities, free of commercials every eight minutes, free to see nudity if required for a story (or not), free of stupid PG language, when it should not be PG,

Free to listen to REALLY good and eclectic music rather than the music those pathetic FM stations would never play because it doesn't fit into some format, rotation or payola scheme.

I had to drive to SF from the LA area recently. It was so nice having satellite radio in the car. Even with the iPod available it was great having subscription radio. PS: SIRI will just keep going up, now is a good time guys!!

I still watch commercial ridden TV. Shows such as 24, Nip/tuck are excellent. But I agree with several of you, subscription radio is the future. I love it. You would never see shows such as Sleeper Cell, Deadwood, Rome, and so many more on “free” TV.

Look how good TV has become since cable (now satellite, with a lot of HD stations). Dish will add ten HD chanels in early 06 for a total of about 28.
This post is all over the place, but you get my drift LOL
MJD
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 AM
cbrflyer919

Had them both....SIRIUS ALL THE WAY!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 AM
netminder32

I have had them both too...am leaning toward Sirius..(not because
of Howard...lol)..the dealership is telling me they no longer have
access to the OEM antenna, for either sat. provider.

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
jpm_fan

Originally Posted by dave079
I have XM and love it. XM is doing much better than Sirius also sales wise by far. I believe their sales are close to 3 XM units to every Sirius unit. Sirius has done some not so good business moves with paying so much money for talent such as Stern 500million and Martha Stewart several million a year. Stern is washed up. I used to listen to him and he used to be great but he is awful now. Does nothing but complain about everything. O&A are much better.
Who on Earth told you this? I suggest you stop by Best Buy, Circuit City or any other store and ask them. They are all reporting that they can hardly keep Sirius receivers in stock. And no, it's not a supply problem. People are buying Sirius radios left and right. Do you work at XM? O&A are Stern hacks.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:57 AM
netminder32

I have had them both too...am leaning toward Sirius..(not because
of Howard...lol)..the dealership is telling me they no longer have
access to the OEM antenna, for either sat. provider.

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 12-22-2005, 10:42 AM
ampm24

I also had both. I started with XM right when they came out. I got a sirius free trial a little while ago, and I stuck with my XM. Besides the fact that in my opinion, it's a better company with a better foothold on the market, and has far better equipment, I like the XM programing a little better. Although lately they pulled one of my favorite dance channels. I mostly listen to O&A anyway. I don't listen to sports so that wasn't a factor. It's going to come down to personal taste. I suggest you try to free trials of both and see which one offers more of what you enjoy. It's hard to go in without bias though.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by Kaitain
XM:

Pros -
Sounds a little better than Sirius.
Has better equipment.
Opie & Anthony, Howard Stern ripoffs but still funny.

Cons -
Its music and DJs are a little lame. It's really no different than the cr4ppy radio that has destroyed old timey radio.
Is partly owned by Clear Channel Communications (aka The Devil). Regardless of what has been said about CCC selling it's shares, they just put it in a holding company because CCC has such a negative image they had to hide the fact that they are part owners.

Sirius:

Pros-
Howard Stern, Howard Stern, oh, and Howard Stern.
Has some of the best DJs in the industry.
Has much, much better (read broader and less cookie cutter) playlists and DJs.

Cons -
Sound isn't quite as good as XM's but you probably won't notice it because neither of them have really good sound. If you're an audiophile you won't be happy with the quality of the music sound.
Is at least a generation behind in its hardware and it really shows but they are quickly catching up.

------

I own a few Sirius radios and the primary reason I went with Sirius is Howard Stern. Now that I have it I can't live without it; I about went mental when I had it out of my car for a day when I was doing some software development for the unit.
I have Sirius and I am also an audiophile. While it's true niether XM or Sirius sound quality is equal to CD, they're both better than FM radio. It took some getting use to but I've actually really enjoyed it and I play everything really, really loud.

Oh, and Howard Stern!

Sorry, I can't really recommend a portable but I'll be watching since I'm interested in adding something in the house as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

All I have to say is:

XM... Pfff. Get Sirius.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:44 PM
n666

just got sirius recently.. it's great.. good playlists.. i'm still trying to find some funny talk show..

i find myself listening to a bunch of AM guys still.. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty and Michael Savage.

Anyway.. another + for sirius is that a lot of kenwood devices are sirius ready .. and kenwood rocks *****!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Clarion as well is Sirius Ready... But Alpine accepts both XM & Sirius now.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:53 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Alpine accepts both XM & Sirius now.
Pioneer as well.