MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   car audio experts...hook me up phat!! (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/320321-car-audio-experts-hook-me-up-phat.html)

TheBlackPearlZ 12-09-2007 09:23 AM

car audio experts...hook me up phat!!

wow did i just write phat. something must have gotten into me...

ok heres what i want to do but i know nothing about car audio. im going to have a local car audio store install all my stuff, but i need some help on what to get.

first off...i want my system to be LOUD...like overwhelmingly loud...just because i can...im thinking maybe the zenenclosures 10" in the middle with a jl audio w7 and then removing the spare tire for two more 12's...

now before everyone gets all crazy on me about removing the spare tire...i realize its a risk, but im willing to take it.

now as far as what i need to power all this madness...i knwo nothing about amps. i just know i need one. or maybe a few. what all do i need to power two 12's and a 10. and also im getting a z2 from pioneer and i realize these head units have issues with the stock bose sound system...so will i need all new speakers too? a capacitor maybe too?? someone whos an expert in this field hook me up. thanks guys

Kwame 12-09-2007 10:11 AM

What's your budget?

Subwoofers and stock bose speakers will not equate to a loud system it will equate to a migrane headache and that's about it.

TheBlackPearlZ 12-09-2007 10:19 AM

there is no budget...the only thing i ask is that everything is JL Audio...and that all the subs are W7's. and i want the Z2 head unit

doug 12-09-2007 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearlZ
but i know nothing about car audio.

there is no budget...the only thing i ask is that everything is JL Audio...and that all the subs are W7's. and i want the Z2 head unit

well i won't be offering any expertise... but now your first post makes sense

peace

Kwame 12-09-2007 10:55 AM

I am not qualified to assist you if JL Audio is what you are seeking. I am not a fan of their equipment.

kspec 12-09-2007 10:57 AM

yea..
idk about JL.

im going all Alpine in mine.
I got a kicker in my mazda and it cannot handle double bass and its a 10".

Ge|atinousFury 12-09-2007 01:23 PM

I would suggest doing more research on these forums (and other mobile audio forums) before you cut your product brand choices so severely. There's a lot of knowledge on this forum but by requiring everything to be JL audio you just negated roughly 95% of that collective knowledge. Despite the apparent hostility of some forum members to JL Audio, the truth of the matter is that JL Audio makes nice equipment. The catch is that you can get equipment that is just as nice or nicer for a lot less money if you open your eyes to the other mobile audio brands out there.

JAM3Z 12-09-2007 04:12 PM

i thought the JL audio W7 was one of the best subs available for car audio?

cbr900son 12-09-2007 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JAMEZ

It is great BUT for the moeny there a few subs alittle bit better and cheaper.

TurboTrey 12-09-2007 05:46 PM

No budget so it's not a big deal....just go to a custom shop and tell them money is not a problem and you want it as loud as it can be. $15-20k should cover it. Just tell them you want the most expensive JL stuff they have and it should be the most expensive. Do you think you could run 4 amps on one sub?

16psibrick 12-09-2007 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTrey
No budget so it's not a big deal....just go to a custom shop and tell them money is not a problem and you want it as loud as it can be. $15-20k should cover it. Just tell them you want the most expensive JL stuff they have and it should be the most expensive. Do you think you could run 4 amps on one sub?

the phrase "budget is no problem" is what usually gets customers into trouble with certain shop...

reference the first batch of pics:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/320053-redoing-an-all-zapco-sq-install-in-an-acura-tl.html

i agree with whats been said so far...if you want to stick with jl, and budget isnt an issue, then obviously go wtih the best jl has to offer for everything and you should be set...

key is still in the install though

b

StreetOC192 12-10-2007 03:52 AM

+1 on everything said here so far.

Although you say "no budget", that is not true. I can piece together a system that would cost upwards from $20,000 in equipment alone. Are you prepared for that investment? I somewhat doubt it. If you were willing to put that kind of money into car audio equipment, you would most likely be better versed in the branding and quality of car audio manufacturers and wouldn't be asking for advice.

Limiting your self to JL Audio means you pretty much answered your own question. It's like asking "I want a 10" sub but don't know what size sub I should get?" Just purchase top-of-the-line JL Audio ZR components in the doors with a 300/2 amp to power them, throw two 10W7's in a box, get a 500/1 amp for each sub and you should be set.

I agree JL Audio is one of the better mainstream car audio manufacturers for subs and amps. I feel their component offerings are not on par with other similar priced manufacturers. Everything JL offers comes with a premium price tag because of unparalleled marketing and sponsorships. High price tags DO NOT equate to best equipment.
JL Audio charges a lot to pay for their marketing so people think they are better.
Morel (and others) charge a lot to pay for R&D to make their products better.

TheBlackPearlZ 12-10-2007 04:40 AM

wow somehow this got blown out of proportion. i said no budget meaning i am ok with spending a few grand on this...not no 20k. ok let me break this down even further i guess....

i want to replace all my factory speakers with jl speakers....i want two 10's or two 12's and an amp each to power them...probably a 500/1 (but then again like i said i know little about this stuff so i dont know whats best) and then a new head unit...ie the Z2. thats it. i want to know what amp is best what speakers...that sort of info. maybe a 250/1 is better for each of them...i dont know.

StreetOC192 12-10-2007 04:58 AM

wow somehow this got blown out of proportion. i said no budget meaning i am ok with spending a few grand on this...not no 20k. ok let me break this down even further i guess....

i want to replace all my factory speakers with jl speakers....i want two 10's or two 12's and an amp each to power them...probably a 500/1 (but then again like i said i know little about this stuff so i dont know whats best) and then a new head unit...ie the Z2. thats it. i want to know what amp is best what speakers...that sort of info. maybe a 250/1 is better for each of them...i dont know.

As I said:

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Just purchase top-of-the-line JL Audio ZR components in the doors with a 300/2 amp to power them, throw two 10W7's in a box, get a 500/1 amp for each sub and you should be set.

So your shopping list is:
1x Pioneer AVIC Z2
2x JL Audio 10W7
1x JL Audio Evolution ZR650 csi
2x JL Audio 500/1v2 (or 1x JL Audio 1000/1v2)
1x JL Audio 300/2v2
Sound damping
Wire
Sub box
Door pods or kicks

I don't think you will have/find enough room in the Z for two 12W7's without A LOT of custom fabrication.

doug 12-10-2007 05:08 AM

maybe i'm a dumb as$ but this is some sh!t you didn't need to post..

1) you want all JL Equipment
2) money is not object

1 + 2 = buy the most expensive JL Equipment

350zspl 12-10-2007 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by JAMEZ

re-think

350zspl 12-10-2007 05:19 AM

the loudest your gonna get is to build a custom ported enclosure using 1each JL W7 13.5" , or maybe squeezing 2 each w7 12" ported

forget about using the pre fab box
forget about mixing 1 , 10" and 2, 12"

if you feel compelled to be able to say all my stuff is JL than so be it

if you go with 1 each ported 13.5" w7 than use 1 each 1000/1

if you go with 2 each ported 12" w7 than use 1 each 1000/1 on each sub

you will have enough room to use 1 each 13.5 perfectly ported
you will not have quite enough room to use 2 each 12" ported but can still do it , just with slightly less space than recommended

16psibrick 12-10-2007 07:19 AM

i think what everyones is trying to say is that if you are truly looking for the best overall sound, you shouldnt limit yourself to JL...

if you are already saying you want JL, then there is no point asking for opinions as you should just get hte best JL you can afford and put it in your car...

but i can tell you from my experience, most of the Zs i have done will sound better than what you are describing as wanting to do to yours and costs less money at the same time :)

350zspl 12-10-2007 08:15 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DVFlyer 12-10-2007 11:44 AM

I don't get the indication that the OP is interested in quality sound. He wants LOUD... in which case, 350zSPL has the most experience. :)

FWIW- I have two IDMAX12's running off of 1200watts (600 each) and it's pretty loud. ;)