Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

xm radio sound quality is worse than FM!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 AM
beggohbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xm radio sound quality is worse than FM!

I haven't seen a lot of threads about this particular topic, but I just all my stereo components installed - including Avic D1 + XM tuner - and I honestly think the SQ on the XM source is just terrible. The sound is clear but it lacks a lot of the mid-high range and just sounds empty. By comparison the FM radio and CD sound 10x better.... its so bad, I'm considering cancelling my subscription. I love the wide variety of content but I just can't stand listening to it!

All very suprising to me since XM is marketed as "digital CD-quality" music and that's exactly what I was expecting. Am I the only one who feels this way??

Opinions? Suggestions?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 AM
maturola

Default AVIC-Z1 and XM Tuner

Well, It may be your installed some how or you tuner, I haven't use the Pioneer XM tuner yet (I ordered the AVIC-Z1 and the XM tuner) I will let you know when I installed, However I currently have the Sky2 from Delphi and I'm using an FM modulator adn I tell you it sound "BETTER" than regular FM, i get some noise once in awhile but it's comming fomr the FM modulation not the XM reception.

My wife had a factory Honda Accord XM radio installed and Sound is really good , is CD-quality.

So i tell you unless there is problem with the "Pioneer" tuner itself. Maybe you install, the antenna is not totally clear or some hot power cables are near the antenna.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
beggohbee

Originally Posted by maturola
Well, It may be your installed some how or you tuner, I haven't use the Pioneer XM tuner yet (I ordered the AVIC-Z1 and the XM tuner) I will let you know when I installed, However I currently have the Sky2 from Delphi and I'm using an FM modulator adn I tell you it sound "BETTER" than regular FM, i get some noise once in awhile but it's comming fomr the FM modulation not the XM reception.

My wife had a factory Honda Accord XM radio installed and Sound is really good , is CD-quality.

So i tell you unless there is problem with the "Pioneer" tuner itself. Maybe you install, the antenna is not totally clear or some hot power cables are near the antenna.
I don't think its a reception issue. My HU shows a very strong signal, and the quality problems I'm talking about don't concern external noise. I think it has more to do with the way they compress their audio to fit it for transmission.... again the sound is very clear, just lacks any depth.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It used to be pretty good, but over the last year or so they have added a bunch of channels. They have a limited ammount of bandwidth and every time they add one channel, it degrades the stream of the rest. Right now everything has the quality of a 96k MP3 file. You really can hear the compression now, even on a low end set. I am about to cancel both of my subscriptions too because of it.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:05 PM
zmotion

FM < XM < CD

The compression isn't at CD level. You won't win any SQ contests tuned to "Soul Street". That's just the way it is.....
Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
beggohbee

Originally Posted by zmotion
FM < XM < CD

The compression isn't at CD level. You won't win any SQ contests tuned to "Soul Street". That's just the way it is.....
Well if FM < XM was true, I think I'd be satisfied. My XM sounds like somewhere between FM and AM, minus the static.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
zmotion

Something is wrong with your tuner then. If it's stil under warranty I would have the shop try again or something....

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Ichigo

You never mentioned how your xm is connected to your radio..

Are you using a portable unit?
Exactly what XM tuner are you using?
Where is your XM antenae mounted?
Old 07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
beggohbee

Are you using a portable unit? Yes?
Exactly what XM tuner are you using? Pioneer GEX-P10XMT
Where is your XM antenae mounted? on the passenger side of the dash

Sounds quality is definitely subjective, but I doubt its the installation. I'm getting a clear, consistent signal that doesn't fade, drop, or behave in any way to make me believe improper installation is at the root cause.

I hope the nav traffic is worth the money... otherwise I should've just skipped out on buying the unit at all!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I use the Pioneer GEX-P10XMT with my touch screen and have had no problems with sound quality. I do not know what to tell you.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Ichigo

That is meant for a head unit. But at least that tells me your not using FM modulation to get the sound from the XM to the radio.

Since it doesnt cost anything, try mounting the antenae to the oustside of the vehicle, thats what the manual indicates. If your getting the nav traffic the GPS antenae can be mounted inside, but the regulalr xm antenae should always be on the outside. It's worth a try if you like the service.

BTW I cancelled my navtraffic service, it blew chunks in my area.

XM recently launched another satellite to compensate for the additional channels I believe they have 3 now Rock, Rythym, and Roll are the names of each (like anyone cares)

Last edited by Ichigo; 07-19-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
JimRHIT

I have the same setup/tuner are I agree ... XM radio is pure crap in terms of sound quality.

My FM sounds better than it.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a difference and thank you for noticing. All modern music (last 15 years or so) is highly compressed in loudness. The dynamic range is about 10 dB in most music I've seen sampled where as 20 years ago that might have been 20 dB, and 30 years ago that might have been 40 dB. Now we're also using lossy compression formats to reduce the bit rate required for the music stream to get more music over each satellite transponder.

XM is highly compressed.

CD's are not compressed (much) and are likely the best source of music most of us now have access to. SACD's are even better and on a good system make a difference.

FM radio is not compressed and is very closely equal to the source of the music but ... many FM stations will run their music though some sort of audio processing to tweak the sound to their taste. Many will boost the hell out of the lower frequencies amplitudes by 10-20 dB completely changing the music producer's design. They'll also use compressor/limiters to make the music as loud as possible again changing the product. Some will even run the music faster by a few percent in order to play just as much music with even more commercials. These digital processors can do amazing things to the music in the right hands ... and murder that same music in the wrong ones. Many small to mid-market stations don't have the engineering talent to get these things right and really ought to leave their Orban FMs in the default range.