MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   Factory Navigation or Aftermarket Navigation System? (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/28265-factory-navigation-or-aftermarket-navigation-system.html)

danchou 05-04-2003 05:58 PM

Factory Navigation or Aftermarket Navigation System?

I have a choice of getting a touring model with the factory navigation or without it. All other options are the same. The money is not the issue. The actual problem i am wondering about is that if the factory navigation is worth it, because i will install a aftermarket audio system and i hear it has problems working well with an aftermarket audio system. The other option is the kenwood navigation with the 8inch touch screen, i think i could even play dvd's and attach the dvd unit to the screen with the navigation unit. Are their any options in the factory navi that can not be obtained through a aftermarket navi. I am wondering if the Factory navigation system is linked with the ecu and can let you reset or view some info on the car. Thx for answering my questions.

Rob Nance 05-05-2003 01:19 AM

Re: Factory Navigation or Aftermarket Navigation System?

Originally posted by danchou
I have a choice of getting a touring model with the factory navigation or without it. All other options are the same. The money is not the issue. The actual problem i am wondering about is that if the factory navigation is worth it, because i will install a aftermarket audio system and i hear it has problems working well with an aftermarket audio system. The other option is the kenwood navigation with the 8inch touch screen, i think i could even play dvd's and attach the dvd unit to the screen with the navigation unit. Are their any options in the factory navi that can not be obtained through a aftermarket navi. I am wondering if the Factory navigation system is linked with the ecu and can let you reset or view some info on the car. Thx for answering my questions.
I'm not positive how, but it does have maintenance and oil change info in the stock navigation.

Ok, your question is tough, I will answer my part. If I didn't answer this the audio junkies would tell you to definitely get the aftermarket navigation...but 99% of them have never used the stock nav and/or are trying to justify their own purchases. The stock navigation is really rare to find. I fought tooth and nail to get my car with the stock navigation. My salesman kept saying, "we can find you a touring with all the options you want, except the nav, in a heartbeat, and install an Alpine for the same price the day we get it". I kept telling him no. I had used the stock nav in a G35 4 door extensively, same unit, and loved it. The birds eye view is not something you can find on any aftermarket unit anyone has been able to show me. Everyone that rides in my car falls in love with birds eye view. Instead of looking straight down on a 2D map, like you would with a paper map, birds eye view puts you at about a 30 to 45% angle view looking forward and down the direction you are going. You can get a real sense of presence, and it's so easy to navigate like this. The NAV itself, works flawlessly, and has 99% of the businesses I have put in for "points of interest". I could not be happier with the stock nav, and everyone I have talked to feels the same way so far. I have not met an unhappy stock nav owner yet, on the board or in person. I'm sure someone will step in and comment on that.

So now for the audio guys. I know people have gotten the stock nav working fine with aftermarket stereos, so hopefully some that have had trouble, and some who have gotten it to work will all chime in.

mrsnetpro 05-05-2003 02:07 AM

I have the nav, and when I was talking to a local audio expert, he said the issue with it is that the nav is tied into the radio and any upgrades would cost a lot more because of how it is wired. In fact, the volume is automatically lowered when the nav is in use. That is the only drawback to it, as once it tells me "in a half mile" or "in a mile keep to the left followed by a keep to the left" it seems to jump in three more times before the "event".

I will "settle" for upgrading the speakers, but leave the rest as is.

all_bark 05-05-2003 08:38 AM

Get it without and add it in as aftermarket.

heres why:

factory nav = $2000.00

aftermarket kit comes with DVD, MPEG, Navigation, computer and other options for same price.

why pay factory retail if you can get navigation + a whole lot more for the same price?

Check out Chazzg's "In Car PC" in the classifieds section. Mine will be arriving in the next few days and I will be posting info + pic's about the system and install as it goes in!

Rob Nance 05-05-2003 03:04 PM

Originally posted by all_bark
Get it without and add it in as aftermarket.

heres why:

factory nav = $2000.00

aftermarket kit comes with DVD, MPEG, Navigation, computer and other options for same price.

why pay factory retail if you can get navigation + a whole lot more for the same price?

Check out Chazzg's "In Car PC" in the classifieds section. Mine will be arriving in the next few days and I will be posting info + pic's about the system and install as it goes in!

OK, lets be reasonable here. The in-car-pc is not for everyone. I had thought about it myself, but then decided all that stuff other than NAV would just be neat toys. DVD would be useless as would most of the other features, for me. Then you have the fact that you have to do all kinds of booting and stuff just to get into the GPS. My factory nav just works, that's what 99% of the people are going to want.

labshark7 05-05-2003 03:07 PM

Originally posted by mrsnetpro
I have the nav, and when I was talking to a local audio expert, he said the issue with it is that the nav is tied into the radio and any upgrades would cost a lot more because of how it is wired. In fact, the volume is automatically lowered when the nav is in use. That is the only drawback to it, as once it tells me "in a half mile" or "in a mile keep to the left followed by a keep to the left" it seems to jump in three more times before the "event".

I will "settle" for upgrading the speakers, but leave the rest as is.

www.crutchfield.com has a harness that works fine with navigation and aftermarket systems. There is no modification necessary. Everything works perfectly

It does not cost more, either. In fact it is FREE with the purchase of an aftermarket deck. Find yourseld a new "expert."

Factory Nav is the best option by far. Hands down, you can argue all you want, but it works perfectly, fits perfectly and is not an expensive option, when compared to aftermarket.

Eric

rouxeny 05-05-2003 04:45 PM

I have an aftermarket Pioneer nav. It's great, I use it daily and it's sufficient for my needs.

However, if I had the money at time of purchase, I would have gotten a stock nav.

The aftermarket stereo issues can be resolved and the stock nav system is just better integrated. In order for me to use my nav, I need to juggle 1-2 remotes, instead of having this nice panel right in front of me.

My view
Aftermarket - cheaper, can get DVD/MP3
OEM - complete integration, bird's eye view is very nice

I haven't really compared the software between a Pioneer and stock yet.

I would avoid a touchscreen, namely because of fingerprints. They would become very obvious.

danchou 05-05-2003 07:21 PM

Thx for the help and your replies if anyone else has a different view on this, please let me know ill be ready to purchase soon.
btw. The navigation i mentioned i would look at would be touch screen so i dont think it will have remotes etc to it.

synth19 05-08-2003 01:22 PM

Anyone have pics of aftermarket Navi's in their Z?

Rob Nance 05-08-2003 01:58 PM

Originally posted by synth19
Anyone have pics of aftermarket Navi's in their Z?
best way is to search the audio forum for the word "NAV" or navigation.

rouxeny 05-08-2003 05:54 PM

Yeah, here's the thread with my Pioneer system running.

Pioneer Nav

I wish there was a FAQ thread where we could centrally locate a bunch of these threads.