MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   Installin Remote Start, Can't Find Tachometer Wire (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/161267-installin-remote-start-cant-find-tachometer-wire.html)

emir 12-27-2005 12:02 PM

Installin Remote Start, Can't Find Tachometer Wire

Hey what's goin on guys. When i was installing my remote start, right when i started to install it, the car wouldn't freaking start. I don't know if this is a safety mechanism or something, but i just went ahead and didn't old school instead of messing with the BCM and ran a wire straight to the starter. If you guys have any suggestions on why my car wouldn't start please let me know. Another problem i ran into is that i cannot find the tachometer wire. IF anyone knows this information please pm or post. Thanks guys

kcobean 12-27-2005 12:21 PM

In most modern day cars, you don't need a Tach wire. I know on the remote-start unit I bought for my wife's Navigator, the tach-wire is only for cars with hard-start problems. I wouldn't "short cut" any of the other wiring and wiring locations since the remote start has to "work around" several other systems and being wired into the system at the appropriate locations is crucial.

KTaylor 12-27-2005 02:24 PM

is a remote start on a manuel car bad?

NINJA-Z 12-27-2005 02:48 PM

ummmmm be careful

A friend of mine has a S2000 and it has remoted start, to make a long story short be careful if your car is manual, he accidentally mashed the button putting his keys in his pocket and the car ended up running into his house.

kcobean 12-27-2005 03:08 PM

Yep, installing remote-start on a manual is just asking for trouble UNLESS you fabricate a sensor up to detect the car being in anything other than neutral. Not sure how you'd do that though.....Safest bet is to not do it.

GreenE69s 12-27-2005 05:53 PM

your car needs the chip from your key to be able to start it's a security thing...so you may want to check if the remote starter has something where you can place your valet key in....

I have a remote start for my manual transmission Z... and it does detect if the car is on Neutral otherwise it won't start. very convienent feature, especially in extreme (hot or cold) weather.

emir 12-27-2005 11:21 PM

I have all the wires installed with the exception of the security wire that ties to the tach. I would need to find out which wire to tap into in order for the alarm to stop starting the car. Some of the other forums state its a blue wire tied at the ignition coils. Which wire does you alarm tie into to recognize the tach and what's the model and make of the alarrm.

Thanks

KPierson 12-29-2005 04:44 PM

To get a good tach signal go to one of the fuel injectors. They'll take a second to get to, but its not that bad. If you can get a hold of the service manual you can find the fuel injector wire at the ECU under the passengers dash.

Did you use both starter wires, and separate them? You will run in to problems if you only use one starter wire or tie both of them together.

Also, did you install the transponder bypass correctly? It may be the OEM security system shutting the car down/preventing it from running. Also, make sure that the bypass is wired to ONLY work when the remote start is activated, and not all the time. If the ECU detects two keys you'll have problems.

Remote starts on manual trannys in the newer Nissans/Infinitis isn't dangerous at all, if done right. Nissan incorporates a PNP switch (Park/Neutral Position) to detect no prevent no load over rev conditions. You can tap this wire to tell the RS unit when the car is in N and when its out of gear. Factory installed neutral safety switch, can't get much safer then that.

KPierson 12-29-2005 04:46 PM

Oh, also, tach wires should ALWAYS be used. It is the best way for the remote start unit to monitor engine activity. If the tach wire is used most RS units will monitor the motor and shut the car off if the RPMs rise above a certain point, a great feature. Also, the starter will only crank long enough for the car to start, no longer.

Units that use voltage sense may work sometimes, but are fairly unreliable, especially in colder areas (like Ohio where I live).