Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Kicks Vs. Door Pods

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 PM
pierced5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azula
pierced, i must say that you are the first i've seen with an inverted sub in that manner. very nice install. i am having kicks built as well, did they fabricate off of your stock kicks or are those from scratch?

Thanks, it just made sense to me as it afforded the least loss of trunk space. The kicks were fabricated using the stock kicks. One of the criteria I gave my installer was that I wanted to be able to retain the stock mounting points/clips of the kick panels. I watched the construction of the kick panels from start to finish and it was easy as hell. Had I known that I would have made them myself. The only thing I don't think I could have pulled off as well is the vinyl covering.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM
dannichols

I think you have done a great job on the install and have an excellent choice of components. But when you say "least" amount of trunk space how's that? Mounting the sub standard way with a 2" ring riser would have used less space no? Vertically I mean there. Or even mounting it in front of the strut bar with a Zenclosure type would allow you to pack more in the trunk than now no?

Originally Posted by pierced5
Thanks, it just made sense to me as it afforded the least loss of trunk space. The kicks were fabricated using the stock kicks. One of the criteria I gave my installer was that I wanted to be able to retain the stock mounting points/clips of the kick panels. I watched the construction of the kick panels from start to finish and it was easy as hell. Had I known that I would have made them myself. The only thing I don't think I could have pulled off as well is the vinyl covering.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:44 PM
pierced5

Originally Posted by dannichols
I think you have done a great job on the install and have an excellent choice of components. But when you say "least" amount of trunk space how's that? Mounting the sub standard way with a 2" ring riser would have used less space no? Vertically I mean there. Or even mounting it in front of the strut bar with a Zenclosure type would allow you to pack more in the trunk than now no?
Due to the mounting depth of the 10W6 when installed conventionally it requires a false floor to be constructed. 6.9" + .5"-.75" cooling below magnet + 1.5" of MDF creates a tall box. Trust me, I built that box and my finished trunk depth would have been about 5" deep. As for the Zenclosure, it would have fit, but it would have protruded into the area between the rear speakers and strut bar and I didn't want to lose that space. The 2" ring riser would have worked, never crosse my mind. Guess I wasn't thinking "outside the box". I like the way things have turned out so far though. Any vehicle that comes with a diagram showing you how to fit two sets of golf clubs definately requires some planning when it comes to trunk space. Thanks for the reply and I will continue to post pics. I will also be adding a "lessons learned" from my sound deadening project with some tips and tricks that may be helpful.

Last edited by pierced5; 11-22-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:37 PM
jdohman

Nice looking box. If you want to know what would really set it off. I did the same thing in a g35 a few years back. Go get a extra thick 350z mat from the dealer. Line up the hole for the woofer and cut it out. That would really look nice with it sticking out.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 PM
pierced5

Originally Posted by jdohman
Nice looking box. If you want to know what would really set it off. I did the same thing in a g35 a few years back. Go get a extra thick 350z mat from the dealer. Line up the hole for the woofer and cut it out. That would really look nice with it sticking out.
I have the mat ready for cutting. It's on my list of things to do. I'm still working on the sound deadening. Before I cut the carpet/mat I planned on hooking everything up and ensuring I get the sound I am looking for before making any cuts. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 12 in front of the strut bar with the Zenclosure box, it sounded like crap untill i put it behind the bar.