MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   Step-By- Step Instructions on Replacing OEM Battery With An Optima Yellow Top... (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/277217-step-by-step-instructions-on-replacing-oem-battery-with-an-optima-yellow-top.html)

VO... 11-15-2007 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jamaicanj
Excellent write up.

Anyone know the difference between the boxed yelowtop and the unboxed yellow top battery??

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Nice guide. I need to get another yellow top myself.

Thanks fellas.

Jamaican, I'm not sure I understand your question.:confused:

jamaicanj 11-15-2007 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by vo7848
Thanks fellas.

Jamaican, I'm not sure I understand your question.:confused:

I am a bit confused myself. I went to the optima website and spotted 2 different D35 batteries for the 350z. The only difference between the 2 in the product description is that one is "boxed" and the other "unboxed"

Actually after comparing the pics from this post, the unboxed one was used. I just had no clue as to what the boxed one was...

VO... 11-15-2007 12:07 PM

I am a bit confused myself. I went to the optima website and spotted 2 different D35 batteries for the 350z. The only difference between the 2 in the product description is that one is "boxed" and the other "unboxed"

Actually after comparing the pics from this post, the unboxed one was used. I just had no clue as to what the boxed one was...

Send me a link. I'm curious...

jamaicanj 11-15-2007 08:19 PM

Send me a link. I'm curious...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/find_your_battery/

Go to the optima website...go to find battery by car...

and 4 choices come up after inputing in my instance 2003 nissan 350z...

2 for the yellow top and 2 for the red top

the only difference that I can find between each of the color specific batteries has been the boxed/unboxed designation.

VO... 11-16-2007 06:51 AM

http://www.optimabatteries.com/find_your_battery/

Go to the optima website...go to find battery by car...

and 4 choices come up after inputing in my instance 2003 nissan 350z...

2 for the yellow top and 2 for the red top

the only difference that I can find between each of the color specific batteries has been the boxed/unboxed designation.

I looked at it. I can't tell what the difference is either, but they both have the exact same specs and dimension:

YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; Grp. D35; Cold Crank Amps 650; Crank Amps 810; Reserve Capacity 98; Amp Hour 48; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 13/16 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just go with the one I purchased. We have the same make/model/year car, so it'll work...

jamaicanj 11-18-2007 01:06 PM

I looked at it. I can't tell what the difference is either, but they both have the exact same specs and dimension:

YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; Grp. D35; Cold Crank Amps 650; Crank Amps 810; Reserve Capacity 98; Amp Hour 48; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 13/16 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just go with the one I purchased. We have the same make/model/year car, so it'll work...

My brother called Optima and they said that there is no difference other than one is physically in a box (to be removed from the box) and the other is simply not in a box. I was looking for a difference when there was none.

Thanks for the help

jamaicanj 11-18-2007 01:11 PM

I put in my D35 earlier today and I have to once again thank you for the pics and tips. The most useful tip was wedging the black plastic trim at the base of the windshield with a screwdriver in order to get the necessary clearance for the battery removal.

Your post has saved me from a bunch of frustration

VO... 11-19-2007 07:38 AM

I put in my D35 earlier today and I have to once again thank you for the pics and tips. The most useful tip was wedging the black plastic trim at the base of the windshield with a screwdriver in order to get the necessary clearance for the battery removal.

Your post has saved me from a bunch of frustration

No prob guy. :thumbup2: I'm glad I could remove all the guess work out and help someone out...

jcastino 11-27-2007 07:42 AM

Just a quick note to Thank the Author for doing a superb job on this. I used all of this information last night while replacing my battery. And I'm not a Mechanic by any stretch so the information along with all the Pics was very useful. Thanks for all your effort of this!

VO... 11-27-2007 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by jcastino
Just a quick note to Thank the Author for doing a superb job on this. I used all of this information last night while replacing my battery. And I'm not a Mechanic by any stretch so the information along with all the Pics was very useful. Thanks for all your effort of this!

No prob guy. :thumbup2: I'm glad everything worked out for ya.

Val

JokerDev 12-08-2007 08:53 AM

Thanks to Val for a great write up. Changed my battery this morning-only took about 30 mins. Step by step instructions were very helpful.
Now to use the other thread instructions to clean out my window motor:bang:
Couple of notes:
The cheapest place I found the battery was Amazon-$175 shipped
I did not need the shims as the terminals seemed to fit just fine on my '04

VO... 12-12-2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JokerDev
Thanks to Val for a great write up. Changed my battery this morning-only took about 30 mins. Step by step instructions were very helpful.
Now to use the other thread instructions to clean out my window motor:bang:
Couple of notes:
The cheapest place I found the battery was Amazon-$175 shipped
I did not need the shims as the terminals seemed to fit just fine on my '04

:thumbup2:

Abishop 12-29-2007 10:57 AM

Thanks Vo! this helped me a ton! Did you you do anything different with this battery in the winter time or when its in storage?

SuperBlack350z 12-29-2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Abishop
Thanks Vo! this helped me a ton! Did you you do anything different with this battery in the winter time or when its in storage?

this battery will always crank, even through three months of cold winter.

k6750gsxr 12-30-2007 05:16 PM

just did this today..... make sure you get a d35 battery not a d34 ..... i made the mistake....i went to advance auto parts bought a new one ..... a d35 this time .... and returned my d34 to them.... that way i didnt have to wait for it to ship back for the store i bought it from to replace ..... easy install though..

VO... 01-02-2008 08:51 AM

+1. Deep cycle dry cell batteries FTW...

VO... 01-02-2008 08:53 AM

Last week I searched the Audio/Video section for a few hours, cyphering through almost 60 threads trying to educate myself on the Optima Yellow Top battery specifically. You see, I was looking for this battery specifically because it fit all the criteria I was looking for. Deep cycle, weight was not a factor, the ability to be discharged 100% with little risk of battery damage, ability to run over 1000 watts of audio equipment with the vehicle off, & ease of swap with the OEM battery. What I found was the Optima Yellow Top model D35.

Originally Posted by k6750gsxr
just did this today..... make sure you get a d35 battery not a d34 ..... i made the mistake....i went to advance auto parts bought a new one ..... a d35 this time .... and returned my d34 to them.... that way i didnt have to wait for it to ship back for the store i bought it from to replace ..... easy install though..

What happened? :confused: :icon17:

HondaKiller 01-02-2008 08:59 AM

the difference between the batteries is one is a reverse top optima battery(the one you need) and the other is a standard optima. Since our battery is on the opposite side as most cars, our terminals are on the opposite side of the battery. if you do not purchase the reverse top your wires coming off the car will not reach the terminals on the battery. I found this out the hard way with my red top. Anyways, nice write up. :tip:

Jay'Z 01-02-2008 08:59 AM

Good write up.. Installed my Redtop last year but.. I always disconnected neg terminal first.. I dont think u fixed it all in your instructions.. :) Other than that cool stuff.....

onecoolee 01-08-2008 03:49 AM

Wish I could say the same... my $200 Optima Yellow top has gone bad after about 8,000 miles and a little over a year. It has a dead cell, and reads 10.2-10.4V after charging. MY Z sits for 6 months a year, but I use a battery tender to trickle charge the battery when its sitting... this is disappointing, and I won't be replacing it with another POS Optima, unless they do it for free, which I don't think they are goign to. I am looking at an Interstate Megatron or something more reliable.

Also, in case people didn't know...the Yellow top only carries a 1 year warranty, then the next year is prorated--so they only warrant he yellow top for 2 years TOTAL, and consider it garbage after those 2 years...so, my 13 month old battery is close to worthless according to Optima now. I am hoping they will give me something back, but I am leary of getting another after this experience.